What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New member after some feedback

DAF

Reaction score
Hello all, I have spent a while looking through this forum and you all seem an incredibly helpful bunch so wondered if I could get an opinion or two? I've always loved the RCZ and now, in my dotage, I've decided if I don't own one now, I never will.

So, I'm looking at buying a 2013 RCZ Magnetic, full-service history (mostly serviced at a main Peugeot dealer), 117k miles on the clock, and looks in lovely condition. Two previous owners. The current used car dealer wants £7k but can't tell me if the timing chain has been changed. It sounds OK when it starts and the (very short) test drive went smoothly.

So my question is: does the chain HAVE to be changed on these cars (have read about making sure oil is always changed/looked after) and if so, at what stage? I'm guessing 117k miles is OK for these engines if they've been well looked after, but would really value your opinion(s).

RCZ.jpg

Thank you!

Pedro

Reaction score
The tensioner is one part of the problem but regular oil service is the lifeblood of these engines without it they die a long slow death with rattles

Last edited:
Reactions: DAF

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Hi, from my experience the timing chain would probably have been done at that mileage, as you say it’s got a full service history but if there isn’t a receipt for the chain I would factor in about £750 for the chain if/when the time comes, if everything else is a positive, could be a good buy.
As you have asked for our opinions, here goes, perhaps your £7k might get a lower mileage example but I appreciate the Magnetic is a rare edition, good luck!

DAF

Reaction score
Hi, from my experience the timing chain would probably have been done at that mileage, as you say it’s got a full service history but if there isn’t a receipt for the chain I would factor in about £750 for the chain if/when the time comes, if everything else is a positive, could be a good buy.
As you have asked for our opinions, here goes, perhaps your £7k might get a lower mileage example but I appreciate the Magnetic is a rare edition, good luck!
Thank you Charlie, the more opinions the better which is why I'm here's. Yes, I do like the Magnetic. Assume there would be some warning as and when the timing chain nears the end of it's life? Or could it suddenly go bang?

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Hi Daf, usually a chain that has worn will stretch slightly the timing will be out and throw up the engine management light, the plastic chain guides can break and the chain will rattle. If the Car you are looking at is quiet on cold start up and runs well all good. You could always go back for a good 30 minute test drive!

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you thought of a Hdi and more of a bullet proof engine and are in magnetic too.
I might be bios as both mine and the wife's RCZs are diesel 2ltr Hdi gt...
Happy hunting

DAF

Reaction score
Have you thought of a Hdi and more of a bullet proof engine and are in magnetic too.
I might be bios as both mine and the wife's RCZs are diesel 2ltr Hdi gt...
Happy hunting
Thanks Verminator - Ibut 'm South London so the dreaded ULEZ means a diesel is a no go for me.

DAF

Reaction score
Hi Daf, usually a chain that has worn will stretch slightly the timing will be out and throw up the engine management light, the plastic chain guides can break and the chain will rattle. If the Car you are looking at is quiet on cold start up and runs well all good. You could always go back for a good 30 minute test drive!
Yes indeed, going tomorrow

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Appreciate that the magnetic is a limited edition and particularly lovely to look at, but £7k seems quite a lot for a car with that kind of mileage. I got my RCZ 200 last March for £8,500 with only 25,600 on the clock (albeit I actually now think the dealer may have mistaken it for a 156 when pricing it).

Obviously just my opinion, but personally I think I'd try to get that price down a little or pick up another model with lower miles on the clock.

DAF

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. Took my mechanic type mate along to see it today, he ran diagnostics on it. All good. Seems a very well-kept car, with immaculate paintwork, he thinks it's been garaged most of its life. New brakes and rear tyres too....so...I bit the bullet and bought it for a few hundred quid off.

