What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Strange rattle/vibration at 2500-3000 rpm

chassmash

Reaction score
Hi
I sometimes get a strange rattle noise around 2500-3000 rpm when driving but only whilst going up or down gears not in neutral when reving is this something thts common?
1.6 thp 200 manual
Cheers

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be something like a heat shield rattling or, as I had once after a service, the air filter box lid not clipped back in place correctly.

It’s the certain vibration from the engine at a particular rev range under load that does it.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi
I sometimes get a strange rattle noise around 2500-3000 rpm when driving but only whilst going up or down gears not in neutral when reving is this something thts common?
1.6 thp 200 manual
Cheers
[/QUOT
Exhaust heat shields become loose over time & its a generic fault so just check the tightness of the fittings if it persists then it may be a vibration through the Engine mountings the top one on the the timing chain side is strangely a known culprit to fail

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The front strut top mounts were also mentioned in a “notice” to Pug dealers. If the owner complains, they can be replaced foc, but they are not subject to a recall. That’s not likely to be a rattle though, more of a clunk over bumps. (Not sure if it was across all variants & years).

chassmash

Reaction score
Would a worn timing chain cause this although I have no rattle on idle?

chassmash

Reaction score
The front strut top mounts were also mentioned in a “notice” to Pug dealers. If the owner complains, they can be replaced foc, but they are not subject to a recall. That’s not likely to be a rattle though, more of a clunk over bumps. (Not sure if it was across all variants & years).
Yes that's also an issue I have noticed but not related.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The timing chain tensioner slipping usually involves a rattle on startup or tickover. It’s unlikely that it would manifest itself at certain revs while driving.

chassmash

Reaction score
The timing chain tensioner slipping usually involves a rattle on startup or tickover. It’s unlikely that it would manifest itself at certain revs while driving.
Cheers for the info,I see your comment about the strut tops is that something you have needed to replace or has anyone else got them done for free?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I took mine in for a service a few years ago & mentioned a slight knock on occasion from the front. While they had it in they changed the top mounts on the front struts FOC & told me about the notice.

Pedro

Reaction score
Would a worn timing chain cause this although I have no rattle on idle?
Not on acceleration its usually cold starts & tensioner are issues with the chain this rattle is whilst the car is in motion so discount the chain have you had a exhaust fitted recently ?
The only other suspects are pulley related whereas a failing pulley will squeal intermittently & some have been known to rattle & scream when under load

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
It does sound like it a pulley to me had the same issue with one of my motors and when it was wet or raining it stopped....

chassmash

Reaction score
Its very strange ,Been out and about today no noise at all so hard to get my head around it.
Thanks for all the replys I will let you all know when I get to the bottom of it.

Goatz

Reaction score
thanks for this info. I have an odd rattling sound going over bumps that i am stumped trying to find. Perhaps this is the problem. So i can take my car to any dealership and this will replace foc?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Make sure they check for “notices” from Peugeot. You can tell them about the forum & members who have had this done.

As I said earlier, I don’t know if this applies across the full range of variants, so it’s probably a good idea to get them to check if it applies to yours before they do a diagnostic, otherwise you could be in for a decent bill.

Bobby D

Reaction score
I have a similar rattle especially when I set of in morning and auto box takes a little longer to change up. I think it sounds like an exhaust baffle. Got underneath recently and all heat shields were firmly attached.