What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R Brakes

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Having owned my R for 6months or so now i am just trying to research into future costs for replacing a few parts. Can anyone advise where to look and costs for the following:

Front Brake Discs 380mm (Are 308GTi discs what we would now use?)
Front Brake Calipers (Other options?)
Front Pads

I can find all parts for rear brakes parts but not the front.

Thanks All :)

jr4070

Reaction score
Ebay item 322581063565 will give you the right pads.. £179. A set.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
You could try the 308 discs on your R but I don't know if anyone tried it before. Alcon still manufactures the original discs for the R. They look a bit different to those on the 308.

Pads, well you got the ebay item here. Much cheaper it won't get.

Calipers? What are your plans? To strip those and replace with others? Costs, costs, costs...

renegade79

Reaction score
what is the difference between the discs on the R and the GTi? there is a slight cut on the discs on the R that appears on some GTi's but not all GTi's. is that what you mean?

renegade79

Reaction score
Good point but he does refer to having his R for 6 months and he is bang on about the Alcon discs being 380mm so I’m presuming he’s moved on from the HDi to an R.... :eusa-whistle:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I just had my front discs replaced under warranty but I paid for the pads.
The alcon discs are £500 each cost so £1000 then fitting was free because of warranty work, but the pads were £385 the pair inc vat. If I had to pay for fitting it would have been almost £1800 for original parts....

though I have not found discs, I have found these pads by Ferodo ; check them out...

http://www.jdl-brakes.com/peugeot/peuge ... -pads.html

Hope that helps... :beer:

RCZ1

Reaction score
The only discs available for the R are the Alcon discs and only available via Peugeot. You can’t buy them direct from Alcon.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
what is the difference between the discs on the R and the GTi? there is a slight cut on the discs on the R that appears on some GTi's but not all GTi's. is that what you mean?

As you mentioned, the discs on the R are slotted compared to 308's and the construction of the hat or bell, the piece connecting the disc to the wheel hub, is a different one.
I assume they changed the design due to the occasional squealing when breaking on those R discs. Where this issue was kind of manageable with the R owners (low numbers), they had to "do something" about the higher numbers of GTis sold. Price-wise there are hardly any differences.

jr4070

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
renegade79 said:

As you mentioned, the discs on the R are slotted compared to 308's and the construction of the hat or bell, the piece connecting the disc to the wheel hub, is a different one.
I assume they changed the design due to the occasional squealing when breaking on those R discs. Where this issue was kind of manageable with the R owners (low numbers), they had to "do something" about the higher numbers of GTis sold. Price-wise there are hardly any differences.
From an RCZ r forum...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score
this is how they look like

Attachments

• IMG_20141115_160430.jpg
    IMG_20141115_160430.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 17,345
A

Anonymous

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

I did have a HDi back in 2013 for couple of years before I went to a Golf R. The time came around where I made the mistake of taking a RCZ R for a test drive. Ended up driving it home that same weekend. Whoops.

The reason I ask is I have a feeling if I took it in to Peugeot to be done when the time comes the discs need replacing I will get stung. Having a few contacts in the trade that could do the work I’m looking at where I can actually get the parts. I’m very suprised if it’s not possible esspecially with the Gti seeming to have a similar part which I thought has been used on some R’s. Maybe mistaken.

The sign of the discs needing replacing would be identifiable from the markings is this correct?

Cheers. Joe

renegade79

Reaction score
Interesting reply @RCZR. we learn something new every day.

Joe if you do source discs elsewhere let us know, please.

jr4070

Reaction score
I have seen Alcon 380mm rotors without the bells. The R brake does not appear to be able to be seperated as alot of the other Alcon fitments do. It will be interesting to see if a seperate bell and rotor combo becomes available as the cars get older.. We could all petition Alcon to make that a possibility.. lol. I reckon that Peugeout have done this deliberatly to keep us coming back to the main dealers...

RCZ-R

Reaction score
The discs cannot be separated from the bell. It is an one-piece part.

@Docksey007
You can try the 308 discs on your R. Before that I'd check the wheel hub (is it exactly the same as on the R?), the PCD/hole and then order them.

When it comes to wear-off indicator for those original R discs, there is a minimum thickness in mm printed on the disc. When you take off one of the front wheels you will see it. It is pretty in the middle of the disc, hidden by the rim. If I recall correctly it is 30mm

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Have a chat to you local motorsport shop and see about them building some custom bells that will fit a off the shelf rotor?

jr4070

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
The discs cannot be separated from the bell. It is an one-piece part.

@Docksey007
You can try the 308 discs on your R. Before that I'd check the wheel hub (is it exactly the same as on the R?), the PCD/hole and then order them.

When it comes to wear-off indicator for those original R discs, there is a minimum thickness in mm printed on the disc. When you take off one of the front wheels you will see it. It is pretty in the middle of the disc, hidden by the rim. If I recall correctly it is 30mm
Check the fade on my caliper.. I noticed it when I bought it.. It has got slightly worse, I never use anything acid based either..You can see the thk 30 printed on the bell just under the caliper....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score
@jr4070

The discs on your car look like new. Hardly used.

jr4070

Reaction score
These, I belive are the originals. I have no record of the previous owner changing them, As you knw they are are race spec brake, they are nails, designed to withstand hard use, I find it really difficult to put them anywhere near their design limits, it is this I believe that enables them to wear very well. People have a fear about the cost of them, If they are not lucky enough to be able to hammer them by hauling the car to a stop after a 120 mile an hour burst on an autobahn they will last a fair few years.. My daily commute is 60 miles, I have one very short motorway burst and the rest is traffic injested A and B roads, this gives me an average speed of....32Mph. Brakes are used very infrequently due to the input speeds that the R can achieve on A lot of bends... It impresses me no end..

mitec

Reaction score
Hi,just purchased 380mm Alcon rotors DIV2202B724536 L / R but to enable me to get custom bells made I need the RCZ R techical data eg
  • Bell to hub diameter
  • Bell to disc diameter
  • Bell O.D
  • Total height
  • Offset
  • PCD1
  • PCD2
  • PCD hole diameter
can anyone help ?thx