What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New RCZ owner - BUT having problems!

Elspur87

Reaction score
Hi All

I have recently purchased a black 2011 plate Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP, which was running well for the first few days. However, dreaded engine light came on a few days afterwards. Managed to get hold of the dealership who have been absolutely useless but agreed to repair. A week later I was hoping to take this up (an hour away) to be repaired, however upon checking again the engine light is now flashing and the fan does not turn off for about 5 minutes after being turned off, sounding like a jet engine! Engine temperature dial is showing no reading so assuming its a sensor/thermostat issue.

Frustrating part is that the car was supposed to come with a WarrantyWise warranty (confirmed in writing with an email) but have had no sign of this from the dealership. They are now not answering my calls and I do not feel comfortable driving it over an hour with it as it is currently up to the dealership (flashing engine light) in the hopes of catching them.

I have texted the dealership to advise that they need to repair under the consumer rights act 2015 and ideally need to collect it at no cost to myself to do so but nothing from their side. Trying not to panic too much but unsure what my options are if they continue to ignore me.

Unsure what other issues the car may have but loathed to pay out of my own pocket when it should be covered by them or this supposed warranty. A real shame as I love the car but it's quickly become a lot of hassle. Any advice would be massively appreciated!!

Elliott

coldel

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. I have heard this story a million times - despite the perceived guarantees people think they have when they pay a premium from dealers it is by no means an easy affair getting them to actually do anything should you need it.

Have you tried calling from a different phone, they might be avoiding your number. Failing that take another car over and talk to them in the dealership. Do not drive your RCZ, in fact do not even drive it another metre leave it as it is. In all cases keep your cool and leave your emotions at the door, anything confrontational or threatening will in most cases not work, and could be quoted against you.

You are looking for them to be as cooperative as possible, sure you have the right in the first 30 days to reject the car but this is worst case scenario for them. Also the CRA does not mean ANY fault is on them, anything that is a degradable part like brakes tyres etc. obviously isn't covered, so try your best to know the fault before you go in demanding X Y and Z. Can you do a diagnostic check on the car to find the fault yourself? If it turns out to be a cheap sensor they might be more likely to take your call and take the car back. I know this isn't how it should work but ultimately you just want the car fixed.

Note down the times and dates of all correspondence, after any verbal agreement follow up with a physical letter and send it special delivery so its recorded at collection.

And good luck, as I say keep your cool and try to do as much negotiating by phone or in person as you can as email/text are generally never going to make it.

Elspur87

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the response on this. Tried calling on a different number and managed to get through (shame they're resorting to ignoring my calls!)

They will apparently come and collect the car on Thursday this week, which I will then apparently have to go and collect once repaired (annoying but fine). Not inclined to trust them massively, but just need the car working. Problem is I think they will collect the car and just drive it back to the dealership which makes me slightly nervous in the current condition. I have asked that this is collected by a truck, but do I have the right to refuse them to drive it as it is?

Thanks very much

coldel

Reaction score
It doesn't say specifically in the CRA rules around collection. But its on them if they break it even more. And yes you need to go collect it once its done.

Is there a pedal dance or similar you can do to check diagnostics on the car? Or even get a cheap OBD2 reader and plug it in? At least get a view on what's wrong - if it returns a fault that says 'do not drive this car under any circumstances' then you should raise this officially with them (again get it in writing).

Now you have agreed to a repair, remember your 30 days right to reject does not include the days it spends at the dealership.

But yes some red flags are already coming up if they are deliberately ignoring your calls so tread carefully - record everything, send letters confirming any verbal agreements etc.

Elspur87

Reaction score
Ok, good to know on collection, that's not a problem.

Not sure on the diagnostics, but will look into sourcing an OBD2 reader if possible. Just flashes up on the screen saying engine fault - repair needed when started.

Didn't know about the 30 days exception with the repairs so that's useful, thanks for the heads up on that.

In general, they have been very evasive and previously advised they do not do refunds when I managed to speak to them when the light came on initially, which is definitely a red flag if the issue doesn't get resolved. Ideally do not want to have to go down the legal route if it can be avoided...

Pedro

Reaction score
Hello Elspur87 welcome to the forum sorry to hear your predicament
Here's a stupid question is the coolant level correct? The Fan coming on full is triggered by the ECU as its detected the Engine Temp data is wrong or it has not responded to any signals being sent back & forth the cooling system sensors thus it has to protect the Engine from serious damage hence the EML on the dash warning don't drive the car
Regarding dealers some are Toxic when it comes to aftersales service but if you stand your ground they will eventually see your not backing down I personally advise people to steer well away from them when buying a second hand car

coldel

Reaction score
They do not do refunds? Oh my they really are trying it on. Who is the dealer out of interest? Junction 17 are known as being utterly terrible who are near London. But yes with dealers you need to stand your ground, know your stuff, be prepared for a long term battle. Its why lots of people now buy from dealers using a credit card, as you pass the issue to the credit company and get your money back from them.

You can buy ODB2 readers off ebay for 20 quid. They work with most cars, although never tried one with an RCZ you would have to check in with other members on here who own one.

