What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rear light cluster

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their rear light cluster fail? I don’t think I’ve read it on the forum, so just thought I’d ask.

My car passed its mot on Wednesday so all must have been working then. Same day I noticed no brake light on near side. I put in a new bulb, then later my OH went out after dark & she said there was a beeping from the dash. I went out and checked the lights & there was nothing happening near side rear, except indicator still worked.

I wondered if the bulb I’d put in had affected the canbus in some way, so I took it out and tried the lights again, still no leds.

I’ve had a flick through the manual, and can’t find a fuse that only serves the near side light cluster, so haven’t had a look through the fuses, not had time anyway.

I have had a play with the connectors inside the rear wing even sprayed a bit of wd 40 round, but just can’t get anything from the near side rear light cluster, except the indicator.

Any ideas welcome :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Update.

Took my OH to work this morning, all lights working :eusa-think: :crazy:

The only thing was that the previously dodgy rear near side light cluster seemed to have the brake light on instead of the normal rear light, so I took the bulb out rotated it and replaced it so the terminals were reversed and all ok, LED’s now working, rear light working, brake light working, & the indicator was ok throughout the other issues.

I don’t know if it all came from the brake light bulb replacement or what :eusa-think: I cant see how, as everything started working again despite the bulb being in the wrong way round, and continued working when it was turned round.

The only thought I can think is that the car still has the original battery, so it’s 6 years old now, and I know they are supposed to have @ 5 years life. I also know a failing battery can throw up all kinds of strange electrical anomalies, but I haven’t noticed any problems with the battery, starts first time every time as it always has, and no other electrical problems at the moment.

Very strange :crazy:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a strange one :eusa-think: I don’t get why Peugeot didn’t go all LED on those rear lights :crazy: hope alls ok now :thumbup:

Zebedee

Reaction score
Had a similar problem. Local Peugeot garage were extremely helpful; their parts department discussed with their engineers and confirmed that there is no fuse for the rear LED red light cluster (N/S or O/S), that as they are such a low voltage, they come straight off the main ‘Body Control Module’ (BCM), definitely no fuse to find.

Knowing that it must be a problem specific to the lighting unit gave me confidence/ determination to focus on that (thank you local Peugeot!), I replaced the original blown brake light bulb and discovered the rear light LEDs (and bulb element) came back on (brake light still blown). Problem is that my replacement bulb was either defective (the bulb has two elements, one for the brakes and one for lights), or was the wrong bulb (power specification on the bulb was the same, but other very small and feint numbers turn out to be slightly different).

SOLUTION:
The simple solution was to try another replacement bulb, which immediately worked: both brake and rear light element and the rear LEDs all work again too. Solved a month of worry, googling and daytime driving only!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It does appear that the rear lights are very fussy about the bulb you replace. It’s good to know that what at first appears to be quite an expensive issue can easily and cheaply be solved by just using a different bulb.