What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Shock absorbers - struts . . .

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m sure the originals are Bilstein and of very high quality 👍

MPC

Reaction score

indoldn

Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing mine as well but have not made up my mind whether to go coilovers or not. I don't think I want to lower the car too much, perhaps 10mm max as I feel it's low enough for me as it is, plus I will install Maxton front, rear splitter and side skirts. Originally I was thinking about KW v2 but a lot pricier than B14.

MPC

Reaction score
the b14 can be set to highest, and i think that is near stock. the b12 are a set-lower so those should then be avoided if you want to stay close to stock

If replacing suspension, definitely go coilovers, it transforms the car into an even greater driver's car (ive driven a thp200 with the B14's, and it was superb)

indoldn

Reaction score
the b14 can be set to highest, and i think that is near stock. the b12 are a set-lower so those should then be avoided if you want to stay close to stock

If replacing suspension, definitely go coilovers, it transforms the car into an even greater driver's car (ive driven a thp200 with the B14's, and it was superb)
Thanks for that info, might consider it. Just looked at it again and B14 is 15mm front and 20mm rear. I was planning to replace all the bushes with powerflex purple and thought I might as well do the suspension at the same time. Car done 69,000 miles.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Be careful with polyurethane bushes. I've known people who have changed bushes and turned their car from something that was pleasant enough on a long trip, to something you want to set fire to after 10 minutes. Because the bushes introduced loads of NVH.

A popular swap for the GT86 is the rear gearbox mount. Which as lots of people will attest, adds a nice action to the gear change. It also adds loads of extra noise.

MPC

Reaction score
Talking about gearboxes, i remember reading a recommendation here on what oil to use for the 6MT, but i cant find it anymore?
But yeah, bushes sound nice, but they dont have to feel nice. Also, engine mounts are often overlooked, but with other cars i found they can be a night and day difference. Any clue on aftermakret engine mounts for the RCZ, as mine need replacement next service?

indoldn

Reaction score
Talking about gearboxes, i remember reading a recommendation here on what oil to use for the 6MT, but i cant find it anymore?
But yeah, bushes sound nice, but they dont have to feel nice. Also, engine mounts are often overlooked, but with other cars i found they can be a night and day difference. Any clue on aftermakret engine mounts for the RCZ, as mine need replacement next service?
I went with Red Line MT-90 as recommended by someone here.

indoldn

Reaction score
@indoldn really make that much of a difference?
In my case I didn't notice any difference in terms of smoothness. I think the previous owner already replaced it not too long ago. Car done around 68,000 mile. FYI, comparison pics of the oil.

Comparison 1.jpgComparison 2.jpg

French Letter

Reaction score

French Letter

Reaction score
Got my answer:

This is a very common question!

There is a big difference between them, not just the colour!

Bilstein B4 dampers are classed as a replacement damper, this means they are a direct replacement shock absorber of the original factory fitted shocks. In some cases however oil shock absorbers are fitted as standard on some vehicles so the B4 is effectively an upgrade as it's a gas pressurized damper. These dampers are painted Black.

Bilstein B6 is an uprated shock absorber and is sometimes know as Bilstein B6 Sport. These have been extensively developed to give a sporty ride without lowering your vehicle. Generally they are a mono tube high pressure gas shock absorber meaning consistent performance and a sporty ride. These dampers are painted yellow.

This is just a very basic explanation without going into technical detail.