What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Scored/scratched inner door handles.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys ! This is my first post in the forum, I did do a search to see if anything came up for what I was gonna ask but I couldn't find anything, so apologies if I missed it.

I finally got myself a Peugeot RCZ 1.6 2 weeks ago from a private dealer ! I wanted one when they were first out but couldn't afford it at the time, so I was so so happy to finally be able to get my hands on one. For a 2011 reg it's got full service history, only 26k miles on the clock and is in amazing condition so was very happy for the price I got it at. (7800 including my deposit).

Anyway onto the subject, it IS in good condition overall, however the previous owner apparently liked either wearing jewellery on their right hand or was careless with the key, because the inner door handle (both the grab handle and the area around the actual door handle) are scratched and scored to buggery, which is really irritating me. I was wondering what the best option would be to restore them ? Should I use a fine sandpaper to try get the scratches and chips out and repaint it and finish it or what ? Would I be better off just getting a cover for them if they're available at all, or is it possible to still buy a new one to replace them altogether ? I've attached some images below (Excuse the poor light):

Any advice would be much appreciated ! :D

Attachments

• DSC_1402.JPG
    DSC_1402.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 3,232
  • DSC_1403.JPG
    DSC_1403.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 3,234

braveheart

Reaction score
Most people get them wrapped rather than replacing them mate

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have seen covers available, try EBay. They should be pretty straightforward to wrap if you fancy that instead.

Btw looking at the photos, WTF ? Did the previous owner have claws :eek:

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I didn't think of wrapping them honestly ! I'll look into some covers too :)

And I know, god knows what they did :shock: !

Stu8

Reaction score
Your inner door handle surrounding is covered like most of the black plastic in your Z, in a rubberised black paint, I also had some scratches off the previous owner, so first I tried wrapping them which looked ok but then I got bored with the look so I peeled all that rubber paint off and sprayed them myself , they now look factory fresh with the added bonus of if you catch a nail or something on them they do not scratch happy days.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbup:
When I bought my Z it had covers on the door handles faux leather they looked well crap I’d steer clear of those mate.
I think your better off going with one of the three options other members have mentioned wrap/repaint/replace with second hand parts. :beer:

tianorth

Reaction score
Just had a look on the Peugeot system and got this info.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
tianorth said:
Just had a look on the Peugeot system and got this info.

Did I just read that right? £491 inc vat for a bloody door handle!!!! :crazy:

Hope the breakers don’t see that!

tianorth

Reaction score
No you read it wrong.

£341.34 not inc vat
£409.61 inc vat.

See not as bad as you thought![FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the tips guys, yeahhh I didn't think it'd be +400 quid for a door handle :wtf: :wtf: Maybe not that option ! I think I'll probably go with the wrapping route and plastidip :D

ajay16

Reaction score
Sorry to drag up an old thread...but how on earth do you remove these trims?
Does the whole door card have to come off?

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
The handle clip off but very tight use correct plastic tools. If you use a screwdriver will cause damage...

wilsofar

Reaction score
Just had a quick look on eBay and there is a scratch free one for a£29.95.

i got one for £18 last year.

So they are out there!

Easy to fit but use a plastic bladed tool.

ajay16

Reaction score
Cheers peeps!

My RCZ went in for some warranty work at Perrys, came back with a nice deep scratch on the drivers door. Rage.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they’re quite tough to get off it’s just the silver part that splits from the handle use a plastic trim removal tool and work from the top when you get near the bottom there’s like a plastic clip that goes through a hoop so you have to release this don’t just pull or you’ve a chance of breaking the clip.0564E67A-0BD4-4B86-9C30-F158D2D6BAF0.jpeg