What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Reconditioned High Pressure Fuel Pump

thornebt

Reaction score
This is a cheaper alternative to taking your RCZ to Peugeot for a new HPFP. I bought a 'remanufactured' fuel pump on Ebay. It costs about £150 plus the postage to send my own pump to the chap who reconditions them (I used RM Special Delivery). It's clear from his feedback that he has done a lot of these HPFPs and all of his feedback is glowing about the service. I thought it would be a tiresome job to remove and reinstall it but it was actually quite easy. Remove the battery, two lots of plastic ducting, two fuel lines, electrical pump connector and three torx bolts.

Apparently the pumps use hydraulic oil as a 'transfer fluid' and this gradually leaks past the rubber seals as they wear. There are some photos of the pump innards on the Ebay listing and I don't think it's realistically a DIY job of just replacing the seals and hydraulic oil. I would be very interested to know though if anyone on here ever attempts it or has already done it.

It's probably not an option for everybody. Some will want a brand new Peugeot supplied pump, a one day turnaround and a warranty on the replacement. However, it is much cheaper at about £150 total cost. I think that Peugeot would have stuck that much on the bill at the very start by plugging in their diagnostic machine - they always seem to insist on doing this!

Whilst the plastic ducting is out it was also a good time to replace the oil filter as my 1.6THP is due a service. It's not accessible otherwise but at least it's a job from above rather than having to do it on your back underneath a car that is very low!

Cheers. Bruce.

thornebt

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that there is a helpful video on YouTube on how to do this job.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You’ll have to keep us informed to the longevity of the recon unit fingers crossed you’ll get some good mileages it of it.👍

thornebt

Reaction score
I'll certainly do that. My last pump was replaced by Peugeot under warranty at about 38,000 miles and approx. seven years ago. Current mileage is 81,000 - so the last pump only did about 43,000 miles but over a longish time period.

Flanners

Reaction score
Sounds like the ballpark mileage they seem to go at......appalling quality control or the unit is just not up to the job/specs for direct injection