What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Peugeot 308GT

A

Anonymous

I saw this earlier on today and, if I'm honest, I can't see it selling too well. They're awfully late in coming to the party and, as I saw someone comment on FB, have brought a knife to an arms race. It just doesn't have the desirability or power that others in its class have. Having a 250 AND a 270 BHP version is a slightly odd approach. That said, I realise that the Golf GTI has similar options in terms of the additional performance if you spec the "performance pack".

Now I'm not out and out saying that I dislike it, I don't and I really like those 19ins alloys but, for the money and with the competition on offer, I wouldn't buy it.

What do others think?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There will be people who will love this.

My thoughts on Peugeot without the RCZ cannot be published, even on this forum.
When (hopefully some years away yet) my Z has to move on to own someone else, I will not be visiting my local Pug dealer for my next ride.

Tomas_90

Reaction score
To be honest I would have bought the HYbrid version had they made it, but i don't think i'd buy one of these.

If i were, i'd buy the RCZ R instead.

TAC

Reaction score
Not for me :roll: I might buy a 5.0 V8 FASTBACK instead

renegade79

Reaction score
Interesting power plants but it ain't pretty!! It looks very dull from
The front end. Interior is nice though. I prefer the front end look of the 208 Gti! :sleeping-yellow:

A

Anonymous

Pretty car but it's only goona be a Luke warm hatch surrounded by hot hatches pitty.

A

Anonymous

It's just so...bland... Not for me in afraid. Dunno what's happened to Peugeot, the French should be the epitome of flair and style and the only current Peugeot with those qualities in spades had just been dropped...

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I just keep imagining a line up of all the Current Peugeot models, put the 270 bhp version of the 308 GT in there and the 156 RCZ, and I reckon at least 7 out of every 10 people would go for the Z every time.

Sorry, I still can't believe they're dropping the Z.

This 308 is a "hot hatch" in a world of hot hatches, and not exactly the most desirable of the bunch.

The only thing close to the Z is the TT, and this is arguably not as innovative as the Z, and is generally more expensive like for like, making the Z the best option of that small bunch.

I understand the financial reasons behind the decision, but long term, I'm not sure that it is the correct one for the brand.

There will be those who are loyal to Peugeot who have probably been waiting for this exact car to emerge, and I'm happy for them. Personally, I think Pug could have done a lot more with this, so I won't be test driving one anytime soon. But that's just me :eusa-think:

Tomas_90

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I just keep imagining a line up of all the Current Peugeot models, put the 270 bhp version of the 308 GT in there and the 156 RCZ, and I reckon at least 7 out of every 10 people would go for the Z every time.

Sorry, I still can't believe they're dropping the Z.

This 308 is a "hot hatch" in a world of hot hatches, and not exactly the most desirable of the bunch.

The only thing close to the Z is the TT, and this is arguably not as innovative as the Z, and is generally more expensive like for like, making the Z the best option of that small bunch.

I understand the financial reasons behind the decision, but long term, I'm not sure that it is the correct one for the brand.

There will be those who are loyal to Peugeot who have probably been waiting for this exact car to emerge, and I'm happy for them. Personally, I think Pug could have done a lot more with this, so I won't be test driving one anytime soon. But that's just me :eusa-think:
Well said!

A

Anonymous

It's a strange move to cut the RCZ from your lineup in order to build an even more niche vehicle. I would bet good money that this will sell far less units than the RCZ did!

The RCZ was uniquely placed in the marketplace and offered the only real competition to the TT...and for less money. The 308 GTI models enter a crowded marketplace and come without anything new to offer. It has no real pedigree in this class (although I acknowledge that it didn't have any in the arena of sports coupe either) and I cannot see who will buy this car.

Peugeot, I think you've made a mistake here.

2retro

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
+1

I was at the local Pug dealership yesterday enquiring about my service and was taking to them in general about the RCZ. The sales guys there were very surprised that the RCZ was being cut as they said they always sold well so ???

Tomas_90

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
It's a strange move to cut the RCZ from your lineup in order to build an even more niche vehicle. I would bet good money that this will sell far less units than the RCZ did!

The RCZ was uniquely placed in the market place and offered the only real competition to the TT and for less money. The 308 GTI models entered a crowded marketplace and comes without anything new to offer. It has no real pedigree in this class (although I acknowledge that it didn't have any in the arena of sports coupe either) and I cannot see who will buy this car.

Hence why they should have built the Hybrid 308 instead of this ''nothing to offer GTi''... Completely wrong move by Peugeot!

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Man, i'm looking at this 308 Allure/GT more and more each day now! :( Why do i like it so?! Damnit i want to keep my Z but at the same time i want one of these for god knows what reason. I don't even need it, i have more space in my Z than i know what to do with already.

This may very well be the replacement car when the time comes, but i just have to resist a while longer! :(