What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New owner car smells

Annette Crocker

Reaction score
I have at last managed to get an RCZ but it has a terrible acrid smell whilst driving it. Actually makes me feel unwell any thoughts please. Drives nice.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Without smelling it, it could be difficult just based on "acrid" Does it do it any time? Or only once hot?
Maybe oil on the exhaust?

coldel

Reaction score
Long shot but leaky exhaust and fumes getting into the cabin?

coldel

Reaction score
I have had exactly that, even a slight fainting sensation once when I stood for too long behind a car at an MoT station. Check for leaks in the exhaust, a quick and dirty way to check is get a mate to hold a towel in the exhaust exits to block them, this will force the exhaust gases to any cracks, if there are none the engine will slow and splutter.

Marmite

Reaction score
Have a look round the engine bay an check to see if all the pipes are connected properly , if it’s a petrol make sure the spark plugs are tight as I had mine serviced an one was not an it ran ok but kept getting fumes in the cabin

MagnaSteyr

Reaction score
Hello Annette,
Our noses are an important life safety feature and we must trust them ... if the smell is as you say a "terrible acid smell" I wouldn't be hypothesising ... take it straight to a trusted service centre and solve the issue ... your safety is far more important ... acidic smells are a definite warning sign that something isn't right !!!

coldel

Reaction score
Agree above - dont keep driving it till you sort it out, there should be no smells like that in the car and you shouldnt be getting headaches driving it.