What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ VVT Oil Soleniod 0016 code

Dedra1

Reaction score
Hi thanks for reply & info. Would have thought it was normal for there to be a slight rattle from a timing on cold start as oil needs to circulate round engine.
However I have NO history for car....I have now changed the oil/filter a 2nd time & MPG has gone up 35.9 on long motorway type trip.
As I have bought a VVT oil solenoid anyway (£32), if I can the old b****r out(!) I will change it....I will take rocker off & have a look to see if chain is slack.
Also will change top timing guide as well....but it is looking look new timing chain kit
Thanks again for help.
All the best :)

Dedra1

Reaction score
I'm no expert but if you have a rattle on start up get the timing chain replaced. Whilst doing that they will change the Tensioner and ask them to change the VVT solenoid as well. I doubt the rattle will go after changing the VVT. Dont bother trying to clean the VVT if you do get it out. The seal will be worn and the gunge is inside the unit.
A quick fix is change the Tensioner see if that improves things it could even be loose if you have oil around it.
If you try to tighten the tensioner bolt apparantly it can make things worse by damaging the washer ring. Change that first they are £30 and require a 27mm socket a half inch drive socket and brute force! You can buy a flywheel locking tool or kit to hold eveything in place before you do it. Or you can buy the cam lock kit to hold the cams in place. The locking kit is fitted on the cams after you take the rocker cover off.

Dedra1

Reaction score
Thanks for info. Update on P0016 code. I have changed oil/filter twice, & have now fully charged battery with good quality digital charger.
Scanned OBD engine management section & cleared P0016 code. Started engine & ENG MANG light stayed OFF!! Went for long drive
& its still off. Rescanned & its showing no faults!!!. If you get p0016 code then try a couple of oil/filter changes & fully recharge battery.
Its worth a try
I will keep you updated if it returns...…...….. 😀
Thanks for all your help & info...I still may need it...….
D

Dedra1

Reaction score
Update. Have not changed VVT solenoid as yet, however fully charged battery, changed oil/filter twice & cleared codes with OBD scanner.
P0016 code DISAPPEARED. Drove car for few miles & engine management light stayed off. Now 2 days later & its still off.
Your guess is a good as mine...….
Hence the reason why I have not changed VVT solenoid (yet)
Let us hope that electronic engineers who work for Bosch Delphi & Peugeot Citroen NEVER EVER BUILD a DRIVERLESS CAR
Could you imagine the carnage!!!🚗🚑🚑

boatdriver

Reaction score
Starting the engine yesterday morning, there was a slight 'Rattle' which alarmed me as I have just had the timing chain , tensioners etc replaced.I drove the car to my garage and everything was normal and no codes showing on the OBD. As a precaution, the main Diagnostic thingy was plugged in and P0016 came up. On the Peugeot service site it gave 'The variable camshaft timing (VCT) oil control valve (OCV) is stuck in the open position'. Apparently, there is a Peugeot Service Bulletin out about this valve and they modified the valve to allow more oil through the valve. The oil consumption has been fairly high over the last 500 miles or so and hopefully this new valve will reduce the consumption. The correct Total 5W-30 Ines Low saps 3 was used at the last oil/filter change.

Pedro

Reaction score
Starting the engine yesterday morning, there was a slight 'Rattle' which alarmed me as I have just had the timing chain , tensioners etc replaced.I drove the car to my garage and everything was normal and no codes showing on the OBD. As a precaution, the main Diagnostic thingy was plugged in and P0016 came up. On the Peugeot service site it gave 'The variable camshaft timing (VCT) oil control valve (OCV) is stuck in the open position'. Apparently, there is a Peugeot Service Bulletin out about this valve and they modified the valve to allow more oil through the valve. The oil consumption has been fairly high over the last 500 miles or so and hopefully this new valve will reduce the consumption. The correct Total 5W-30 Ines Low saps 3 was used at the last oil/filter change.
Ye 5.30 is a good oil spec plus its in the Handbook data! I don't go for the 0.30 it was designated for engines in somewhat extreme weather climates which we hopefully will never see in UK
The P0016 has a habit of ghosting up now & again it could possibly be the valve Knackered its a ongoing battle with the Prince engines & oil related component faults & as a rule they also consume oil usually around the 1000 klm plus for average mileage distance travelled depending on how you drive but heavier usage will occur as the demand for high power increases per klm over prolonged periods that is the way they supposed to operate efficiently apparently
As for using a lot of oil this could be pointing to inlet valve related issues (carbon build up) causing oil to bypass the seals into combustion & exhausted after firing a common generic fault in all direct injection Engines unfortunately that is why I change the oil around the 3500 4000 mark & never let it go beyond that point due to the pressure generated with these Engine which would murder any type of oil over a sustained period of time

