What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ Engine Troubleshooting

Andrew

Reaction score
I own a 6 speed manual petrol RCZ Sport THP 156 coupe (2013). I have always serviced it and a few months ago replaced the lambda sensors following a fault indication. I then had to change the coils and spark plugs following a different fault indication. Recently I got an altogether different fault indication. This time it is a fuel pressure sensor problem and a fuel pump problem (pics attached). On starting the engine the car rattles but after driving a short distance the car seems to choke, the rpm struggles and the turbo does not kick in... there is no acceleration and it feels sluggish and I have to stop. Strangely enough when the problems are erased from the ecu the car starts again and runs smoothly for a short distance (say five minutes) as if there is no problem whatsoever. I am quite perplexed. Anyone experienced this?

Attachments

• IMG-20200520-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20200520-WA0006.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20200520-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20200520-WA0005.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 21

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
For me it’s the HP fuel pump as that going down will throw up all other faults too.

Pedro

Reaction score
As Neil explained its " Ghosting Faults" as the ECU is adjusting the systems to try & cope with the Faulty fuel pressure to keep the Engine running you should be getting low fuel rail pressure codes to confirm its fuel related ? The Lambda sensor issue may be down to deputation faults (Engine running too rich or too weak ) hence you got fault codes from them both & could point to fuel trims being all over the place as you load the Engine for more power
When your starting off the pressure is on the low side but when you accelerate the pump gets the command for more fuel from the ECU if its fuel pressure is down then you will find you have loss of power & flat spots & a jumpy acceleration or as you said stalling best check it all to be sure
Tank low pressure pump/fuel sensor for delivery pressure & then fuel rail pressure for the HPFP
There may be one trick you could try & that is clean the Maf & Map sensors if its logging air metre issues its a long shot but these 2 do a lot of work in making the engine run properly

Andrew

Reaction score
Thanks to both for your feedback... what you both said confirms my suspicion... I will check the fuel pump... is it immersed in the fuel tank? or part of the engine? as I have been told there are different variants...

tm2204

Reaction score
Thanks to both for your feedback... what you both said confirms my suspicion... I will check the fuel pump... is it immersed in the fuel tank? or part of the engine? as I have been told there are different variants...
The high pressure fuel pump is in the engine bay, the low pressure fuel pump is in the fuel tank. There are 2 fuel pumps.

Your problem is the high pressure fuel pump which is located right side of the engine towards the bulkhead (back) 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
Low pressure suction pump is in the Tank the HPFP is bolted to the upper R/H/Side (looking from the Front) of the cylinder head parallel to the Battery which unfortunately also has to come off as you cannot remove the pump with the battery but onboard a word of advice if you are having a go yourself if the car has been powered up before you disconnect anything electrical wait at least 5 if manual or 14 if Auto minutes before battery is disconnected as the ECU is still calibrating & memorising all the data retrieved from the the Engine & Body control module systems
Good luck let us know how its progressing