So, welcome to the club I guess! Thanks again for all feedback.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant, welcome to the club! There are so few good looked after cars about and if your happy that’s all that matters good idea to scan for fault codes too sounds like it’s been well looked after so mileage should be fine don’t get paranoid about the timing chain if it sounds sweet just enjoy and follow the advice that most in here will tell you about oil and service intervals.
It’s not uncommon for timing kits to have been replaced under warranty and it’s not been recorded, obviously PSA didn’t want to admit they got It wrong with the design.
Post us some more photos and maybe get along to a meet or two

DAF

Reaction score
Thanks Neil - never been to a car meet in my life but that could soon change 😁

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, hope the car brings you as much joy as it has to me this past year!

I'd love to get along to a car meet, but they're all so far away from me in Scotland :(

rikzx

Reaction score
Hello all, I have spent a while looking through this forum and you all seem an incredibly helpful bunch so wondered if I could get an opinion or two? I've always loved the RCZ and now, in my dotage, I've decided if I don't own one now, I never will.

So, I'm looking at buying a 2013 RCZ Magnetic, full-service history (mostly serviced at a main Peugeot dealer), 117k miles on the clock, and looks in lovely condition. Two previous owners. The current used car dealer wants £7k but can't tell me if the timing chain has been changed. It sounds OK when it starts and the (very short) test drive went smoothly.

So my question is: does the chain HAVE to be changed on these cars (have read about making sure oil is always changed/looked after) and if so, at what stage? I'm guessing 117k miles is OK for these engines if they've been well looked after, but would really value your opinion(s).

View attachment 13700

Thank you!

View attachment 13700

Thank you!

rikzx

Reaction score
Timing chains are always the best option as at least they do warn in advance if need replacing but not in all cases though!, much better than the belt that gives no warnings and causes heartache!!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Neil - never been to a car meet in my life but that could soon change 😁
We’ve got the Sports cars in the Park meet at Newby Hall Ripon North Yorkshire on Sunday the 7th May if you’re interested?
I were the same as you, had never been to a car meet then bought the RCZ went along to a Yorkshire meet and never looked back! Not the burnouts in Asda car park type of meet just like minded owners sharing they’re love and knowledge of the RCZ, we now have a great core of people that regularly attend these meets and we’re just like one big family that’s growing bigger every year FBF881E6-1430-4CF2-B482-10DBD8982205.jpeg79C87875-F996-479D-98B5-BE95D2A723D1.jpeg698B449B-5D1C-4637-8EE7-3745AC76762B.jpeg3DCA2236-3D79-4090-A1D6-0625AF464D31.jpeg39184E84-80BA-44D5-942B-3D5D0070CCFF.jpeg39184E84-80BA-44D5-942B-3D5D0070CCFF.jpeg3E569F2E-1475-4AF7-8FBC-014762326A21.jpeg2648D740-733B-4421-9DBA-D5911F6A758B.jpegFAEFA637-0FBA-420D-9794-DBF174F65D7D.jpeg5BEC4544-3258-4E43-914B-2952765D91EA.jpeg

DAF

Reaction score
We’ve got the Sports cars in the Park meet at Newby Hall Ripon North Yorkshire on Sunday the 7th May if you’re interested?
I were the same as you, had never been to a car meet then bought the RCZ went along to a Yorkshire meet and never looked back! Not the burnouts in Asda car park type of meet just like minded owners sharing they’re love and knowledge of the RCZ, we now have a great core of people that regularly attend these meets and we’re just like one big family that’s growing bigger every year View attachment 13755View attachment 13756View attachment 13757View attachment 13758View attachment 13759View attachment 13759View attachment 13760View attachment 13761View attachment 13762View attachment 13763
Ah, thanks Neil! I'm overseas that week but will definitely try to get to one in the future. Hope all goes well, looks like fun!

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well there's always of our big get together at pug fest at Prescot hill climb last year 27 RCZs was there from all around UK.. Looking forward to seeing face's new and old for our big bacon sandwich give away... From our lovely Pit Stop Girls... So all come along for a fun day out...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co