What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Potential issues - New RCZ

Elspur87

Reaction score
Hi All

posting again as everyone was so helpful first time around after posting about the issues I was having with the car and dealership with who it was purchased from.
Brief update is that the car has been running fine, recently did a 250 mile trip, shortly after which had the engine light come on and car went into limp mode.
Took it to a garage and it was found to be an issue with spark plugs and coil pack after doing a diagnostic.
These were replaced although the next day the engine light came on again with a different fault code (P0087) which I was told is a fuel pressure issue. The code was reset and I was asked to monitor, have not had any further issues or faults and car has felt fine (this was about a week and 300 miles ago now)

up until today. I turned the car on to drive home from work and noticed it juddered briefly (about 5 seconds) which Stopped shortly after and had no issues driving. Got home and then drove to the shops for about 10 mins and noticed the engine was very hot and could smell the heat coming off it considering the length of trip. Addition there seems to be a noise coming from something after the engine is turned off. I don’t think I can attach a video but it sounds like a pump or something whirring/clicking after the car is stopped.
I’m sure none of the above is normal so wondered if anyone had any ideas what this could be? There’s no engine fault light or indicators of an issue but I’m slightly suspicious that could well be on the way. I have recently bought an OBD2 reader based off suggestions on here so if the light does come I can check the fault code then but ideally want to avoid it getting to that stage

Thanks so much

Flanners

Reaction score
Symptoms suggest high pressure fuel pump, you say Dealership is that a Peugeot Dealership?

Elspur87

Reaction score
No, was a dealership about an hour away from me. They’re no longer answering any calls/emails and I have ultimately given up with them. If a high pressure fuel pump, is this something straightforward?

Pedro

Reaction score
Code P0087= fuel rail/system pressure too low primarily can point to failing HPF pump under load usual symptoms may include judder on acceleration over fueling timing issues plus cooling fan triggered & multiple misfires with numerous engine codes also the classic "Stop Warning" which equates to the meaning the car is about to stall due fuel delivery starvation
Changing the pump is relatively a Bolt off bolt on job the fuel pressure will drop once the car is left to stand for maybe 1-2hrs to allow pressure drop in the system its recommended to never attempt to undo the pump below the time limit & always make sure the engine is cold

Kerr

Reaction score
I've recently replaced my HPFP after getting engine management lights and P0087 fault codes. The car is now fine.

The car was hesitating under acceleration at times. It also wasn't starting well. Sometimes it was a longer crank, sometimes it started too quickly. Occasionally a misfire on start and a bit jerky for the first few hundred yards.

Changed the HPFP and the car is fine.

There's a guy on eBay who is refurbishing them. That's who did mine.

Elspur87

Reaction score
All the signs and issues I’ve had sound exactly like that is the issue! I’m not particularly knowledgeable with this sort of thing so any pointers to what the best next steps are would be hugely appreciated!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
All the signs and issues I’ve had sound exactly like that is the issue! I’m not particularly knowledgeable with this sort of thing so any pointers to what the best next steps are would be hugely appreciated!
You could try the guy on eBay who refurbs HPFP, they sell refurbished ones and get an independent garage to fit it. Or buy one fitted from a Peugeot dealer but your probably looking at £600