What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Poor acceleration THP200

THP200

Reaction score
First of all, hello to everyone and happy holidays. Hate this to be my first post but it's really bugging me and since the official dealer won't be opened for a week you are my only hope.
Now about the problem. Two weeks ago a bough 2010 RCZ THP200 at 102k km. Drove it for 250kms then went straight away to the dealer to do the maintenance. Since I was not sure about the drive belt condition and any hidden gremlins I really didn't push the car to high speeds and high rpm acceleration. At the dealer the drive belt was changed with the tensioners, oil and filters, coolant, new sparks and coils. Basically I told them to do full inspection and replace anything if needed, as they did.
With all thing above done, I made over 1500kms of driving for less than a week. Really love the car, the handling etc. you know why we love these cars. Anyway, I noticed that when I really push it over 3500-4000 rpm , wide open throttle, I feel like the turbo isn't really kicking in. To explain it better, the acceleration from 130 to 170 would be almost the same no matter if I do it in 4th or 6th gear.. At low rpms I really can feel the boost building, but then at the higher rpms it's like vanishing. Don't get me wrong, the car still goes fast but not as it should go, especially at higher speeds. I'll leave link below for acceleration video to check it out. No strange noises, or engine idling problems, sputter etc. nothing. No engine lamps and no codes read at the dealership. I had similar problem with my old car which turned out to be the turbo actuator (the spring had gone soft, leading to low boost pressure). Did some research here, but couldn't find anyone with the same problem ( or my research was lame) Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated.
Link for acceleration -

Ian J.

Reaction score
Seems to be revving freely , ignoring the red line on a ten year old car is brave or .............................risky

THP200

Reaction score
Well, as I said the car is still fast but the fact is I have driven other THP200 and it definitely had more gut at higher rpm. Unfortunately, this one was not for sale and the condition was not that great overall. Maybe the car had remap and the owner didn't know about that, which I highly doubt. Anyway, the fact that you guys don't see anything too different from the normal performance gives me some comfort. I will drive her to the dealer when it's open and see if they find anything. Thanks for the replies and have a great holidays. I will post an update if there is a problem after all.

Nemi

Reaction score
Seems pretty normal to me as well :rolleyes: If no problems are found, just do a remap for that extra boost. I did remap my RCZ and the difference is very noticeable 👍 Also, I wonder if your HPFP was replaced already because at those mileages HPFP becomes a problem for many RCZs.

THP200

Reaction score
Nemi, HPFP was never replaced and was one of the causes I am thinking, the other two being the turbo actuator and carbon build up. My last car had a remap and the difference was very noticeable indeed. So, a remap is something I would probably do in the future, for now I just want to make sure the car is running at its best as stock. I will take her to the dealer and bring up the HPFP discussion, if nothing is wrong then a remap will follow soon. Cheers.

Nemi

Reaction score
I have turbo and carbon build up on my to do list. Sometimes EML pops up and turbo stops working... My RCZ is at 130k km already so I guess there is a lot of carbon to clean. This will be expensive but I love my RCZ 😌

THP200

Reaction score
A little late update on the subject. I took the car to the dealer, they did recommend carbon clean which I did. Well, it definitely made a difference. The throttle response is much better and the torque seems to be up. Also, fuel consumption is down a bit, can't be sure for this since I am not easy on the pedal. Overall, I am much pleased by the results and didn't expect the procedure to have such effect since it was not walnut blasting but hydrogen clean for which I have not found convincing evidence that it cleans the intake valves. Anyway, the result is there and I believe the car is running at its optimum at the moment. Will try to make another acceleration movie and post it here when ready. Cheers guys and thanks to everyone that took part in the discussion :)

Kerr

Reaction score
The video looks around 0-100mph(160kph) in 17-18 seconds.

That's about right.