What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

SORN Time?

2retro

Reaction score
There's no end in sight to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic and it's an almost certainty that a full UK lockdown will be in force soon.

So if your RCZ is going to be sat on your drive (not on the road) for a while it might be worth registering a SORN (statutory off-road notification) application to get back some of that road tax you won't be using.

You can do it online and you'll get any unused full months of tax back so do it today before midnight if you are going to, before April begins...

Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)

Stay safe out there, people. 😷 👍

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The problem with that is, if you declare it SORN, you can’t have it insured. It has to be taxed to be insured.

A neighbour of mine recently had an operation on his shoulder that left him unable to drive for at least 3 months. He wanted to SORN his new Audi A6, but found out he would have to cancel his insurance, so he decided against it.

2retro

Reaction score
I don't think that's entirely accurate. It's true you can't insure a car without tax but if it's already insured and you declare it off road for a month or 2 due to a global pandemic the like of which we've never experienced in our lifetimes?

"As all vehicles registered in the UK must now be continuously insured, sending a SORN to the DVLA is also the only way to legally avoid paying to insure it."

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hmmm, just going on what the guy up the road told me. It seemed plausible. Odd that his insurance company told him he couldn’t SORN it or his insurance would be invalid. He said he couldn’t risk it as it’s a nearly new car.🤔

Kerr

Reaction score
I'll still be using my cars sparingly.

The R is only £160 per year. It's not a big saving to try and tuck it away for a few months.

Reaction score
Hi.
If anyone's interested in laid up insurance during this period then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.