What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil catch can

Fluke

Reaction score
Is it worth fitting one to the 156? If so which oil catch can do you recommend and can anyone tell me where and hot I fit one? Thanks.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Not many have done this on the RCZ but it has been done and relatively easy job the mini guys are the experts so maybe worth doing some research on a mini forum cooper S engine is the same

tm2204

Reaction score
Is it worth fitting one to the 156? If so which oil catch can do you recommend and can anyone tell me where and hot I fit one? Thanks.

I've ordered one and I'm going to fit it to my 156. Thing is I now believe you need to fit two... one on the vacuum side (left) of the engine and another on the boost side (right). I'll fit the boost side first then look to fit the vacuum side.

Here's the link to the one I ordered... it's baffled and has a drain valve on the bottom.

Pedro

Reaction score
Why fit a Catch can? Just keep the oil clean & Change the oil/filter more regularly before the service data suggests in the book catch cans were fitted to collect the dirty oil mist & residues but they were I believe developed for the race track fraternity & then marketed for general use so if they are needed why haven't all HPT cars have them fitted I always say Filthy oil=A filthy Engine & the answer is on the end of a dipstick

tm2204

Reaction score
Why fit a Catch can? Just keep the oil clean & Change the oil/filter more regularly before the service data suggests in the book catch cans were fitted to collect the dirty oil mist & residues but they were I believe developed for the race track fraternity & then marketed for general use so if they are needed why haven't all HPT cars have them fitted I always say Filthy oil=A filthy Engine & the answer is on the end of a dipstick

Whether the oil is fresh and clean or dirty what gets collected in the catch can, I believe, is the 'blow by' (gases, oil & fuel) which is ventilated by the PCV and recirculated through the cold side of the turbo, on into the inter-cooler, and into the inlet manifold via the throttle body. Some normal 'burn off' will occur with this gunk but I've no doubt it also contributes to carbon build up on the backs of inlet valves and it can't be great for the turbo, inter-cooler and throttle body either I recon.

From the videos I've watched these catch cans seem to trap a lot of oily mess or gunk so I'll install one (or two) and see how I get on. I'll report back in time with what I find 👍 :)

Pedro

Reaction score
Whether the oil is fresh and clean or dirty what gets collected in the catch can, I believe, is the 'blow by' (gases, oil & fuel) which is ventilated by the PCV and recirculated through the cold side of the turbo, on into the inter-cooler, and into the inlet manifold via the throttle body. Some normal 'burn off' will occur with this gunk but I've no doubt it also contributes to carbon build up on the backs of inlet valves and it can't be great for the turbo, inter-cooler and throttle body either I recon.

From the videos I've watched these catch cans seem to trap a lot of oily mess or gunk so I'll install one (or two) and see how I get on. I'll report back in time with what I find 👍 :)
The inlet valves are known to get gunged up on all direct injection engines & a lot of modern cars in general so you couldn't say its is down to the Engine not having an oil catch can its the way they are designed to perform plus the amount of heat generated through the combustion process also contributes to the burning & carbon build up in the valve ports

tm2204

Reaction score
The inlet valves are known to get gunged up on all direct injection engines & a lot of modern cars in general so you couldn't say its is down to the Engine not having an oil catch can its the way they are designed to perform plus the amount of heat generated through the combustion process also contributes to the burning & carbon build up in the valve ports
Ok but if that's the case why do so many direct injection petrol engines have this problem of carbon deposits on the inlet valves that leads to issues necessitating them getting walnut blasted or cleaned in other ways?

This issue has been addressed by many car manufacturers adding a second injector into the intake behind the valves that periodically inject petrol onto the back of the valves helping to lubricate/clean them and reduce carbon buildup.

I don't know if oil catch cans are the solution because if they are you would wonder why car manufacturers don't factory fit them. But I've researched enough into this problem to determine that i'm gonna install one (or two) and see how it performs and if it helps as I plan to keep my 156 THP for quite some time :)

Pedro

Reaction score
I agree catch cans may not be the solution one of the problems is modern Engines generate masses amount of heat which makes the oil degenerate quicker so when the oil is replaced its well & truly cooked & as for the gunged up valves up I remember a couple of CVH Engines I decoked for people years ago had similar Carbon build up issues
I don't think its the design of the Engines It may be all down to the oil when they started using synthetic oils I think that started the ball rolling with all these valve problems in my mind it may & possible still is down to viscosity & that is what's causing the vapours (oil mists) to fill the valve chambers hence the Build up of crap