What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Newbie looking for an R

Kerr

Reaction score
Another low mileage car has popped up on AutoTrader. It still has the original rear tyres on. They must be like plastic after 10 years.

Good photographs to prove the full service history, but I like when an owner tells more about the car and gives a genuine description. The owner has added nothing other than the basic line AutoTrader generates.

Charlie1875

Reaction score
maybe he has let the pictures speak for themselves, looks nice in white, good luck with the sale if he is a member on here
Another low mileage car has popped up on AutoTrader. It still has the original rear tyres on. They must be like plastic after 10 years.

Good photographs to prove the full service history, but I like when an owner tells more about the car and gives a genuine description. The owner has added nothing other than the basic line AutoTrader generates.

Kerr

Reaction score
How much is the seller asking for the white R above?

The white car is a private seller asking £14,500 for a 2015 car with 21,500 miles.

We went through a stage of a lot of cheaper, but none of them looking in good condition, Rs up for sale. There was a number of cars all below £10,000.

In recent weeks a number of more expensive cars have come to the market.

Since the more expensive cars have come to the market nearly all of the cheap cars have sold.

Kenneth

Reaction score
The white car is a private seller asking £14,500 for a 2015 car with 21,500 miles.

We went through a stage of a lot of cheaper, but none of them looking in good condition, Rs up for sale. There was a number of cars all below £10,000.

In recent weeks a number of more expensive cars have come to the market.

Since the more expensive cars have come to the market nearly all of the cheap cars have sold.
The white one looks decent. I’m not buying until we move house next year then I’ll have a garage with room for a few toys. Her indoors wants one anyway and will buy one the best one she can find then make me wash it

CliveWinters

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since being ULEZ'd I've been looking for a 200 but realised the R is within reach if I can get one at 10-12K, and have yet to find any reason not to buy one instead!
I came on the forum hoping to find the definitive buyer's guide, and expected to find a lot more problems with the R than I have on here, it having such high performance from a 1600 engine.
Any pointers will be welcome, especially if it leads me to a good R, preferably black!

Cheers

Al.
Hi Al,
I have a very tidy R which I may sell. I'm torn to be honest. It's Black. I bought it about 15 months ago and all I've done is had it serviced, including plugs, transmission oil change, oil, filters etc. The alloys are really VG indeed. Engine great, no issues. Used very little oil since last service, about 4000 miles. 4 Michelin Sports, hardly any wear. Only fault is the drivers window stopped dropping when opening the door...its intermittent. I'm nearly 75, so not a boy racer.
As I say, I'm torn because this car looks so good and goes so very well. You can contact me if you'd like, [email protected].

Gina0151

Reaction score
Hi Al,
I have a very tidy R which I may sell. I'm torn to be honest. It's Black. I bought it about 15 months ago and all I've done is had it serviced, including plugs, transmission oil change, oil, filters etc. The alloys are really VG indeed. Engine great, no issues. Used very little oil since last service, about 4000 miles. 4 Michelin Sports, hardly any wear. Only fault is the drivers window stopped dropping when opening the door...its intermittent. I'm nearly 75, so not a boy racer.
As I say, I'm torn because this car looks so good and goes so very well. You can contact me if you'd like, [email protected].
If your drivers window is intermittent and its making a squeaking noise like scraping or grinding or anything else like that try spraying some silicone spray lubricant to reduce friction (£8 Screwfix or Toolstation) inside the rubber seals along bottom of window and at both edges where the window goes up and down it’ll save the your elec window regulator from fraying or the window motor from burning out. If it stops working then there’s a guy on Ebay (Alan) recommended in other posts and threads here who refurbs the regulator for £50. Otherwise it’ll cost around £400 + at a garage

Marmite

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since being ULEZ'd I've been looking for a 200 but realised the R is within reach if I can get one at 10-12K, and have yet to find any reason not to buy one instead!
I came on the forum hoping to find the definitive buyer's guide, and expected to find a lot more problems with the R than I have on here, it having such high performance from a 1600 engine.
Any pointers will be welcome, especially if it leads me to a good R, preferably black!

Cheers

Al.
Honestly a great drive but I would not touch any Peugeot ever again there akin to owning a boat and if you owed a boat you will know what I mean 👍

Kerr

Reaction score
Honestly a great drive but I would not touch any Peugeot ever again there akin to owning a boat and if you owed a boat you will know what I mean 👍

Some people have had good experiences and some have had bad. Forums are usually the worst place to judge as most people sign up when they are having problems.

As the cars are getting older and cheaper maintenance is neglected leading to issues.

Claret63

Reaction score
I think there are plenty to chose from at the moment, which is good, the white R looks decent value for money given the mileage.
Should sell quickly at a that price.

Gina0151

Reaction score
With any make of car they all have their specific issues which differs slightly depending on the model. I agree that Peugeots with Puretech engines are to be avoided. But RCZ does not have that engine and is not actually assembled and produced by Peugeot. It was made in the same Austrian factory as BMW, Mercedes Benz and Toyota Supra. With due diligence and a little research you know what weaknesses to get replaced on the RCZ or look out for: put the correct oil in Total Quartz Inneo 0w 30 and change it annually regardless what any manual states, slack timing chain, aux belt, water pump, temp thermostat sensor and the front jacking points being inferior. After owning my RCZ 1.6 GT 156THP for 8 years nothing else comes close for me. I will definitely buy another if I have to but I maintain mine well and low miles so in my case I want it to last.
Everyone has a nightmare experience with any car at some time in their lives and sometimes it’s just bad luck but usually it’s down to poor maintenance or garage mistakes. I personally don’t like the feel if the drive with the R. I’d go for a 200 or even a 156 like mine with genuine low miles and receipts for the parts replaced