Elspur87

Reaction score
Hello Elspur87 welcome to the forum sorry to hear your predicament
Here's a stupid question is the coolant level correct? The Fan coming on full is triggered by the ECU as its detected the Engine Temp data is wrong or it has not responded to any signals being sent back & forth the cooling system sensors thus it has to protect the Engine from serious damage hence the EML on the dash warning don't drive the car
Regarding dealers some are Toxic when it comes to aftersales service but if you stand your ground they will eventually see your not backing down I personally advise people to steer well away from them when buying a second hand car
Thanks for the warm welcome! Coolant level is correct, did check this but the fact that the engine temp dial isn't moving is what makes me suspicious that its a sensor or thermostat issue.

Elspur87

Reaction score
They do not do refunds? Oh my they really are trying it on. Who is the dealer out of interest? Junction 17 are known as being utterly terrible who are near London. But yes with dealers you need to stand your ground, know your stuff, be prepared for a long term battle. Its why lots of people now buy from dealers using a credit card, as you pass the issue to the credit company and get your money back from them.

You can buy ODB2 readers off ebay for 20 quid. They work with most cars, although never tried one with an RCZ you would have to check in with other members on here who own one.
The dealership is a certain dealership at the following post code N W 1 0 7 X R. Autotrader reviews were generally favorable but wish I had checked the google reviews a little more thoroughly. Lots of lessons learned throughout the whole process here.

Here's hoping they do actually come and collect the car on Thursday!

Elspur87

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. Called shortly after the scheduled time to be told that they were contacting the driver and would get back to me. Heard nothing and called back 15+ times with no answer.
In the end my partner called and managed to get through immediately, who was told they had not been able to get through to the driver and that they may have to collect it themselves. No further news and have not been able to make contact since.

Whole situation is becoming pretty stressful at this point and not sure what my options are. They have already said they will not refund the money but understand they have an obligation to do this under CRA 2015, just not sure how that can be enforced.

Pedro

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. Called shortly after the scheduled time to be told that they were contacting the driver and would get back to me. Heard nothing and called back 15+ times with no answer.
In the end my partner called and managed to get through immediately, who was told they had not been able to get through to the driver and that they may have to collect it themselves. No further news and have not been able to make contact since.

Whole situation is becoming pretty stressful at this point and not sure what my options are. They have already said they will not refund the money but understand they have an obligation to do this under CRA 2015, just not sure how that can be enforced.
You need to contact Trading standards urgently present the case & let them contact the Garage as per their remit & as a council tax payer you are legally entitled to their services also maybe contact Citizens advice/Motoring Ombudsman for more help it looks like they are trying to wash their hands of the whole situation

Pedro

Reaction score

CRA 2015 can be enforced in a court of Law if its goes that far! I wonder could you post more info about the fault OBD codes etc give us some idea of what the issues might be it may be that a local indie garage if trading standards get involved could help you get the car running properly if these dealer cretins are willing to go the whole mile with their crap aftersales service which may mean a court order

coldel

Reaction score
Not unexpected. Have you ordered a cheap OBD reader? One of the best £20 I have spent on Amazon, use it all the time on multiple cars and always take it on road trips. If its a simple fault, yes the dealer should fix it, but if its going to be a £30 sensor or something just do it yourself and take the hit, its not worth the stress.

The CRA is enforceable by law of course, but too many times I see this, and dealers know it, that many people fold before taking it all the way. Which is why most of them will actively dodge their obligations. Its also why for lower price cars, buy by credit card, its so much easier than relying on the CRA. The whole idea of 'dealer protection' is a ridiculous notion because the reality is so far from the theory and this happens all the time.

If it goes to court, you will need to take it to small claims and go through that process where the dealer will in most instances stall and wait till the very last minute and make it difficult for you. Then assuming it is a fault that was present on the car at purchase (which is why you should get an OBD reader and just check this!) they are at liberty to pay you back, plus expenses and costs for owning the car from the moment you requested a collection to the time of the court decision.

Bad Dog

Reaction score
Hello Elspur87
I am sorry to hear of this problem with the dealer.

If you want to take the matter up formally with the dealer drop me a PM - it's what I do for a living.

However I hope the dealer steps up and does the right thing without the need for formal action.

Bad Dog

Kerr

Reaction score
That's a nice offer Bad Dog.

It's a common theme that dealers do nothing and hope you go away. They really don't care about their legal responsibilities.

I had a massive fight with Arnold Shark when my brand new Mercedes A45 AMG turned up damaged. They did everything to stop me rejecting it.

If you have finance contact the finance company. If you've paid cash I hope you've paid a deposit by credit card. You only have to pay a small amount by credit card and they become responsible.

Elspur87

Reaction score
Hi everyone

thanks very much for all your helpful replies! My boss at work was kind enough to refer me to his ferrari garage to have it looked over, which was very generous. The fan issue seemed to sort itself halfway there although the engine light stayed on.

they did notice that there seemed to be a pump or something running after the car was turned off which was not normal but the engine diagnostic showed no issues. They also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of pressure in the system and air which they sorted. Now seems to be running ok.

Dealership have been just useless. they have completed stopped taking my calls and anyone else close to me who tries to call on my behalf which is very frustrating. I still have half a mind to go after them, especially considering there should still be a warranty which id like to have.

will also be looking to get an OBD2 reader just for peace of mind moving forward and have taken out breakdown cover ahead of a long drive next weekend so fingers crossed it behaves.

coldel

Reaction score
Good luck, yes appreciate the frustration, many of us have been there! Well done for having a look yourself but do be wary of driving it about, if it gets more damage the garage could call you out for driving it with an engine light on. (assuming you are driving it rather than getting it transported) Just be very careful.