What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

peugeot rcz diesel groan at switch off

A

Anonymous

over the last week ive noticed that about 5 seconds after i turn the engine off the car lets out what can only be described as an audible groan. coupled with this last night the dpf filter clog warning came on, i dont do short trips rather 50+ miles each way to work with 30 mins of that being done at 70mph steady.
after a steady cruise back from work last night the warning has dissapered but the "groan remains"
anybody had this before ?

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Not sure if it's the same thing (especially as mine's petrol) but I do get a sort of groan sound. I've not timed it exactly but in mine it's about 30-60 seconds after turning the engine off. Sounds like something being closed/retracted but without any final 'clunk.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

RCZ1

Reaction score
Same as Steve, the car goes into some sort of shut down mode, 20-30 seconds after turning off the engine.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Same as Steve, the car goes into some sort of shut down mode, 20-30 seconds after turning off the engine.

Correct! That will most likely just be the CAN bus going to sleep and the bit of the car entering low power mode

A

Anonymous

JWT said:
RCZ1 said:

Correct! That will most likely just be the CAN bus going to sleep and the bit of the car entering low power mode
I see the logic but if it's purely electronics entering a low power state that would be silent. I wonder what it is that it's disengaging to make the noise. It must be something mechanical, maybe a pressure release from the fuel system?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

A

Anonymous

Hi, did you ever find out the problem? My car is also flashing the DPF warning on the dahs occasionally and then when turning off when the engine is up to temp it makes a loud noise from somewhere around the top of the engine. I have been unable to locate where it is coming from but it can only be described as a loud farting noise.

Thanks

Reaction score
Ren said:
Hi, did you ever find out the problem? My car is also flashing the DPF warning on the dahs occasionally and then when turning off when the engine is up to temp it makes a loud noise from somewhere around the top of the engine. I have been unable to locate where it is coming from but it can only be described as a loud farting noise.

Thanks

Hi Ren, welcome to the forum, ok I can hopefully solve this for you, it's the Air Doser Valve coupled with the solenoid which controls it, I have had the doser valve changed still had the noise & the technician who looked at it the first time said there is a secondary problem which is linked to the doser valve which is the solenoid top left at rear of engine, when you turn the engine off with the bonnet up you need to look at the large rubber hose front of engine connected to the doser valve directly top front of engine to see if this sucks in & narrows at the time of the groaning sound, this rectification out of warranty will cost between £350.00 to £400 at a dealership, if your car is still in warranty go & get it done & tell them what the problem is, if it's out of warranty call this number 0246 884000 explain the problem & this as happened to other members of the forum & they have had 60% of the bill covered by Peugeot, mine was out of warranty but it had gone in with this problem under warranty only to be told there was nothing wrong, mines going back in wed to have solenoid fitted I will up date when she comes back, I hope this has been useful info for you. Also mine is the diesel 163 so I know exactly what you meant by the groaning noise, a tip for you if you pull the pipe off from the right hand side rear of doser valve at front of engine you can stop this sound while it is happening, this pipe can be traced across the top of engine if you remove top cover by pulling it off it is black & braded with a nylon cover, it runs side by side with a similar looking pipe but you can trace it to the doser valve mine is the right hand of the two pipes on the top of engine, this pipe runs between the solenoid & the doser valve. Sorry if this sounds complicated don't want you to go through what I have had to. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Excellent, thanks for that. I'll take a look tomorrow to confirm. Unfortunately it's a 2010 car so out of warranty now.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

I don't suppose you have a photo of the air doser? I've taken a look today and I can't locate it and servicebox is not very helpful either.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have taken some photos of the doser valve, these have been taken with the top engine cover off, as you can see the doser valve it has two large air duct pipes running downwards out of it, when mine developed the problem the left hand pipe coming out of the base of doser valve as in picture would suck in flat for a second or to having switched off engine as the groaning or farting noise happened.

The next picture shows to the right of doser valve there is just room to push your hand down & feel a small connecting pipe maybe a 1/4" diameter this is the one you can pull off to see if it changes the noise as it happens, you cannot see this pipe from this position but it is down there, you can also follow the pipe as it runs across the engine with a black braded plastic cover this pipe runs between the doser valve & the solenoid.

The next picture shows top back left of engine where the solenoid is mounted just out of view at the rear top left of engine, this is held on with two small nuts & you can follow the same black pipe from doser valve to it but please note you cannot see this part but you can feel for it obviously making it hard to change this is where the noise comes from on mine, it maybe the only problem you have which would be the solenoid it is worth getting this changed first the price I've been given is £52.00 & half an hour labour to fit, hope this helps.

Attachments

• 001_zps49eef759.jpg
    001_zps49eef759.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 3,689
  • 002_zps1177b43b.jpg
    002_zps1177b43b.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 3,689
  • 004_zpsbd24fd37.jpg
    004_zpsbd24fd37.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3,689
  • 003_zps740455f2.jpg
    003_zps740455f2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 3,689
Reaction score
Ren the first photo is where the solenoid is situated the second one is showing the small pipe from solenoid to doser valve that you can pull off as it makes the noise, third picture is the doser valve on front of engine.

Reaction score
Well got my Z back today after having the solenoid fitted & now I have a quite engine & no groaning or farting noises result, so if anyone is suffering with a similar noise than get the solenoid checked. :thumbup:

Goodbye

Reaction score
old tread but maybe will be helpful for somebody, farting noise after turning engine on Hdi off is normal
Solenoid is self adjusting, same as Egr
nothing wrong with it

johnny1901

Reaction score
Very old thread but my new RCZ makes a "farting noise" when I turn it off. In Diagnbox there are zero codes. Can someone confirm:
1. A "farting" noise a frew seconds after turning the Hdi off is indeed normal
2. If there was a problem with the "dose valve/solenoid" it would throw up a code in the ECU or some associated control unit?

My car has covered 58,000 miles. It drives superbly. Engine is perfect. No fault codes...but I don't know if it made this noise since day 1 as I only purchased recently.