What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare Wheel

the big blue

Reaction score
I was wondering whether forum members having purchased a full size spare wheel have noticed an adverse difference to the handling characteristics of their Z as a result of the extra weight carried over the rear? :helpme:

When I purchased my Z there was no inflation kit etc in the boot so the dealer is acquiring me the kit and wheel brace etc from Peugeot which costs over £200 ! This made me wonder whether the decision to equip RCZ's with inflation kits as opposed to a spare wheel was more to do with weight than the actual cost. I say the latter as I imagine that the cost price for Peugeot to include an actual spare wheel at the build stage would not be significantly more than the cost of the inflation kit when factored in to the overall price per car. The latter especially as it appears a spare wheel would be the preferred choice for most buyers.

The media are always going on about obesity so hence my initial question, is the omission of a spare wheel more to do with weight Not cost, not that you could ever call the Z with its chic stealth like silhouette fat. :auto-car: :auto-car: :auto-car:

the big blue

A

Anonymous

The reduction in weight has a positive effect on the emissions and helps to achieve the EuroCap emission limits. I was told this by a director of Peugeot UK. When I asked him about the lack of a spare wheel.

A

Anonymous

I was told something different that tyre manufactures don't want punctures fixed. So after u've pumped that gunge into ur flat garages won't fix it saying it's been driven on and insist u by a new one. More money for tyre company's.

A

Anonymous

Seems less likely to me bigun. Can't imagine that the tyre manufacturer has that much sway over the car manufacturer.

RCZ1

Reaction score
It does cut costs. More and more car manufacturers now don't give you a spare wheel or space saver. You get the gunge instead. As I've said before every new car I've had in the 11 years as had gunge instead of a spare wheel.
It's just part of car ownership now for me.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
The reduction in weight has a positive effect on the emissions and helps to achieve the EuroCap emission limits. I was told this by a director of Peugeot UK. When I asked him about the lack of a spare wheel.

Yeah but this must make such a microscopic difference. I'd like to see the data!!!

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
OO58RON said:

Yeah but this must make such a microscopic difference. I'd like to see the data!!!
Not too sure about that Rizz. I've noticed a difference in my MPG since acquiring the spare. Anyways that's the answer I got to my question. (or at least a paraphrased version of it from my failing memory)

the big blue

Reaction score
Thanks all for your enlightenment on the subject :thumbup: . It was just something that I was pondering over when the Dealer told me the inflation kit was just over £200 ,,especially as Ive seen a retailer selling matt black 19 inch Sortilege's online for £265 admittedly thats minus the cost of the rubber hoop!

I've only had "the big blue" (me and the car share the same name) for just over a week and from what Ive read on the Forum about availability of black hoops in 235, 40. 19 I'm considering buying a tyre and maybe keeping it in the spare wheel void in the boot for emergency fitment. At least then in the event I need an unscheduled tyre change at least I won't have to wait for a tyre retailer to order one in and pay their premium price seeing as they're generally not a stock item just to get me back on the road.

.....A tyre and no spare wheel being my compromise against obesity! :thumbdown:

.the big blue

RCZ1

Reaction score
Big blue - you are not being charged £200 for the inflation kit are you? This comes with the car and should have been in there when you collected it.

A

Anonymous

Personally, I think that you are right to carry a spare for the reasons that you have mentioned. As well as the fact, if you was to be away from home when you get a puncture, you can change the wheel and carry on with your journey, at normal travelling speeds, as opposed to the lower limits set if you have the gung in your tyres. It also means that you can get your punctured tyre repaired rather than replaced, as you would need to replace a tyre that had had the gung inside, because very few (if any) tyre places will spend the time removing all of the gunk.

The downside to this solution are the extremely poor jacking points of these cars. You will need to carry a good car jack and bare in mind that none have been designed to fit the RCZ. So consider very carefully and maybe read the threads on here about jacking points.

A

Anonymous

£200 for inflation kit or holts tyre weld £9.99 from halfords does same job.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for your input, ..and to think that once a humble spare wheel and jack not to mention suitable jacking points were a basic feature of a car and its progress that has brought us to where we are now! :happy-wavemulticolor:

Hi RCZ1 & you're rite about the Dealer meeting the extortionate cost of the inflation kit which I noticed was missing upon picking up the car after purchase, and indeed its a lot of money for a version of Holts tyre weld! Maybe I should have asked
for the £200 to go towards a spare wheel instead. Regardless of all of this I luv the dolphin blue car and all that its bold & courageous styling represents ,,as do all other Z owners i'm sure. :beer:

.the big blue

A

Anonymous

You still require the inflation kit. Assuming by this you do not yet have the compressor? As previously mentioned, you need to slightly deflate the tyre in order for it to sit in the tyre well. So clearly it needs pumping up again if the spare wheel is to be used. So you need a compressor, suitable jack, wheel brace and ideally a torque wrench too. However it does give a great deal of peace of mind knowing that, like in the good old days, you can actually change a wheel (albeit carefully) :roll:

the big blue

Reaction score
OO58RON ..wot I need at the moment more than a spare wheel, compressor, wheel brace & torque wrench etc is a course
on avoiding damn Kerbs :-o as I have grazed against them twice now whilst manoeuvring into my driveway :brickwall: Although only a slight slight graze to the nearside front black Sortilege the tears I shed were almost equal to that had I got a puncture!

I guess driving on the Z's low profile rubber hoops requires greater skill & finesse than that of my previous Celica's 205. 50 R16's ,,which now seem agricultural in comparison!

.the big blue :oops:

A

Anonymous

You do need to learn the art of maneuvering without allowing your alloys to get a sniff of a kerb. Kerbs are like cat nip for cats, they just have to rub against them :lol: