What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

One day and engine management light is on HELP HELP!!

Ginge2202

Reaction score
I have owned this car for one day and now the engine management light is on. Car stopped pulling in second and went into limp mode abs the radiator fan came on at high speed. Anyone got any idea of what the issue might be.

Flanners

Reaction score
Get a code reader on it...but with a crystal ball Iwill kick off the bidding with the fuel pump, if it is petrol. What mileage is it? History? Warranty?

wilsofar

Reaction score
I had the same and despite various fault codes showing other symptoms ,turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump (after I had spent a fortune on everything from timing chain,coil packs etc etc).

The pump will very likely fail before 100k so in any event replacing that is a no brainer - and if everything is then ok you’re a winner!

Ginge2202

Reaction score
Get a code reader on it...but with a crystal ball Iwill kick off the bidding with the fuel pump, if it is petrol. What mileage is it? History? Warranty?
In a bit of predicament there. I purchased the car on my way up to work. (I work offshore) in Aberdeen. I’m going offshore tomorrow for 2 weeks so the car is sat in a car park. Luckily I know someone who lives in Aberdeen who will collect the car key and I can arrange recovery under the warranty. There is only one year where there is no record of service in 2019. Dealer said they had serviced the car and MOT had no advisories. Luckily I had purchased a warranty on the car which covers repairs up to £1200.

Ginge2202

Reaction score
I had the same and despite various fault codes showing other symptoms ,turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump (after I had spent a fortune on everything from timing chain,coil packs etc etc).

The pump will very likely fail before 100k so in any event replacing that is a no brainer - and if everything is then ok you’re a winner!
Thanks for that

Ginge2202

Reaction score
In a bit of predicament there. I purchased the car on my way up to work. (I work offshore) in Aberdeen. I’m going offshore tomorrow for 2 weeks so the car is sat in a car park. Luckily I know someone who lives in Aberdeen who will collect the car key and I can arrange recovery under the warranty. There is only one year where there is no record of service in 2019. Dealer said they had serviced the car and MOT had no advisories. Luckily I had purchased a warranty on the car which covers repairs up to £1200.
Car has only done 58000

Kerr

Reaction score

Often warranties don't start immediately to stop people signing up knowing their car is faulty. They also don't cover pre-existing faults. You've either been really unlucky, or someone reset the fault knowing the car had the fault.

They also throw claims out if the car hasn't got a full history. That missing service could end your warranty.

With the fault happening so soon it's the dealer that you bought the car off that are liable for fixing it.

Flanners

Reaction score
Hope you get it sorted soon, horrid start to ownership but dealer you bought if from should replace it. My hpfp went on my R at low mileage.....guess they're just not up to the high pressures needed for direct injection as so many seem to fail at low mileages.

Ginge2202

Reaction score
Often warranties don't start immediately to stop people signing up knowing their car is faulty. They also don't cover pre-existing faults. You've either been really unlucky, or someone reset the fault knowing the car had the fault.

They also throw claims out if the car hasn't got a full history. That missing service could end your warranty.

With the fault happening so soon it's the dealer that you bought the car off that are liable for fixing it.
So why did he sell me a warranty if it wasn’t valid

Ginge2202

Reaction score
Hope you get it sorted soon, horrid start to ownership but dealer you bought if from should replace it. My hpfp went on my R at low mileage.....guess they're just not up to the high pressures needed for direct injection as so many seem to fail at low mileages.
Did you experience the same symptoms? What was the cost of repair

Kerr

Reaction score
So why did he sell me a warranty if it wasn’t valid
That's how they make their money. Selling add ons like warranty, GAP, car coatings, and all other warranties.

Who is the warranty with? Have you read the T&Cs?

What garage did you buy the car from?

It will be the dealer you need to contact first.

Ginge2202

Reaction score

What was the cost of replacing the HPFP

Ginge2202

Reaction score
That's how they make their money. Selling add ons like warranty, GAP, car coatings, and all other warranties.

Who is the warranty with? Have you read the T&Cs?

What garage did you buy the car from?

It will be the dealer you need to contact first.

The warranty is with momentum secure

bought the car from Cumbernauld car sales

Ginge2202

Reaction score
Is there a way of seeing if codes have been cleared

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The symptoms you have described could point to the HPFP but it could also be a coil pack that has gone. Did the car sound lumpy (like it was misfiring ?).
I replaced all four coil packs and plugs, but it soon became clear it was the HPFP. I had all the work done under my Peugeot Platinum extended warranty.
I think the cost for the HPFP to the warranty company was in the region of £800. The work was carried out by a main dealer.

The dealer who sold you the car is responsible for the repair as he had only just sold you the car, regardless of any warranty he sold you.. The car has to be fit for purpose and it clearly wasn’t.
You also have the right to reject the car if he cannot fix it in one go. This is the consumer rights in the U.K.

Woodso

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago which was diagnosed as cylinder 4 misfire. My garage changed the coil pack on that cylinder along with all of the plugs as they were the original's, all in £182.00. Touch wood, everything OK up to date.

Flanners

Reaction score
Two types of pump, if I remember (?) 156 is far cheaper, the R and 200 are much more expensive circa £450. HPFP on it's way out throws coil pack codes and also from my experience and other posts leads to coil packs failing sometimes as a consequence/result and then going on to the pump itself going completely; poodling around town appears not to put the pressure on the pump, but the fault usually occurs when giving it beans/full throttle.

If codes are cleared the cheap reader I had had no record of any previous code being stored once deleted, may be different at a MD for sure.

For me a Warranty via Peugeot and was a circa £1100 job at a Main Dealer in 2019. Peugeot always seem to have issues sourcing fuel pumps of late can't see that being helped by Brexit and the complete load of bollocks/farce the Govt has made of the apparent free trade deal with Europe, my arse.

Agree with DKZ under the Consumer Law you can return the car if they are unable/unwilling to fix the problem, reckon whoever PX'd or sold the car knew all too well the HPFP was kaput.

Last edited: