What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Peugeot RCZ: Persuade me otherwise!

Shisui2018

Reaction score
Hi All. I currently drive a worn-out old Ford Focus, but I'm considering switching to a fast coupe or roadster that is practical enough to serve as my only vehicle. I rarely transport more than one passenger, but I do require enough room for my bags. As I lack mechanical skills, dependability is crucial, or at the very least cheap repair costs. Petrol must be used, not diesel. It costs £5,000.

Dingers

Reaction score
Hi, your choice fits the bill in most respects but crucially the RCZ can have some issues.

First of all, diagnosis of faults can be tricky unless you have a good scanner for the codes. Plus a mechanic or garage who is familiar with the system used.
Secondly, repairs can be expensive depending on what's gone wrong. You could have a replacement timing chain, plus tensioner & guides. The High Pressure Fuel Pump is a known weak point & can fail anywhere between 35k & 80k mls. Refurbished pumps appear online, but don't seem to last much more than 18 months. Genuine ones are expensive. The battery also needs to be in good order, with a specific order required for start-up when you replace it (known as a BSI).
The 156 model appears to have the most recorded faults, BUT is also the most commonplace so ....
In short, if it must be a petrol model & be cheap to fix in general, I'd look at other options. The RCZ is my only car & I do commute in it, but will admit that a second cheaper car would be ideal. I had to wait nearly 3 weeks for replacement springs & was lucky my boss was understanding & helpful.
Have you considered something like an MX-5 ?

pauld

Reaction score
Hi Shisui2018 ,

I bought a 2012 RCZ second hand 4 years ago. I have done over 70,000 kms in it and I carry music gear around all the time Typically about 90 kg of speakers, amps , basses , mic etc for 15,000 kms each year to country NSW in Australia. The car has been really fantastic. Outside of regular servicing (from 60, 000kms to 130,000kms) , it has needed a new water pump and a new slave cylinder for the clutch. Otherwise, it has run like a charm ( I have a great mechanic in Sydney Austrlalia) and having a fold down back seat and a larger flat loading area than any similar car, it is a great car for carryng stuff (an MX5 will hold about one small bag, not what you requested). Just get one checked by a decent mechanic (use Google reviews to find a good one) and hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I have .

Attachments

• RCZ on day of purchase 26042018.jpg
    RCZ on day of purchase 26042018.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2