What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rattling noise when cold started

Pugatti

Reaction score
Mine is the same on cold start , very noisy, going to change the tensioner.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Pugatti said:

Hi and welcome to the forum, how old is your car? And have you any history of the timing chain, tensioner and guides having been changed? Personally I would have the whole kit replaced as new revised parts are now available. The tensioner was a week spot but also the guides have a tendency to break and the chain is prone to stretching and can cause major damage.

Let us know how you get on. :beer:

LeeS69

Reaction score
Pugatti said:

Hi, how did you get on with this? I'm in the same boat, mate who has the local garage suggests we try the tensioner first, and if that doesn't work then we'll have to do the full kit.

Did you do the tensioner only and did it work out?

Lee

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Lee, it’s just false economy to just change the tensioner if your car has the death rattle then it’s wise to replace the whole timing kit and your safe in the knowledge your not going to wreck your motor. :thumbup:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
From what I’ve read, when the tensioner has started to fail, the chain itself stretches slightly, which can cause problems in itself, so I agree that it’s not a good idea to start changing one part or another, go for the full kit. The parts are not the expensive bit anyway, it’s the labour costs, which wouldn’t be that much more to do the whole thing.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I use the Peugeot warranty - you can buy it online from Peugeot and includes breakdown cover and EU too.
Good for cars upto 10 years old or 100,000 smiles. Well worth the £300 odd quid when you consider HPFP etc

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
I use the Peugeot warranty - you can buy it online from Peugeot and includes breakdown cover and EU too.
Good for cars upto 10 years old or 100,000 smiles. Well worth the £300 odd quid when you consider HPFP etc

I have had a quick look at warranties but was put off by Peugeot as it seems to read on their website that you can only extend the warranty if it is still within it's Peugeot warranty, or less than 3 years old.
Did you extend the warranty from new Plec, or was your car 2nd hand?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I thought there was something like that but not 100% sure.
Yes when I bought my car it was only 18 months old so still in the original warranty, then I just renewed ever since. You can do that upto ten years old or the 100,000 miles. Didn't know what it would do if you tried the pug warranty with your reg. I'm guessing it won't let you then?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think I remember that’s what it said when I first took out mine, if you let the warranty lapse, you couldn’t take out a further extended warranty, so if it’s out of manufacturer’s warranty, I don’t think they’ll let you take it out.

Likewise, if you let the extended warranty lapse, you can’t re-take it out later, it has to be continuous up to the 10 year limit.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I think I remember that’s what it said when I first took out mine, if you let the warranty lapse, you couldn’t take out a further extended warranty, so if it’s out of manufacturer’s warranty, I don’t think they’ll let you take it out.

Likewise, if you let the extended warranty lapse, you can’t re-take it out later, it has to be continuous up to the 10 year limit.

Well as said above - i will be renewing each and every year I have it upto the ten years,
for if all I have to pay is the 3k ish in premiums I am sure with how things cost on the RCZ's that I am likely to get this back and more.