What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Quad exhaust problems.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys.

I got my RCZ 1.6 at the end of January, and I do absolutely love it. However since I got it the exhaust has been a bit rattly. I believe it's the Zunsport feline quad exhaust kit, it was already installed when I bought it from the garage. At first I only noticed it when I went over speed bumps or rough road, so figured it was just one of those things. However it's got much worse now, to the point I hear the rattling all the time when it's idling or at low revs and it sounds terrible. Also there's a sort of whine when I hit motorway speeds.

I have of course had a look under it numerous times, from what I can tell the heat cloth stuff that's wedged between the stock muffler and the quad exhaust kit has deteriorated/fraying and is coming away on one pipe, and if I bang or gently kick the dual exhaust on the passenger side it makes the exact rattling noise that I notice while driving it. So I assumed perhaps it was a bit of a loose bracket or it needed repacking with some new heat cloth. Nothing is swaying about or appears loose other than the connection between the muffler and the quad system where the cloth is.

I took it to my local garage to have a look as unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough in motors to have done anything myself, and guessed they'd just tighten up whatever was loose for me, only to be told apparently the bracket is broken, the cloth needs replacing, and the entire exhaust system along with the quad tips will need replacing... :?

The garage I bought the car from is very reputable and they carried out a full service and MOT just before I purchased the car from them and nothing came up, and I do believe they wouldn't have lied if there was an issue. I for one haven;t been mistreating the car. As for most of you, it's been my pride and joy since I've had it and I've taken great care of it, and I'm gutted this sort of issue has come up so soon after getting it. I do think the garage I took it to to get it checked is trying to fleece me over a bit, I'm sure the entire system wouldnt need replacing, and a new bracket simply needs to be put on and the cloth wadding replaced.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues with the Zunsport quad tips, or whether they'd have any advice for me/if there's anything I can do to try and fix it ? As I said before the exhaust system isn't exactly hanging off or swaying about like it's gonna fall off, it's just a very noisy rattle and the end part seems to be loose.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Any good exhaust fitting bay should be able to weld up your broken bracket and re wrap with heat tape. I don’t believe you need the full system changing.

I’ve got my Z booked in for a full custom cat back quad system so all welded up no bracketed joints. :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
This is the Zunsport quad exhaust.

The buffer between this and the tail pipes from the back box are just a wire wool sock.

When I made mine the wire wool sock were spot welded to the original tail pipe which had to be shortened. I cut off the spot welds and re - used the socks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I don't think so either. :brickwall: And yep that Zunsport exhaust is definitely the one my car's fitted with.

I've been under the car again tonight having a look and everything looks perfectly fine aside from the fact the heat cloth packed between the end of the stock muffler and the quad system has come away/loosened, and as such the metal clangs together when the car moves and noise escapes at high speeds. I'm pretty sure if more was put on and it was replace that the issue would be resolved. I'll definitely get a second opinion and try doing that before even thinking about replacing the entire system. Reading up on the forum I do see that the quad exhaust if poorly fitted can cause a lot of issues with rattling and noise, glad it's not just me ! I just hope it doesn't cause too much damage in the meantime before it's sorted :crazy:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I had quads on my gt200 and the heat shield in the middle of the exhaust pipe came lose and ended up sitting on top of the exhaust, thus it rattled and clanged all the time. i got underneath and tie wrapped it up... never did it again.

Just a thought and worth checking as it does make a right vibrating noise and easily heard in the car.

:beer:

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the delayed reply. I got it checked again at a garage I trust back home before I moved, to have it confirmed that indeed the exhaust system as a whole is fine, and it really is just where the heat padding has come loose at the joint and is causing a god awful rattle, no damage will come of it other than the noise. So I've now got hold of the dealer I bought it from and waiting to hear back from them as they said they would pay for it to be fixed at a garage of their choosing or pay me for the heat wrap to fix it myself which I'll probably do. Hopefully once that's done it'll be problem free ! Touch wood anyway.

I think the garage I first went to must have assumed me ignorant as I'm a girl and tried to fob me off for a while new system *facepalm* They forget not all of us are clueless and know nothing about cars !

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
The rear comes off literally in 30 seconds. Mine had it on until I changed it.
Wrap some heat wrap around the outlets on the back box.

n.alex46

Reaction score
Hi have a look on www.zunsport.com/ website. Put rcz in search scroll down to exhaust for 200 bhp model and fitting instructions are there (Same for 156bhp model) not too hard to replace heat wrap. If not you can show garage what need doing may help.. Oh and cheers RCZIain quads look great on mine thanks

A

Anonymous

I saw that on the Zunsport website when I had a gander, will definitely get some wrap and do it myself when I get paid, thanks :thumbup: Doesn't look any more difficult than it was to get the front bumper off the other day and rewire the parking sensors !