What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R brake downsizing

turboguy

Reaction score
Hi Just a thought for the future if these brakes get too expensive, would downsizing to the 200 bhp brakes be a viable option?

I know larger brakes are better as I have always gone for bigger when modifying my cars. I have been through lots of different modifications over years.

Kerr

Reaction score
Accept the costs of the R.

Get the calipers rebuilt with stainless pistons and they'll be fine. Discs should last 50k if you're a normal driver and pads aren't bad. Yellowstuff are £120.

Discs are £650 at the moment from one supplier. It's not really a big cost especially if the car isn't doing big miles.

Add labour costs if you can't for them yourself.

Peugeot are £900 for discs and I'm sure around £300 for pads.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There is a reason they put the bigger brakes on the R.

Pedro

Reaction score
My 200GT is Braking on Delphi on all 4 corners & it stops like its hit a brick wall if it has to so can't see why putting the 200 size will be all that different its mainly down to power of brake force & disc cooling so yes If I was you it would one option to consider until you want to upgrade back to the original sizes

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I'm sure it is not just the discs & calipers which would had to be replaced. What about the ESP&ABS module? What about the software written to the car's ECU on ESP and ABS modulation? And the master brake cylinder? And the lines? And the brackets? And the hubs? and, and, and.

It is doable, but bears a lot of IFs in-between.

Pedro

Reaction score
You can get a kit that is fitted to the brake set up to interchange disc sizes & calipers for smaller or bigger sizes just can't think where I saw the advert

DKZ5745

Reaction score
They will stop you.........................................................................................................................................................eventually 😱

Flanners

Reaction score
Hi Just a thought for the future if these brakes get too expensive, would downsizing to the 200 bhp brakes be a viable option?

I know larger brakes are better as I have always gone for bigger when modifying my cars. I have been through lots of different modifications over years.
Jeez, are you sure you want an R?

By the time you have pissed about doing all that you could have a nice new set of discs and pads. The pistons on my R are not corroded, the car is not used in Winter which helps and Peugeot provided new discs, pads and calipers prior to my ownership.

There are options for 3rd party calipers around £1500-2000 with discs and pads. Pug1Off have some options I think

The prices for the R over an RCZ and then the servicing i,e plugs etc and may appear fairly high if compared to servicing a family hatchback; but in comparison to other performance cars of the same ilk they are as cheap as chips to maintain. TVR, Porsche, Audi, Lotus.....etc.

Last edited:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score

I don’t think your insurance would take kindly to the alterations especially if you were in an accident 🤔

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve recently come across these advertised on fb could be an option no price though52260DCD-3355-48D5-9182-C8D7ED24BF18.png

turboguy

Reaction score
The discs look weird , never seen a design like that before.
Just wondering whos upgraded their calipers with the godspeed stainless steel piston? Are they good?

Marmite

Reaction score
Audi has a waveform on its RS discs now so nothing new there , I would like to know the price of these per disc .... got to be worth looking into

turboguy

Reaction score
I don’t think your insurance would take kindly to the alterations especially if you were in an accident 🤔
🤣 I know exactly what you mean,. Had another car that was modified to almost 300bhp but didnt do the brakes which wasnt clever, especially when travelling at speed towards a sharp turn. Good job the car handles ;). On the plus side is that I always declare the modifications to my cars :p