boatdriver

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro, just taken the car for a not quite red line run down a deserted stretch of motorway (actually saw the spoiler in my rear mirror). All running well and fuel consumption appears to have improved with all the work that has been done recently.
Since I started driving, my 1st car was a MG Magnette, I've had nearly 40 different cars over the years, but this RCZ is at the top of my favorites. It has cost quite a bit getting 'Right' and worth every penny. Even my other half enjoys the car except for muttering about speed, thankfully she does not want to drive it lol

Ian J.

Reaction score
MG Magnette
Now if you're talking the 1960s version that was a very decent car, if you're talking about the latter Chinese version well...........

Pedro

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro, just taken the car for a not quite red line run down a deserted stretch of motorway (actually saw the spoiler in my rear mirror). All running well and fuel consumption appears to have improved with all the work that has been done recently.
Since I started driving, my 1st car was a MG Magnette, I've had nearly 40 different cars over the years, but this RCZ is at the top of my favorites. It has cost quite a bit getting 'Right' and worth every penny. Even my other half enjoys the car except for muttering about speed, thankfully she does not want to drive it lol
I nearly bought an MGB GT in pristine black livery it was a corker but wedding days cost money so that never happened but like you I have owned upwards of 40 odd cars some sheds to start with & then some I made better with different Engines etc I remember taking parts off cars in snow storms in scrapyards in the good old days 😅
Fast forward to the present & the beast is sitting on the drive just finished the Thermostat tank swap & after clearing a few historical codes its all seems OK
Lastly the Z is a Iconic design in the History of car making & it was well received when launched but like most marques it has generic faults but I always state if we can still get the parts the rest as they is history & my missus has a fiat that's why she prefers not to go in the Z ;)
Stay safe 👍

Ian J.

Reaction score
Just negotiating on a 1977 MGBGT with chrome bumpers and Wire wheels , weekend toy !

boatdriver

Reaction score
MG Magnette
Now if you're talking the 1960s version that was a very decent car, if you're talking about the latter Chinese version well...........
1960's version. Grey with lots of leather and wooden das etc

Dedra1

Reaction score
My P0016 code has come back & is staying on.....
Good info from boatdriver re P0016 code & VVT oil solenoid stuck.....I still have not yet changed my VVT solenoid as
the RZ is now stuck in the local garage awaiting a new stub axle....mechanic was replacing both front wheel bearings
& apparently the front left bearing was difficult to remove & broke his 10 ton press. Then the new bearing slid too
easily into axle stub....the diameter on the axle carrier had increased.....had to be scrapped
I ordered brand new stub axle from ebay…old one looks identical to Peugeot 308...for £35 delivered. Arnold Clark wanted
£391.....including bearing & VAT....ah well, the boss has too pay for upkeep of the villa in South of France.... :cool:
Any bets both stub axles are made in same Chinese factory!!!!
Only problem with the stub axle is waiting about a week for it to arrive...poor RZ is stuck on ramp in garage
I may ask garage if I can work on VVT soleniod while its there...they let me change rear ABS sensor while they were working
on the bearings...local garage is excellent & really tries to help.
Re the MG Magnette, I'm a bit to young to remember these type cars but this is a model I have looked at & I think the
design is superb
I have had a good few cars over the years, ranging from Renault 18, Lancias, Alfa Romeo 166s to Rover 200s & 25s.
I thought the Rover 200/25 was really good handling car & enjoyed driving them.
Also my 1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 very quick & comfortable...…. however just did not look quite right on the design front.
Favorite car has to be Alfa Romeo 166...I had two Sportronics with the superb Busso engines...a very fine car..
Worst car has to be my current AMG Line Mercedes C220..a big disappointment on all fronts...even the RZ with all its faults
is a better car with character & good build quality (all things considered!)
Lots of other cars over the years.....now if I had saved all the money I had spent on them I may have been able to get a
villa in the South of France next to Arnold!!!! 🤓