What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

P0488 and p1498

Scott S

Reaction score
For the last week I've had the EML come on when starting up the car, when it first came on it went into limp mode but after that it drove fine but still had the light on. I tested it with a cheap reader and that came back with the p0488 code. However I got a second opinion off someone who works at a garage and they used a proper reader and that brought up both of the above. However this is where it gets strange, while his reader was plugged in the car drove perfectly fine with the engine light off, the second he unplugged it the light came straight back on it was like his reader by passed the error. I'm thinking both these codes relate to the Egr valve as it's the diesel, I've looked under the bonnet today and located it but it looks tricky to remove, does anyone have a step by step guide on how to remove it??

Scott S

Reaction score
So after getting the car carbon cleaned which did not work :thumbdown: I decided to get it re-mapped and have the EGR taken off the ECU, £180 later the EML has now gone and the car drives fine again. However I'm still nervous its gonna come back.

Scott S

Reaction score
As I feared this wasn't the end, I started getting a yelping noise from the passengers side of the engine everytime I changed gear, i also got a squeeling noise everytime i went about 2000 revs, I'm thinking the turbos going.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
The "proper reader" was this planet/diagbox? The dealer equipment.
If not, it could well be worth your while slipping a helpful local member who has it a fiver for a scan to gather correct information.

In my experience generic readers (no matter how much they cost) can be hit or miss.

I paid for the TPS system to be deactivated in my first 407. Did it work?
No, because the guy's several hundred pound reader couldn't access the instrument binnacle ecu, which is the second place you have to turn them off in.

It also couldn't tell me which ABS sensor had failed.

So I bought my own diagbox kit.