What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Steering wheel vibration around 75mph

csige791

Reaction score
Steering wheel vibration around 75mph

Been on a MOT, i told them, the steering whell vibrate around 75mph.

- They rebalanced, still vibrate.
- Bought two new front tyres, still vibrate.
- Bring a another tyre garage, he rebalanced, still vibrate.
- Full alloy refurbishment, all balanced. Still vibrate, but at the different speed.
- Rebalanced again, still vibrate.

Any idea please.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Slow down 😂
On a serious note you say it vibrates at 75mph... When you go over this does it stop.. I have had similar experience
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

csige791

Reaction score
Slow down 😂
On a serious note you say it vibrates at 75mph... When you go over this does it stop.. I have had similar experience
Les n Co
Yes, you are right.
First time do at 70-73. Normally i drive on speed limit, but after we doing something with the wheels, i testing. It's not ok any vibration on any speed.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the surface between the alloy and hub and make sure it’s absolutely pristine, I always like to put a smear of copper grease on hubs but I found that on the RCZ it caused vibration like you’ve witnessed.
Other than that could be discs

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Worn-out suspension parts can also attribute to magnify the vibrations.
Does it have many miles on the clock?

Pedro

Reaction score
As stated above but normally wheels out of balance but it has been known for track rod ends/drop link rods/steering rack arms/ anti roll bar bushes/wheel alignment- camber? Maybe check the steering rack as these have been known to cause issues

NF7

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm having aggressive shaking issues with my car.

Basically it got worse since I put on my summer tyres - they were balanced two times and no solution.

I can feel the heavier vibration on the steering wheel starting at 90kmh up to 125kmh, but when I slightly (like only about 10 degrees in each direction) turn the wheel - either left or right - the shaking goes nuts, but only if the gas pedal is pressed (or the cruise control is activated). If the car is cruising through that corner - no shaking is felt.

Any ideas? No engine lights. It only happens in this speed window. At lower speeds, no shaking, no issues turning (full lock either side).

lfe

Reaction score
Well, probably one of the tires has some deformity or has not been well mounted, well placed on the rim all around the edge. To avoid this, they usually put soapy water in the edge.

Just because it's well balanced with weights doesn't mean it turns perfectly round

NF7

Reaction score
Well, probably one of the tires has some deformity or has not been well mounted, well placed on the rim all around the edge. To avoid this, they usually put soapy water in the edge.

Just because it's well balanced with weights doesn't mean it turns perfectly round
I would think two different shops would notice something like that no? And wouldn't this imbalance be noticeable as vibration regardless of gas pedal position?

lfe

Reaction score
The tire touches the ground in a slightly different area depending on whether it goes straight, turns, brakes or accelerates.

Balancing machines have a cap that covers the wheel when it rotates. It may be that the out-of-roundness has gone unnoticed.

And if you already had vibration with the previous tires, it may be that at least in part there is also some deformity in the rim.

Last edited:

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to put one of the front wheel with tyre on the rear and see what happens just by swapping one over as vibration is via front wheels as the rear tyres or only dragging..
Les n Co

NF7

Reaction score
Basically - the vibration while turning and accelerating was not there with winter tyres. The only thing that changed is the rubber. Every rim stayed on the same side as it was.

Pedro

Reaction score
Balance the fronts on the car to eliminate any wheel balance issue also check the alignment on both sides for track rod end/control arm bushes

RCZKam

Reaction score
Basically it got worse since I put on my summer tyres - they were balanced two times and no solution.

You say it got worse when the summer tyres went on, so you had some issues before then?

Also silly question but is the speed tyre rating correct for the summer tyres?

NF7

Reaction score
You say it got worse when the summer tyres went on, so you had some issues before then?

Also silly question but is the speed tyre rating correct for the summer tyres?
These are the same tyres I had last year, and there was no shaking. Slight shaking was always present, as we have a bit uneven roads (lots of potholes filled) but when I put on the summer tyres - the shaking went ballistic (but only when turning the car slightly under acceleration or constant gas pedal).

RCZKam

Reaction score
These are the same tyres I had last year, and there was no shaking. Slight shaking was always present, as we have a bit uneven roads (lots of potholes filled) but when I put on the summer tyres - the shaking went ballistic (but only when turning the car slightly under acceleration or constant gas pedal).

Was your summer wheels stored where they may have become loaded on top of or caused the tyres to have a flat spot or deformity as Ife said

I would try as mentioned above swapping front for rears if they are all the same size/rating but unless you are swapping the same front two as you used last year then if you have a defect it’ll be harder to find as you may be running the front two used last year diagonally now

If it doesn’t shake then at least you know you are running the rears from last year on the front now

If that waffle all makes sense that is :confused:

Trial and error unfortunately

Reactions: NF7

NF7

Reaction score
I only store tyres, so they were stored normally like every year before that. They are always swapped LF to LR and RR to RF. Will try different stuff.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
If nothing else changed in your setup, beside swapping the tyres, then those might be the culprit. Maybe they were not put correctly on the rims while swapping for the winter tyres.
And balancing them in two different shops does not guarantee they are now balanced. Do you trust those shops they know what they do?

NF7

Reaction score
If nothing else changed in your setup, beside swapping the tyres, then those might be the culprit. Maybe they were not put correctly on the rims while swapping for the winter tyres.
And balancing them in two different shops does not guarantee they are now balanced. Do you trust those shops they know what they do?
Yeah, I've used both shops before as friends work there (sometimes the first shop is so full that they cannot squeeze me inside so I use another one).