What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Newbie thinking of RCZ

The Raven

Reaction score
Hi all.

Im just getting ready to sell my supra, and im hunting for something to fill the weekend driver gap its become to expensive to justify me leaving it on the drive way 8 months of the year. I need something the wife can take if need be and the 400bhp beast with zero T/C isnt it.

I love the look of the RCZ and they seem great value. Im looking for the 200bhp model. I keep reading they suffer from coked valves and timing chain issues? Is there a fix for this or a later model that stopped these issues? Ive tried to do some research but its quite confusing.

Thanks for the help

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, the coking issue can affect all direct injection engines not just the RCZ, to be honest you don’t really hear of too many owners having to have their valves cleaned, the timing chain issues are now mainly down to lack of maintaining a good oil level and not doing regular oil changes with the correct oil.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
As said above, the valve issue is not a regular on these pages, and this seems to be where most people come with their car problems, so I assume it’s not a common fault.
The timing chain tensioner problem was pretty much (but not exclusively) restricted to the Mk1 RCZ (pre face lift model 2010-2013) as the MkII was fitted with the modified part from new. All the Mk1’s that were repaired were also fitted with a modified part, so were less likely to have a recurrence of the problem.
Keeping the oil level pretty much on the top mark of the dipstick is a given with the Prince engine and a lot of problems that happen are down to the owner not checking their oil level regularly.
Waiting for a low oil level warning on these engines is a sure fire way ending up at the dealers with an engine management light on the dash.

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
i think the thp 200 suffers less from the carbon build up due to PCV being blanked but im no expert 🤣