What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Newbie... researching RCZ R

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome Ezza, which model do you have? If you have the diesel then they’re pretty bulletproof units just keep up to a strict maintenance regime and you won’t go far wrong the only thing that seems to crop up is the end of the plastic dipstick breaking off which sounds like bad news but actually doesn’t cause any problems just buy a new one and move on.
If petrol, timing chain kits are the main one you can help it’s longevity with regular oil changes with the correct quality oil and keep it topped up to max on dipstick with regular checks. HP fuel pump is a common issue with pumps failing anywhere between 30k-80k but quite easy to sort but probably £500 touch. Coil packs are a regular failure that crops up on the forum but again quite easy to replace and not a dear item.
Let us know how your getting on and try and post some photos 👍

Kerr

Reaction score
The brakes are the big one. Those front brakes are expensive. The pistons in the calipers are made from mild steel and corrode. Places sell stainless steel replacements. The discs are expensive too and not many options.

It does look as if a lot of Rs go up for sale when the brakes need done.

The dipstick on my R is metal. It's much better than the dipstick in our Mini with a variant of the same engine.

Ezza

Reaction score
The brakes are the big one. Those front brakes are expensive. The pistons in the calipers are made from mild steel and corrode. Places sell stainless steel replacements. The discs are expensive too and not many options.

It does look as if a lot of Rs go up for sale when the brakes need done.

The dipstick on my R is metal. It's much better than the dipstick in our Mini with a variant of the same engine.
Would you say its worth having the R over other variants?
Does Diesel model have heavy brake wear also?

Ezza

Reaction score
Hi and welcome Ezza, which model do you have? If you have the diesel then they’re pretty bulletproof units just keep up to a strict maintenance regime and you won’t go far wrong the only thing that seems to crop up is the end of the plastic dipstick breaking off which sounds like bad news but actually doesn’t cause any problems just buy a new one and move on.
If petrol, timing chain kits are the main one you can help it’s longevity with regular oil changes with the correct quality oil and keep it topped up to max on dipstick with regular checks. HP fuel pump is a common issue with pumps failing anywhere between 30k-80k but quite easy to sort but probably £500 touch. Coil packs are a regular failure that crops up on the forum but again quite easy to replace and not a dear item.
Let us know how your getting on and try and post some photos 👍
Hi Neil, is there a trade off between petrol and Diesel and do you think the reliability is worth it?

Kerr

Reaction score
Would you say its worth having the R over other variants?
Does Diesel model have heavy brake wear also?

I've never driven another RCZ to offer my opinion how much better the R is. The R is a very capable car. It's quicker than people expect and it handles well.

What the premium is worth to you is only something you can decide.

The 380mm brakes on the R are just really expensive. I would imagine that the other versions of the RCZ the prices are normal.

indoldn

Reaction score
I've never driven another RCZ to offer my opinion how much better the R is. The R is a very capable car. It's quicker than people expect and it handles well.

What the premium is worth to you is only something you can decide.

The 380mm brakes on the R are just really expensive. I would imagine that the other versions of the RCZ the prices are normal.

I've not driven an R. I wanted an R and ended up getting a 200 due to the cost of front brakes. Completely agree with Kerr that ultimately only you can decide what the premium is worth to you. TBH I am glad I've not driven one as if I did I am sure I would have wanted one even more!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Neil, is there a trade off between petrol and Diesel and do you think the reliability is worth it?
It’s a close call because I personally haven’t had any real problems with my 156 I’m totally happy with it but if I were buying another it would either be a diesel or an R.
If you want a bulletproof motor go for a diesel most of the guys I attend meets with have diesels and they’re all thrilled with em

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ezza I have two Hdi in the household as I loved the drive I went out and got the wife one too..
Happy hunting....

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So just to throw a spanner in the works, my GT200 is awesome. It feels like your going faster than you are & you actually are going faster than you think 🤔🤯

Also, had it nearly 7 years, no major issues, still drives like a dream 👍

Marmite

Reaction score
I have not driven any or the rcz s but the r is a great drive an very quick for a 1600 iv come up against golf r an in the dry easily as quick but in the wet u won’t get a look in not unless your very brave . The front pads are easy enough to get any where , I don’t hammer mine on the brakes for the reasons that have been stated above , there quite good on fuel about the city I get 30 on a run I got 44 mpg . I did have to have my turbo re built due to water leak on the main bearing but I don’t think it’s a common problem
Hope u find what your looking for .

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I have not driven any or the rcz s but the r is a great drive an very quick for a 1600 iv come up against golf r an in the dry easily as quick but in the wet u won’t get a look in not unless your very brave . The front pads are easy enough to get any where , I don’t hammer mine on the brakes for the reasons that have been stated above , there quite good on fuel about the city I get 30 on a run I got 44 mpg . I did have to have my turbo re built due to water leak on the main bearing but I don’t think it’s a common problem
Hope u find what your looking for .

I do see why you save those brakes.
But you are missing out on one of the greatest assets of the R, its braking power. I for myself took a lot of driving pleasures with the R on the brake. Braking at the very last moment, balancing the car on the edge, oh what glorious times it were. Now I roll on a normal car. And I miss it a lot. The whole R package.

Marmite

Reaction score
I still drive it quick but I back of an use the gear box to slow down now if I come across something worth playing with I will go for it but most of the time it’s run of the mill cars that want to get past an I can’t be bothered an let them get on with it plus I’m 56 now 😂