What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

R has EML, juddering, misfire and fans

Flanners

Reaction score
Well 3 months into ownership with the R when accelerating onto main road from the slip and the car judders, loss of power and the EML comes on, now on main road so took next turning off after half a mile. Car feels like it is misfiring, fans are on super loud and fast. Stop car, fans continue, thinking coil pack or ignition fault. Limp it home a couple of miles and as I turn into my road, repair needed comes up on the dash. Get it in the garage fans on constantly, engine juddering/lumpy and almost spluttering. Oil good, temp good etc, had checked previously too. EML won't reset and fans stay on full blast for 10 mins if started and when stopped.

Look on here and first post I find fits exactly what I have experienced:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12297

There seems to be a fair few posts of this issue! So I guess it is the hp fuel pump that is fubarred then, as it seems they are made of cheese and not up to the job.

Thankfully I have 14 months Peugeot Extended Warranty and so I guess I will be phoning the local Stealer to arrange a repair under the Warranty, also have Peugeot Assistance, I don't want to drive it as it is almost undriveable and will need to be recovered to them?

Thanks to the Forum I am armed with the info to hopefully prevent a delay in getting the issues fixed properly, I guess it hinges on what codes are read intially, I videoed the car misfiring juddering etc to show them as well.
French cars eh :cry:

Just read the codes P1336 and P1337....coil packs?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Eyup
What a coincidence!
Last Thursday my R did exactly the same.
EML light on, engine juddering, ok if drive careful.
Guess what limped to my fave pug garage, onto diagnostic machine and coil pack 2, which I thought was hp fuel pump but that's coil pack 4.
My cars on pug warranty so they said they would fix it under cover.. but I decided to pay the extra and have all done since they are all the same age and I don't want to be stuck up the Alps next month. Money well spent considering what it would have cost me etc in Austria.
Went on Thursday all fixed by 10am Friday and only charged me 15 quid to fit.
Rocking on all four cylinders now .
Good luck and post your experience.
Cheers M [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Flanners

Reaction score
Thanks for replying :beer:

Fingers crossed it's the coil pack, had a Clio moon's ago which used to eat coil packs! Can I ask how much they charged you for the other 3 coil packs as I agree with you replacing just one is prone to a repeat issue in the near future?

Flanners

Reaction score
Waiting for a full lift and it is then off to the Dealership. Local dealer had no slots for 2 weeks, one in Maidstone able to have a look tomorrow. RAC reckon the fuel pump is the culprit from the codes read and the symptoms.

Flanners

Reaction score
Just had dealership on the blower and they said High Pressure Fuel Pump needs replacing and 'pipe' under extended warranty policy; got a Health Check sent through via text to website with video of my car, tyres, pads, discs.....all green; was thinking the car has only done 2K miles since supplied used by main dealer so if there had been any reds would have been miffed. Health check states to supply and fit HPFP £1046...sheesh!

Plecodoras

Reaction score
With my Peugeot warranty been about £300 a year including European breakdown, you only need something like this to happen in three years and you've got your money's worth, so to speak.
Glad your getting it sorted. Good ol'warranty lol.
Cheers M.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Flanners

Reaction score
Yes indeed, I shall be renewing my Warranty in 2020 and every year up to the 10 year cut-off for sure!

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I’m with the other guys. The platinum warranty is money well spent and I reckon I’ve already had my 10 years worth out of it!

Flanners

Reaction score
They have had it since Monday, but it was booked in for Tuesday. They called and said they had the pump but not a replacement pipe so today all fitted, they then undertook a road test and the EML has come back on so now looking at trying to sort it tomorrow morning......I am thinking perhaps the coil pack/s have gone as well?! Not good.

RCZ1

Reaction score
The coil packs should be replaced too as the symptoms you describe sound like those are the culprit for the misfiring / juddering.

Flanners

Reaction score
Yes I asked them to consider it on the phone, they made no comment. I am not used to dealing with Main Dealer Service Dept's as the last car I bought with any Dealer involvement was in 2004, my VX (of which I have had no issues whatsover. I also believe that because it is a warranty job that is has been put on the back burner given the car was first examined last Tuesday and the pump etc was not fitted until yesterday. Been looking on the internet and scaring myself silly with the all the horror stories regarding the Prince engine and it's long list of issues.

Flanners

Reaction score
Pump and Coil pack 3 replaced and all is good again. They have identified that the aux belt idler/tensioner (not sure which/or if combined) is making a noise (I thought it was the clutch) so have apparently ordered a new one to be fitted.