What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Replacing the HPFP - advice needed

RossJ

Reaction score
So after the dreaded P0087 message has become an almost daily occurence I assume it's time to replace the HPFP, not surprising at around 93K miles, it's done well (THP 200 Petrol). I feel I have enough experience to attempt to do it myself and I've watched a few guides but I have a few questions and if anyone could help I'd be most appreciative:

• Any other tools needed apart from:
    • 12mm spanner for high pressure line
    • T30 torx for the HPFP bolts
    • Torque wrench + crows foot for HP line reinstallation
  • I've seen it mentioned that the battery will need removing in order to get the pump out, is this true and is there a guide for how to do this as I've heard it's not as simple as on many cars?
  • I've found the guy on ebay who reconditions the pumps, but it says it's for "1.6 THP 150,156,175BHP Turbo engines" - will this also be OK for the THP 200? I also see there are other "new" pumps on ebay around the £150 mark, I assume these will be dodgy Chinese versions that I should avoid?

Any other gotchas I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-22-00-06-40-507_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-22-00-06-40-507_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 17

Flanners

Reaction score
Think there are two types of HPFP supplied (?) the 156 uses the cheaper one and the 200/R use the much more expensive variety, guess there are pattern HPFP's, if I was purchasing a new one given the issues on these things and their failure rate for owners I would go OE from Peugeot (heard the newer supplied one's are more resilient). Mine went at very low miles, surprised you have got to 93K!

Some users on here have posted recently with good results from having had their HPFP pump reconditioned by the chap on eBay. Got to be worth a punt at the price being charged versus the OE pump at £00s; I would consider it if my failed and I was paying for the replacement.

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
When recoupling the fuel inlet be careful as you need to make sure the pipes flared end is fully inside the opening otherwise you can easily cross the threaded union as the pipe tends to springs back out of the hole also there is a white nylon slip ring which just slides off & on again don't drop it down the back of the engine if you can help it otherwise if you lose it may be a dealer only part?
So basically if the engine has been run before you start leave it to go cold allowing the fuel pressure to drop then you can get cracking stripping it out
Good luck

RossJ

Reaction score
Thanks all, I think I'll go for a new OE Peugeot part considering it's the THP 200 and means I won't be without a car while I wait for the reconditioning. Found a 1920.RT one for £332 delivered which I'm happy with considering the lack of other problems I've had over the last 18 months of ownership! (touch wood....)

Wish me luck!

Trevparamedic

Reaction score
We had ours reconditioned by Mike on e-bay and we saw a massive improvement with the fuel pressure, only took 3 or 4 days.
I used a reasonable OBD code reader to see the fuel pressure readings before and after.
As long as you take pictures of where the wires bolt onto the battery casing fuse board its quite straight forward to remove the battery.
Good luck with it all.

Kerr

Reaction score
I used Mike on eBay for the HPFP on my R. The car runs great.

If you're getting a genuine pump for £332 then it's a great deal. I'd make sure it's coming from a reputable source and not a refurbished pump.

Calibrazxr750

Reaction score
I recently changed mine, also on a 200 THP and it was very easy to do. Getting the old one out was a bit of a faff, but the new one took about 5 mins to fit. The postman delivered it and 15 mins later, I was out on a test drive, (I had already stripped it down a few days before). I did not remove the battery, just the air pipe and MAF sensor and a few little bits that get in the way. I don't know if this is really a tip, but I made sure that I did not disturb the old one after removing it, so as to have a reference point to line up the flat bit that gets rotated. I was somewhat apprehensive myself, but thought I'd give it a go. I am fairly experienced home mechanic though. I don't remember what I used, tools wise, I just get out what seems to fit. Just take plenty of pictures before you start and as you go along, they might come in useful during the rebuild. The most tricky parts I had were, removing the plastic air tube from the bottom and getting the electrical plug off the old pump. I ended up waiting until the old pump was out and then took it off, simply by being able to turn it upside down. One big tip, try and leave the car for a couple of days before you start, as it means that there will be no pressure in the fuel line.

RossJ

Reaction score
Quick update:

Finally got around to doing the job over the weekend, it really wasn't that difficult, the majority of the time ended up being spent trying to get the electrical connector off (I always struggle with them, I hate the things). Didn't remove the battery, just a few air pipes until I could get to the HPFP, and you can part it from the engine with the connector still attached, which will allow you to rotate it and see what you are doing with the plug (I see Calibrazxr750 had the same experience!).

Only issue was that the high pressure line union is not 12mm but 14mm, so the crows foot adapter I got was useless. I estimated the torque for now (probably not recommended) and will torque it properly as soon as I get the right tool.

So far no more error lights and it seems to be running smoother overall, so was definitely a good find on ebay!

Calibrazxr750

Reaction score
I used an open end spanner to tighten the high pressure line, using the trusted SWAG method. It didn't leak so I figured it was all good. No issues since then.

burnHard

Reaction score
Thanks all, I think I'll go for a new OE Peugeot part considering it's the THP 200 and means I won't be without a car while I wait for the reconditioning. Found a 1920.RT one for £332 delivered which I'm happy with considering the lack of other problems I've had over the last 18 months of ownership! (touch wood....)

Wish me luck!
Hi Ross.I know this post is a few years old,but do you remember where you bought the pump,I've got the code up onmy THP200 and I'm geting quotes over£600

indoldn

Reaction score
Hi Ross.I know this post is a few years old,but do you remember where you bought the pump,I've got the code up onmy THP200 and I'm geting quotes over£600
Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you can get new genuine one at the £350 now. For THP200 you are now looking just over £500 from places like Neo Brothers. Another option is to get your refurbished for around £180. I had mine done by Mike on eBay. A lo of members have used him. | eBay