What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ v VW Scirocco

A

Anonymous

Some of the car experts writing online or in the press prefer the VW over the RCZ and I wouldn't presume to argue with their expertise but having just laid eyes on my first VW today the RCZ wins my vote every time. :clap: :thumbup:

FGRob

Reaction score
BangorRCZ said:
Some of the car experts writing online or in the press prefer the VW over the RCZ and I wouldn't presume to argue with their expertise but having just laid eyes on my first VW today the RCZ wins my vote every time. :clap: :thumbup:
There's a report which was done of 5th Gear by Tiff Noodles, based on a run around Anglesey circuit, both cars went around in the same time but he prefered the handling of the VW, but then again who's going to drive like that on a normal road :roll: :roll:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

the scirocco was my 2nd choice had lots offered to me was really unsure right up till wednesday when i got my rcz its just so different every body looks at it after owing 2 new peugeot before and not being impressed this is just fantastic i know i made the right choice such a step up than before

RCZ1

Reaction score
I'm not just saying this because I have a RCZ on order but the Scirocco just looks like any ordinary hatchback on the road. It doesn't stand out like a RCZ.

That's just my humble opinion and I guess we are all entitled to our opinions - its what makes the world go round :!:

A

Anonymous

I couldn't agree more RCZ1 - IMHO the Scirocco just does not have the looks of the RCZ. As performance is almost identical it was a no brainer for me.

Having said that, I had a similar conversation with a few people at work....and some of those preferred the Scirroco. Ah well, each to their own.

A

Anonymous

Took the Scirocco (2.0 TDI CR 140 bhp) out for a test drive before the RCZ and loved it - you can switch suspention levels which works well. The cab felt a little claustrophobic but solid. It was quick off the mark but failed to impress once in third gear. Rear seats can be used too!

The RCZ (2.0 HDi FAP) although slighly slower off the mark soon came alive. You need to be very small to use the rear seats, cornering was great and it looks good so I bought one!

To be fair the Scirocco engine was less powerful but C'est la vie (as they say in France)

Not the best review in the world, but I hope it helps. Best thing to do is test drive them both (same day if possible)

A

Anonymous

I've p/ex'd a Scirocco for the RCZ, the Scirocco was a nice car, not as sensational looking as the RCZ, and I think the build quality was good, but not as good as some recent VW's possibly VW are economising to increase profits, or maybe because the Scirrocco is made in Portugal!! from my test drives and crawling all over the RCZ in the dealers I would say the RCZ build quality is as good as the VW if not slightly better. Also the RCZ is much rarer, I popped into Sainsburys at 7.00 this morning, so not many cars in the car park but there were 2 Scirocco's and 5 minutes later driving away saw another one.

Just have to put up with the waiting now. :evil: :evil:

A

Anonymous

Which Scirocco against which RCZ? Model for model the VW is pricier and I would imagine the build quality of any VW is better than any Peugeot - at least as far as less flexibility and handling round a track matters; less noticable in a traffic jam on the north circular.

And for style, difference; I'd prefer to be in the north circular traffic jam in the RCZ.

A

Anonymous

i dont think this is a relevant arguement you either like one or the other the VW argueably has has a better drive but the way i look at it is buy what u like

A

Anonymous

why people would think the build quality of a vw made in Portugal would be better than the rcz made i austria i do not know ie this factory also makes the new Aston martin rapide and new mercedes sls if you are in the market for a two door coup in my eyes for the money the rcz every time

A

Anonymous

these are 2 cars that can not be compared on the same basis... scirocco is a regular hatcback coupe that has a golf-look... the same face and look can be seen on multiple vw line cars, even the new transporter and caravelle has the same style look... i find this boring... with regards to the quality and german technical r&d knowledge, i can say that i find vw group very successful... if you are a buyer who makes final purchase decision with your mind then rcz will not be a prefect choice... i guess rcz owners give much more importance to what their heart says... besides rcz is the first super-sports look car that i have seen in this price range... it is also good to know rcz is wider than a 911 and a cayman ? a very surprising data...

