What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rcz timing chain

Vally

Reaction score
I have a 7 year old RCZ I was driving last week and my car made a thudding sound and cut out.Turns out my Timing chain had broken.I had no warning no noise coming from the engine no warning light.My car was towed to the garage .The car is 7 years old but has only done 25.600 miles It is only used 8 months of the year as I go abroad.The garage is replacing the timing chain but they are still not sure if more damage has been done to the engine.It is going to cost between 1500 to 2000 pounds .Has anyone else had a problem with the RCZ ?

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the chain and gubbins is a weak point on the Prince.

I'd well imagine if it has snapped it will have caused internal damage.

You may get a chunky bill.

Flanners

Reaction score
Not sure if damage has been done? It's a good bet given it's an interference engine if the cam chain has snapped there will be damage....usually starting with bent valves. If they are just slapping a new chain kit on without lifting the Head first given what you describe it doesn't make sense. Given the costs you quote it would suggest more than fitting a new chain........im thinking you need to find out what damage has been caused and what they are doing to fix it...with how much it's going to cost.

Pedro

Reaction score
Your timing chain tensioner has possibly seized thus the chain will run slack & will more than likely destroy the upper guide rail in the cylinder head my tensioner was well on it way to killing the chain off but I suspected it was playing up when the rattle extended past the Cold start up so I immediately replaced it & saved myself a lot of money in the process its also apparently attributed to poor oil viscosity aka oil services being overdue

Pedro

Reaction score
You will find me on here if needed mate as I couldn't possibly charge you £100 an hour for labour! o_O😂👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 7 year old RCZ I was driving last week and my car made a thudding sound and cut out.Turns out my Timing chain had broken.I had no warning no noise coming from the engine no warning light.My car was towed to the garage .The car is 7 years old but has only done 25.600 miles It is only used 8 months of the year as I go abroad.The garage is replacing the timing chain but they are still not sure if more damage has been done to the engine.It is going to cost between 1500 to 2000 pounds .Has anyone else had a problem with the RCZ ?
How can they quote you between £1500 and £2000 if they don’t know what damage has been caused? Sounds fishy to me be very wary of garages that throw figures like that about before actually doing anything 🤷‍♂️