Claret63

Reaction score
With any make of car they all have their specific issues which differs slightly depending on the model. I agree that Peugeots with Puretech engines are to be avoided. But RCZ does not have that engine and is not actually assembled and produced by Peugeot. It was made in the same Austrian factory as BMW, Mercedes Benz and Toyota Supra. With due diligence and a little research you know what weaknesses to get replaced on the RCZ or look out for: put the correct oil in Total Quartz Inneo 0w 30 and change it annually regardless what any manual states, slack timing chain, aux belt, water pump, temp thermostat sensor and the front jacking points being inferior. After owning my RCZ 1.6 GT 156THP for 8 years nothing else comes close for me. I will definitely buy another if I have to but I maintain mine well and low miles so in my case I want it to last.
Everyone has a nightmare experience with any car at some time in their lives and sometimes it’s just bad luck but usually it’s down to poor maintenance or garage mistakes. I personally don’t like the feel if the drive with the R. I’d go for a 200 or even a 156 like mine with genuine low miles and receipts for the parts replaced
Nice write up, agree with with your points, but you have to remember that most people who buy the RCZ don’t care or want to spend money on their car’s maintenance, generally the RCZ sadly sits at the very low end of the market, hence those who buy are in the low buyers bracket, they are the type who want to have a go at DIY and don’t spend money on their cars. Nothing wrong with that or the people that buy them. There are of course people who cherish their car such as yourself and people on here.
The R though is in a slightly different price bracket generally, but there are still plenty out there neglected, engine wise though a R is quite a lot different from the other engine line ups.

Kerr

Reaction score
I think we will see the numbers of R dropping over the next year. Oddly the numbers went up in 2023 Q4. I assume some cars were neither taxed or SORN before.

There is also a car registered in 2017 that wasn't listed previously.

There are quite a lot of R needing lots of work coming up now. As per always most R come up needing new brakes. I'm seeing more with sticking front and rear calipers. A few need new wheels as they are too thin after over machining and quite a number are showing rust.

I think the bills to repair some of them are not economical.

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Does that good luck extend to me, as I am on here and selling lol
Yes it does mate, I was only commenting one the white one because it’s new on autotrader, I really do like them in red,

when I was looking for an R I really wanted one in white, red or grey and ended up with a black one!

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Yes it does mate, I was only commenting one the white one because it’s new on autotrader, I really do like them in red,

when I was looking for an R I really wanted one in white, red or grey and ended up with a black one!
Yes definitely good luck with selling your Red one, trouble Is are there many private buyers out there that will buy off a private seller, I did as i think you will hunt out a looked after cherished example, but alot of people would prefer an inferior example off a trader/dealer that is offering finance/warranty etc.

Claret63

Reaction score
Yes definitely good luck with selling your Red one, trouble Is are there many private buyers out there that will buy off a private seller, I did as i think you will hunt out a looked after cherished example, but alot of people would prefer an inferior example off a trader/dealer that is offering finance/warranty etc.
Yes agree, but you cannot beat the Peugeot warranty period, as it’s an unlimited spend for repairs and MOT, unfortunately I can’t offer finance lol.

Gina0151

Reaction score
Nice write up, agree with with your points, but you have to remember that most people who buy the RCZ don’t care or want to spend money on their car’s maintenance, generally the RCZ sadly sits at the very low end of the market, hence those who buy are in the low buyers bracket, they are the type who want to have a go at DIY and don’t spend money on their cars. Nothing wrong with that or the people that buy them. There are of course people who cherish their car such as yourself and people on here.
The R though is in a slightly different price bracket generally, but there are still plenty out there neglected, engine wise though a R is quite a lot different from the other engine line ups.
Alas it is a pity that some people don’t expect to have to pay anything to keep a car running well for long term. I see it this way: I’d rather spend £500 replacing parts and annual maintenance of an RCZ than on a boring run of the mill SUV or Corsas 🤣 I even clean and lubricate the rubber seals everywhere all over the car, engine, boot seals and window seals. £8 can to prevent thousands of pounds if wear and tear in future, it’s a no brainer.
I digress. Anyhoo I do believe actually that MOST RCZ owners do care for and try to maintain their car more than other car owners because we become fanatics. If you don’t then you can’t blame the car.

Kerr

Reaction score

There was a red car for sale privately recently with 29,000 miles. It was advertised at £14,500 and didn't sell. It then went back to Alpha cars and they advertised it for £15,995 and it has sold quickly.

I'm surprised it passed an MOT when there is a fault for automatic headlamp adjustment. I thought that would be an automatic failure.

I think most buyers will want to trade their current car in and often require finance.

Gina0151

Reaction score
There was a red car for sale privately recently with 29,000 miles. It was advertised at £14,500 and didn't sell. It then went back to Alpha cars and they advertised it for £15,995 and it has sold quickly.

I'm surprised it passed an MOT when there is a fault for automatic headlamp adjustment. I thought that would be an automatic failure.

I think most buyers will want to trade their current car in and often require finance.
Yes definitely good luck with selling your Red one, trouble Is are there many private buyers out there that will buy off a private seller, I did as i think you will hunt out a looked after cherished example, but alot of people would prefer an inferior example off a trader/dealer that is offering finance/warranty
True. Most people assume that buying a second hand car from a sales garage is ‘safer’ because they get a standard 3 month warranty but won’t be honoured if anything does go wrong and they try to wangle out of their after sales warranty obligations. most sales garages just buy in cheap cars at auction or part exes, give them a polish and a valet and add anywhere from a couple of grand up to £5k on the price and then shove it through an MOT that’s usually attached to the garage or has a “special relationship” with and often repairs aren’t sufficiently done anyway.
It’s cheaper to get a bank loan and buy from a private seller but get an inspection done and look at mot history online.