What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Refurbished high level brake light

John5247

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know if this post will be allowed. If there is a forum rule about selling stuff I apologise.

So I bought a used high level brake light off ebay for 60 quids - half the LEDs were dead. It is ultrasound welded plastic so I cut it open with a Dremel diamond disc then replaced all the dead LEDs and some flickery ones as well. Resealed with red silicone sealant, I then swapped it for the half lit unit on my 2011 RCZ.

Having fixed that one, I then fixed the one I took off the car in the same way.

If the MODs allow this post then please look on ebay UK to bid on it.

I'm just trying to recover my costs and help another RCZ owner.
Your old light can go on ebay for the next guy...

ps - I've been in electronics for 50 years. The LEDs are all soldered on properly.
The red sealant is not visible at all when the unit is on the car

side note - The LEDs in these lamps are thrashed within an inch of their lives to
get the brightness. People who sit on the brakes at the traffic lights instead of using the handbrake mean these little chips are getting very hot indeed. Worse on a hot sunny day. That is why they die. It is a miracle they last for ten years, but it is awful that Peugeot seals them so they have to be scrapped. £180 for a new one is a bit outrageous.
The same unit for a 308 is about £40.

Many thanks for reading - if the mods allow it!
Johnny

PS: I beat seven bells out of this circuit board before I glued it back together.
P_20210801_194905.jpgP_20210801_195012.jpg Found a cardboard box for it and ONE LED FLASHED!!
I can't make it flash again. I'm not taking it apart again. The rubbery silicone will be much
harder to get into than the hard plastic weld.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve no problem with your post not all owners want to shell out £180 + for a new unit.