What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Off the road...but could have been worse!

Ecrivain

Reaction score
So Tuesday, I took the RCZ HDi out and the engine stuttered a bit 500m up the road, then again, and again, then engine warning light, "please repair" flashing at me. Turned around, went home. Booked into local garage for today for diagnostic. This morning, car won't start at all... I'm imagining all kinds of interminable engine management system woe...
Car's under Peugeot warranty, with Home breakdown assistance. They send an RAC guy. He opens bonnet and almost immediately says 'there's your problem' - a critter (his word, but presumably a small mouse or other rodent) has eaten part of the hand pump primer in the fuel line! Air getting into the mix, so not running
I'll have to pay, of course, and parts won't come till next week, but a bit relieved to know it wasn't more serious. I'm told £68 + vat + labour. (So budgeting £200 😂)

RAC guy tip: put mouse repellent on the hand pump. It's made of some kind of plastic with soy in it, and mice like them, apparently!!
Alternatively, a mouse trap!

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_135008952.jpg
    IMG_20211118_135008952.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Valex

Reaction score
Cars producers, in the last years, also for important components, went from steel to aluminium to plastic :mad: ... I was missing the food-grade-biodegradable plastic step o_O

😁

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Seal your garage door and stop the rodents from getting in...
I have been a pest controller for the last 30 plus years as I have seen some damage to cars of all value have damage to wiring looms and even eaten all the under seal on brand new cars too

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Seal your garage door and stop the rodents from getting in...
I have been a pest controller for the last 30 plus years as I have seen some damage to cars of all value have damage to wiring looms and even eaten all the under seal on brand new cars too
Unfortunately, the car is parked outside at night.
We have a wooden garage, full of other stuff, but some of that's been eaten by mice in the past, too! (Nothing of huge value, fortunately).

With regard to Mike's cat suggestion, I noticed that next door's cat was hanging about the drive when we came home after dark last night in the other car...

I do wonder if all the damage was done on the night prior to the problem - I was out after dark in the RCZ, that night, so the engine might have been a warm inviting place for a critter!

I'll try to add a photo of the damage to the original post above. It's only a small area, maybe 2cm X 0.5cm.