What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil Leak rear of engine drivers side

TL17

Reaction score
Thought would share this from my 2011 36k km 200THP.

Noticed oil patch on car stand getting worse and seemed to be coming from upper back of engine on drivers side. Difficult to get into see or feel so removed the plastic pipe and steel bracket that sits on right engine mount. Popped in mirror on stick and torch - seemed to be leaking in vicinity of large bolt - turns out to be timing chain tensioner. I was able to turn damned thing by hand?! Removed it by hand, found culprit which is crushed Alu washer. 54A1D058-C57D-4032-9501-C2D41868D158.jpeg

You can see crush ridges.

As it’s a Sunday and seems that’s the only issue I decided to dress the washer on fine emery on a glass sheet so keeps flat, using oil.

B2CA5454-EE32-4C23-AA8F-9346F82D4227.jpegResults good:

21303689-595A-449F-BC08-1641E585D75E.jpeg
Used a tiny smear of loctite assembly gasket - as used on my Audi 1.8 cylinder head as recommended between head and cam carrier - does not dry, is not silicon etc - excellent stuff. Tiny smear, that’s all, belt and braces style. Fitted back.

Now the fun - book says 65Nm but impossible to get a torque wrench in there so made up a combination of socket and spanner to bring the turning point out to where I could give it a proper go. It’s a 27mm socket but thin walled as a sensor sits right alongside. One 27 fitted, another didn’t.

Hv run engine up, cycled cold hot cold, checked for leaks with my mirror on stick again - clean so seems done the trick. Will re-check in a few k

Pedro

Reaction score
You should have replaced that tensioner mine went on 34.450 & are a known chain killer on the Princes they go as hard as a rock & begin to fail then the chains stretch out to their max 68mm whist destroying the guides in the cassette

TL17

Reaction score
I don’t disagree but with only just over 22k guaranteed miles on the clock I thought better to leave what’s in place alone for the time being as should still be ok. But I take your point - I will be keeping an eye on this area, not that it’s easy to see any issues as they develop. Wasn’t there a mod made by PSA/BMW to improve this situation?

Pedro

Reaction score
I don’t disagree but with only just over 22k guaranteed miles on the clock I thought better to leave what’s in place alone for the time being as should still be ok. But I take your point - I will be keeping an eye on this area, not that it’s easy to see any issues as they develop. Wasn’t there a mod made by PSA/BMW to improve this situation?
I believe they changed the Timing chain components to beef them up apparently from 2013 onwards

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yes, the modified part was fitted to the MKII from 2013. I believe the MKI’s that had theirs replaced were fitted with the modified part also.