What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

FGRob

Reaction score
Dear All.

Can I ask the people that have purchased a spare wheel to give details in this thread, which I will then make a sticky for everyone to see, I suggest the following format:

Type of wheel used, including size etc.

Size of tyre used

Type of jack used

Type of wheel brace used

Modification to wheel well - how things fit in

Also an indication to price and where items were purchased from

And finally a comments section should you want to add anything further.

Thanks for your help with this.
Rob

A

Anonymous

great idea Robb,I gave up on alternatives and decided to buy a replacement wheel same as car,Davie bought one at a reasonable £500 including tyre and jack,but my dealer quoted lots more. Davie doesnt accept PM's so I have posted a request on his thread,quite frustrating no real space wheel that fits well

Davie

Reaction score
Hi FG Robb,This spare wheel thing has been a problem for our friends on the forum,hopefully this will resolve it,
My brother has contacts with Peugeot so i got 20% off,this is what i paid.

Soltice Alloy £343.08
Tyre 235x40x19 £109.58
Vat £79.22
Total £531.88

I ordered a jack from Peugeot for RCZ £30,Probably cheaper ones around,
Telescopic wheel brace with socket £6.99 from TK max they have a good tool section

You have to deflate tyre for it to fit in the well,3 mins approx to inflate.see pics below

IT FITS IN WELL,hope this answers some of the questions,Best Wishes Davie.

A

Anonymous

Davie, was this 20% discount classed as staff discount ? I am working on my dealer to match it

A

Anonymous

looks like my best price is £625 for wheel,tyre and jack, so with my accessory discount for pointing out an error on peugeot.co.uk car builder,I will have £525 to pay

GT RCZ

Reaction score
Here is my solution to the spare wheel issue.

The steel space saver from a 2008 407

Peugeot Part No. 5401R4 Cost £48

The tyre size is 135/80 x 17m Continental tyre total cost £67

Brand new Jack for & tools off Ebay £20

Total cost £135

NOTE This will only fit the rear as the front disc is too big.

Can confirm that the wheel will fit nicely into boot well with ample space for compressor, jack & all tools.

Davie

Reaction score
What do you do if its a front wheel puncture?.

A

Anonymous

I recon you need two jacks and then jugle the wheels-bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GT RCZ

Reaction score
Easy

Jack up the rear fit the spare & fit the alloy to the front.

Your then free to carry on your journey without having to be recovered by a tow truck.

A

Anonymous

must be my age or something-thats great- bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A

Anonymous

GT RCZ
Interested in your remedy for the Space saver Wheel/Tyre, but can you clarify what diameter wheels have you on your car. I've 19" wheels and obvioiusly a 17" would cause severe handling issues.
Also would you have to use different wheel nuts ?
Interested to see your response.
My Regards

A

Anonymous

Hi FGRob, This is the route that I have chosen to take regarding the spare wheel issue.
Type of Wheel Full size 19” Solstice Black Onyx. Price = (£320.59 + vat) I paid £280 + vat.
Tyre Pressure Sensor Valve Price = (£107.35 + vat) I paid £85 + vat.
Type of Tyre Continental 235/40/19 96w rated. Price = £235.00 Independent tyre fitter.
Type of Jack Scissor Jack from Motorworld. Price = not sure. £14?
Type of Wheel Brace Expandable 17” and 19” socket. Price = £6.00 Tesco.
Puncture repaired Independent tyre fitter. Price = £10
Wheel and Pressure sensor from main dealer Inc vat. = £428.88 total.
Total Price = £693.88
My punctured tyre and new 19” solstice black onyx is now the spare wheel with a brand new Continental fitted onto car. The spare has been pumped up with 2psi over the front tyre pressures to allow for any air loss, as the front tyre pressures are higher than the rears on the 2.0HDI. The correct pressure can be adjusted depending upon which end of the car has the puncture, hopefully without the need to use the compressor which is still in the boot, just in case. The spare does not sit fully in the spare wheel recess owing to the full inflation of the tyre. The space lost as a result is insignificant to me owing to the large boot space. (My wife likes to go shopping in her A*** A3 anyway). I can then fit the spare onto the car without the need to use the compressor. This is just an extra precaution on my part. I always carry a tyre pressure gauge as part of my precautionary tool kit. Should my alloys get dinged I can change it over until it’s repaired.
I had my puncture (nail) whilst at the dealers on my first check up. I was told when my RCZ was being handed back to me; did I know I had a puncture? My puncture could not be repaired as their machine did not fit my 19” rims. After inspecting the car the offending nail was found in the middle of the tread with the tyre fully inflated. I was able to drive the few miles to my local independent tyre fitter, which I have used for many years, who plugged my tyre in less than 10mins.
On returning to the dealer to order my new wheel I found that they did try to repair my puncture. It was at this point the dealer found out their equipment had to be upgraded for the RCZ range; this upgrade is now in the process of taking place. I commented that with at least 4 other dealers and 3 tyre depots in very close proximity a repair could have been practical without me having to drive away. Customer service not at its best but at least it worked out ok in the end, apart from the expense of course.
I have also added an item to my RCZ tool kit in the way of a puncture repair kit which I used to keep under the saddle of my Honda VFR 800 motorbike. To me this product is still better than the moose, as long as the tyre is repairable. Some of the female members may find it hard to push in the plug, and still prefer to moose up the tyre. A call to the rescue service may still be required. Did I read somewhere that tyres were not covered under the Peugeot rescue package?
Hope this helps. It may not suit everyone but it is my solution to a gross omission by Peugeot.
jrs. :greetings-wavingblue:

GT RCZ

Reaction score
Hi

I have 19" wheels.

The space saver is 17" but has a 80% profile, as this will be fitted to the rear only the circumference will have no other effect.

The standard wheel bolts are designed to be used with both alloy and steel wheels, the picture I have posted shows the chamfer on the bolt. when the steel wheel is used the washer remains loose. This is ok as detailed in the handbook.

As for the handling then the wheel has a limited top speed of 50mph and obviously is not designed for high speed cornering.

Having had a Z4 previously with special run flat tyres nearly found my self stuck on the Isle of Man with no tyres available for two days. Not what I want when on holiday, this way I can keep mobile.

A

Anonymous

spacesaver tyre

hi all
anyone thinking of getting the space saver option that rczgt recomended needs to get a move on got the rim no probs but ive had a real problem getting the 135/80x17 tyre. dealer could not get one tried at least 8 other companys all well known and evryone told me the same that it was on back order and could not say when they could get it apart from it would be after christmas ?? and then no promise when . i managed to get one from kwik fit after a strugle and it was the only one they could get . so be warned there like rocking horse s~~t

A

Anonymous

I eneded up buying a spare soltice alloy,£625, but now have piece of mind

A

Anonymous

does anyone know if a 18inch standard alloy will fit the boot well