What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spain doc's

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
No, not doctors, but WAFFLE on documents.
Thinking about EuroCoC, got me going on the number of documents you are expected to carry here in Spain when driving.
Things evolve, so there may be some recent relaxation, but certainly when we arrived fourteen years ago the following were needed to be shown on demand.

First off, who are you?
A Spaniard just has to carry an id card, size of a bank card.
Us extranjeros (strangers - foreigners) have to be able to show a photo id, which the standard passport will do.
Our resident status is an A4 formal document but without photo.
And to prove where we live, a recent print from the town hall empadronamiento is needed.
So we carry: passport; certificado de residente; certificado de empadronamiento.
THREE docs each.

Are you allowed to drive?
I am driving, so I need to be able to produce a driving licence when asked by trafico (cops).
So: carnet de conducir.
ONE doc.

Is the car legal?
Each car must be approved for use on the road, so a permit for that.
Proving the car is what it is, is a technical sheet.
Legal minimum insurance paid for.
Town hall "road" tax paid for the year.
If needed, an ITV (MoT) pass certificate and expiry date sticker for the windscreen.
So these: permiso de circulacion; ficha tecnica; recibo de seguro; recibo de IVTM. IF needed - certificado de ITV and sticker.
FOUR (or FIVE) docs.

Eight or nine in total; good, innit?
:crazy:

ianGT156

Reaction score
Good grief Stewart!!

As far as I know, we don't have to carry anything in our cars or on us. I'm quite certain though that under some circumstances you'll have to produce somehing. However, Insurance, MOTs, Driving Licences, Vehicle Registration documents are all online so maybe you don't, I'm sure somebody can correct me.

Anyway Stewart, all those docs seem immaterial as you live in gorgeous sunny España which must surely make it worthwhile :D