What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Roof Arches Seal

NF7

Reaction score
What can be done? My roof arch seal has failed from the middle of the big rear window, right down to the edge where it meets the bodywork? The part that failed is the one sticking the seal to the glass. Any glue recommendation? Or do I have to remove the whole arch and put on the new seals?

Best regards,

NF7

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't think you can get new seals for the arches as it's part of the whole arch the seal don't stop the water as just protects the glass from any contact with the arches, are they black or silver arches

NF7

Reaction score
Don't think you can get new seals for the arches as it's part of the whole arch the seal don't stop the water as just protects the glass from any contact with the arches, are they black or silver arches
Black arches. How is it glued originally? Since the other side is completely glued to the window.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
There aren't glued to the windows just pressing on the glass as when I have removed arches from the car all seals are fixed to the actual arch and not glued down.
Post some photos to let us see what up as if the rubber seals are gone then replacement arch may be required

NF7

Reaction score
There aren't glued to the windows just pressing on the glass as when I have removed arches from the car all seals are fixed to the actual arch and not glued down.
Post some photos to let us see what up as if the rubber seals are gone then replacement arch may be required
Here are the photos. Only part that touches the window, side bodywork has a gap. That part of the seal that is glued to the arch is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 36

Pedro

Reaction score
The design is so that the water will run off on the inside of the arches & escape over the boot panel and or into the boot drain & out of the bottom of the rear of car your Arches look like they have been taken off & not refitted correctly?

NF7

Reaction score
The design is so that the water will run off on the inside of the arches & escape over the boot panel and or into the boot drain & out of the bottom of the rear of car your Arches look like they have been taken off & not refitted correctly?
Thing is, this happened recently since I was checking this part of the car 2 months back and it was fine (Left Arch was the same as the Right Arch).

Jumper

Reaction score
They do look like they may have been taken off before as mentioned and not fitted properly. For now I'd be looking at some black sillicon sealant in that gap to stop moisture getting in. For the window you could try clear sillicon sealant. Just tape off the body and glass area and leave it to dry. Then may be in the future take the arch off and re seal the whole arch.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Where the arches fit the area to the back near the boot the seals do move in and look not fitted correctly it's very easy to remove the arches and refit them and put some rubber treatments on the seals as to help with the flexibility of the seal...

NF7

Reaction score
They do look like they may have been taken off before as mentioned and not fitted properly. For now I'd be looking at some black sillicon sealant in that gap to stop moisture getting in. For the window you could try clear sillicon sealant. Just tape off the body and glass area and leave it to dry. Then may be in the future take the arch off and re seal the whole arch.
Would it be a good time to do that while having my arches wrapped? Do they need to come off for the wrapping?

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of RCZers have had there's wrapped with the arches on the car but you can see where they have been cut and risk of cutting into the seals also I had the wife's arches spray gloss black and look good... The choice is yours to make...

Pedro

Reaction score
They do look like they may have been taken off before as mentioned and not fitted properly. For now I'd be looking at some black silicon sealant in that gap to stop moisture getting in. For the window you could try clear silicon sealant. Just tape off the body and glass area and leave it to dry. Then may be in the future take the arch off and re seal the whole arch.
The only trouble with silicone is if some of it breaks away & finds it way into the drain holes then this could lead to further problems I just think its odd he has suddenly found this problem if its water ingress then the Arch need to come off & to be realigned with the roof if they have been refitted badly or someone has botched it up

NF7

Reaction score
There were signs, that the windshield was replaced before I bought the car. I guess the roof arch on the left was not realigned properly then, although the gap only started showing in the last couple of months - I remember distinctly that there was no gap when I was inspecting the car in October.

I'll be doing a regular check-up in late January at the dealer and I'll tell them to fix the arch aswell.

Jumper

Reaction score
Would it be a good time to do that while having my arches wrapped? Do they need to come off for the wrapping?
It would appear that some owners have had them removed to wrap them and some owners have had them done in situ. I wont pretend to know anything about wrapping but I'm sure the people who do the job would know better. I would put a temp seal in there before water gets in. I sillicon glued my spare repaired brake light and its solid as a rock no sealant has broke off it in three years.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
It would appear that some owners have had them removed to wrap them and some owners have had them done in situ. I wont pretend to know anything about wrapping but I'm sure the people who do the job would know better. I would put a temp seal in there before water gets in. I sillicon glued my spare repaired brake light and its solid as a rock no sealant has broke off it in three years.
If your talking about the seal that sits at the rear of the arch and rests on the rear quarter panel, there’s no need to silicone it up as there’s nothing for water to get into there it’s just a buffer between arch and bodywork.0127EC0F-AD1B-49DA-8B7C-49B61278D468.jpegA0E19F08-51C3-4C9D-ADF2-AEC3F56FCBA9.jpeg18EC8DEE-2D4A-4155-8C06-A8F9B68D9F15.jpeg

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If your windscreen has been replaced, the arches will have had to be removed to do the job. I had a new screen fitted several years ago by National Glass and the fitter had to remove mine.

C5025369-5F95-4945-9DA3-DBBC9E0E7BD4.jpeg

As has been pointed out, the seals are only there as a buffer between the arch and the glass/bodywork. As far as I could see, they didn’t have any other functionality such as preventing water ingress.

NF7

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

I'll be going to the dealer soon and ask if they suggest removing the arch and fixing the position or what is the next step.

Due to all the seals around the arch, I'm a bit sceptical about removing it myself.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

I'll be going to the dealer soon and ask if they suggest removing the arch and fixing the position or what is the next step.

Due to all the seals around the arch, I'm a bit sceptical about removing it myself.
It is quite an easy job but a bit nervey the first time you do it it really is a two person job as not to hit the arch on the bonnet when removing.👍

Reactions: NF7

NF7

Reaction score
It is quite an easy job but a bit nervey the first time you do it it really is a two person job as not to hit the arch on the bonnet when removing.👍
As I'll be removing the arch as soon as the weather gets better, I have a question about the window seal. Is the seal easily refitted?

I was inspecting the area and was afraid I'd tear something.