What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ 200 EP6 CDTX :- VVT Solenoid

Blackcapbob

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, Thanks for your message.

The auto electrician has been back again and has been able to get the car started by bypassing the battery control module using his own power supply. Strangely this has positively effected the battery control module and now the car starts from the cars own battery. How long that is going to last is debateable, we ran out of light so he will return again to try and cause the system to fail, then we will know for certain. On inspecting the module there isnt anything obviously blown or damaged but that doesnt mean its not playing up. The last thing we want is to be stranded miles from home.

The good thing, it appears that there isn't a broken wire in the loom and that nightmare maybe averted.

I think I will be buying a replacement module just in case it happens again. The look on my wife's face when I told her that her Bat-mobile was running again was priceless................well almost.

Take care all, Cheers Bob.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, Thanks for your message.

The auto electrician has been back again and has been able to get the car started by bypassing the battery control module using his own power supply. Strangely this has positively effected the battery control module and now the car starts from the cars own battery. How long that is going to last is debateable, we ran out of light so he will return again to try and cause the system to fail, then we will know for certain. On inspecting the module there isnt anything obviously blown or damaged but that doesnt mean its not playing up. The last thing we want is to be stranded miles from home.

The good thing, it appears that there isn't a broken wire in the loom and that nightmare maybe averted.

I think I will be buying a replacement module just in case it happens again. The look on my wife's face when I told her that her Bat-mobile was running again was priceless................well almost.

Take care all, Cheers Bob.
Hi Bob good news about the car as an afterthought did the sparky by any chance check the charging voltage or the voltage in the battery with the car switched off & with the Engine running as a dodgy failing Alternator can also cause an issue with the BCM

pauld

Reaction score
Hi Pedro and Neil thanks for your posts.

I have tried your old trick Pedro and there is no bleeping when the key is in the off position having tried to start the engine and the door is opened, I have tried both keys and it is the same, I am not sure if each key has the same code or different ones.

The auto electrician has been back and he reckons that I may have broken a wire in the bundle of cables that run in the cable carrier over the top of the thermostat housing when I changed out the thermostat and that wire to the VVT Solenoid maybe the offending wire, I have stripped the car out so he can get to the wiring to run checks but he hasn't been back yet.

His thinking is that the VVT solenoid is a vital part in the start up process and maybe if it isn't receiving a signal then that is shutting down the ECU from engaging the starter. Prior to this saga the car has always started first time and without difficulty, I really don't know what to think. I like the idea of the loss of key code due to the battery being on and off like a yoyo. That would certainly stop the starter from engaging.

Maybe I just don't want to think of a broken wire in the wiring loom and my inability to find it. I suspect it will be a needle in a haystack looking at the number of wires in the loom at that point.

Would the VVT Solenoid be so vital to the starting process, I'm maybe very wrong here but it seems strange that the VVT Solenoid would be so influential preventing the starter from engaging. I understand that it would run rough but would it stop the car from even attempting to start.

Any advice as always will be gratefully received. Cheers a very frustrated Bob.
Hi Bob, as my lovely RCZ is currently not starting , similar to yours, I wondered if you had any success with finding out what has been the cause of your problem. By the way, another forum member said that , if yoiu roll the car in gear, it will trigger the BSI to release economy Mode and this actually worked for me (so I could get the driver's window down to do the BSI reset) but it still won't start !!! Over to you. regards Paul