A

Anonymous

GEEGEE123 said:
i dont think this is a relevant arguement you either like one or the other the VW argueably has has a better drive but the way i look at it is buy what u like
I think you're a bit of an arsonist...you like lighting flames and watching the resulting conflagration. :twisted: I didn't post this topic to cause an argument to start. A lot of so-called experts rave about the Scirocco and I was merely putting my tuppence worth forward that it just looked like any other hot hatch out there and nothing startling new. I've had a few hatches in the past so I've nothing against them if that's what rocks your boat. As for the RCZ, it's so refreshing it's going to rock my boat for the forseeable future. :thumbup: :dance:

A

Anonymous

BangorRCZ said:
GEEGEE123 said:
I think you're a bit of an arsonist...you like lighting flames and watching the resulting conflagration. :twisted: I didn't post this topic to cause an argument to start. A lot of so-called experts rave about the Scirocco and I was merely putting my tuppence worth forward that it just looked like any other hot hatch out there and nothing startling new. I've had a few hatches in the past so I've nothing against them if that's what rocks your boat. As for the RCZ, it's so refreshing it's going to rock my boat for the forseeable future. :thumbup: :dance:

Im a bit of an arsonist for saying you buy what you like theres no point in dicussing which is better, wow people on this forum really are way too sensitive I'v used many car forums over the years and trust me that is such a very mild comment, the Idea of a forum is to dicuss things seems like people on here are not interested in anything which is not of their views

For example I said I didnt like bradders DRLs and I was shot down in flames, whats wrong with me saying I dont like something when I dont. What a boring forum it would be if everyone liked the same things we could all just tell people how great we all are.

As for me saying the VW argueably has a better drive, well every review I'v read says its slightly sharper than the RCZ although I wouldnt buy a VW because I dont like Its looks, no car is perfect every car has faults and some people wont like the RCZ.

A

Anonymous

GeeGee, I couldn't agree more that you are as entitled to your opinion as the next man/woman but sometimes I think you just like to poke a stick at the snake to get a response :crazy: :!: We all have our own opinions and mine was simply that I didn't care what the pundits getting paid to express their 'professional' opinions said, my choice was and is the RCZ. :dance: Whether it's inferior or superior in drive/accessible back seats/looks etc is up to every person dolling out the pounds to decide. :eusa-think: As it's a French car we've both chosen I'll simply say: chacun á son góut. :eusa-shhh:

A

Anonymous

markkaren said:
why people would think the build quality of a vw made in Portugal would be better than the rcz made i austria i do not know ie this factory also makes the new Aston martin rapide and new mercedes sls if you are in the market for a two door coup in my eyes for the money the rcz every time

X2 :clap:

A

Anonymous

markkaren said:

I get your point, but Peugeot has a reputation for compromising on build quality to make the cars cheaper that VW doesn't. Of course this one could (hopefully will) be different. In the past Peugeot have also had a habit of using plastic mouldings at brace points rather than aluminium ones. Pros are they're cheaper to make (and replace after an accident); cons they're not as rigid so the cars flex more in corners. They don't make a difference for 95% of normal driving but at the edges you'd notice. So if the RCZ follows this type of cost-cutting approach (which isn't unfeasble given the amount they've put in at the price it is) then it will lose performance to the VW.

But my problem with the Scirocco is that if you just want a better performance car why not get a Golf GTI or Leon Cupra. For me the RCZ's only real rival is the TT - paying half as much again for a car that loads of other people have and makes everyone else think you're a tit when they see you in the fast lane.

A

Anonymous

Had to take a trip round the dealers again at the weekend as I had to consider whether I'd get a refund on my GT HDI (see http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/more-clutch-problems-t384.html).

Didn't look at the Scirocco but did look at:

1. Audi TT
Quite liked it, but more of them about than the RCZ, plus I'd need to get a used one (or find another few £k)

2. Honda CR-Z
Nice to look at in the metal, and interior was quite funky, but found it cramped in the front (I'm six feet) and not as much room in the +2 as in the RCZ. Also, the leather trim didn't extend to the rear seats (so you have grey leather front seats and door trims, with black fabric rear seats ???!!!)

3. Renault Megane coupe
Didn't like this at all - the interior felt cheap and plasticky (I know some of the RCZ plastics are clearly made to a budget, but at least Peugeot made an effort with the interior). It's also a bit like the Scirocco (IMO) in the sense that it just feels a bit like a 3 door version of the equivalent hatchback

Anyway, that's my two-penneth, and as others have said on this thread, people have to make up their own minds ('coz they're all a fair wedge of cash)

A

Anonymous

I would suggest to wait for Evo test. After all Peugeots of past(untill 106 and 306) were known for invloving and adjustable handling, plus excellent ride. If RCZ 200 inherited some of it Scirocco should not be able to oppose.