What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Nav display stops working?

A

Anonymous

Hi All, fairly new to the forum and to my RCZ. I've had the car for a week today and loved it but twice now I've started the car the nav pops up but the screen is blank. I can still hear music and control the volume etc but no display. I tried switching of the car and starting again but still the same. I then leave the car a while and start again and all is fine? Anyone else suffered this or know about the issue?

Thanks in anticipation.

A

Anonymous

There have been a few issues reported of late with the pop up head unit. The problem seems to be with trapped wiring getting pinched and causing intermittent faults. If you do a search on here you can read about them, but really you need to be taking to Peugeot if your car is still under warranty. If not then it's possibly a very expensive repair bill. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
There have been a few issues reported of late with the pop up head unit. The problem seems to be with trapped wiring getting pinched and causing intermittent faults. If you do a search on here you can read about them, but really you need to be taking to Peugeot if your car is still under warranty. If not then it's possibly a very expensive repair bill. :thumbdown:

Thanks OO58RON will give them a bell. I was thinking it was me pressing something. I looked on the forum but didn't spot anything. Any idea where incase I need to show the dealer?

A

Anonymous

PaulE said:
OO58RON said:

Thanks OO58RON will give them a bell. I was thinking it was me pressing something. I looked on the forum but didn't spot anything. Any idea where incase I need to show the dealer?

This is one of the threads on faulty screens http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 2A#p101587 or this one http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 994#p95994

A

Anonymous

Cheers again for that. Just emailed dealer a shit O gram as he never replied to my last email about the wheels not being balanced and one is buckled according to the tyre people who tried to balance them for me as dealer wanted me to drive 200 mike round trip for them to do it.

A

Anonymous

As Ron has already said, plenty of write ups about this problem.

I've had my screen changed after numerous attempts by the dealer to sort the problem out.
It was explained to me from the very start that the problem is actually the mechanism that switch's the screen on as it rise's, and not the actual wiring, but dealers have to go through a set of "fix's" laid down by Peugeot before they can change the whole unit.
Theres a sort of rotating switch that makes contact as the screen comes up, this switch can wear with time or as in some cases just decide not to work at all.

Replacing or re-routing the wiring involes removing the unit, which in turn disturbs the switch into working again, this is why some owners tend to believe the problem is the wiring because the unit starts to work again after the wiring has been worked on, but it was probably the unit being removed and put back in, disturbing the switch that got the unit working again.
This is why the wiring fix tends to not last long, but if Peugeot can get just one unit to spark back into life by just removing it and replacing a bit of cable that costs pennies, it means they've saved over £2000 by not having to replace a complete new unit, hence why theres a lot of faffing about getting a complete unit changed under warranty.

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem, but in my case I'm pretty sure that the cable IS the problem.

Disassembling the screen from the dashboard and moving the cable at the reverse curve after the output of the screen, it works / works not, and flickers the screen with a lot of colour bands. Moving the cable length solved partially the problem, but i do want a permanent fix for it.

By the way, my RCZ is out of warranty, and I'm a skilled electronic hobbyist (soldering station etc), so i want to repari by my own, also because of the poor technical competence of the local PUG dealer.

My question is that I'm not able to find the cable as a spare part in ebay or somewhere else, is there somebody aware of where to find it out ?

many thanks to all, in case I'll be successfully I'll document the repair for the forum.

regards

Gyxx

hanswuk

Reaction score
Gyxx, I've looked at the Peugeot parts list and it looks like the cabling to the SatNav unit is part of the fascia panel wiring harness which is not good news as it means it isn't available as a separate part. Can someone check me on this? If I'm right I guess you'd have to do an 'unofficial' repair to that part of the harness.

A

Anonymous

The cable was replaced by itself as part of the many "fix's" my screen went through, but in the end it had a complete new system.
The service manager said right from the start that the only way to solve the flickering or blank screen was to replace the whole unit, but Puegeot insist on doing these small trial & error fix's first :roll:

One of the very first fix's did involve making the hole bigger where the cable comes through into the back of the unit, apparantly Peugeot thought some cables might be "pinching" as the screen raises, but this fix lasted about a month.
Again the service guy said this was because whilst doing the fix they disturb the whole unit, therefor sort of unsettling this mechanical switch that turns on/off the screen, hence it starts working ok for a while.

A

Anonymous

I know it might not be ideal but if you managed to get it working again would it not be possible to eliminate the raising up function and have it permanently up so that the wiring would not fall foul again?

A

Anonymous

Similarly, my multi display screen has an intermittent fault and on the strength of all the posts regarding this issue I removed mine from the dashboard today. I too was convinced it was a cabling issue so where the cable enters the unit on the drivers side of the screen ( it seems to do a tight loop which becomes quite taught) I cut the outer protective plastic on the cable to find two of the wires, which resemble a telephone cable, completely severed. This would explain the intermittent fault and flickering display. The problem now arises as how to progress to a solution as I can't think it is going to be as simple as replacing this small length of cable. I will approach our local dealer this week to get Peugeot's view on it but if the cable is able to be purchased, if may be worthwhile seeking out a local auto electrician whose rates are possibly a little less expensive. If anyone has sourced one of these cables I should be grateful if the supplier name could be posted on this site. Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday.

A

Anonymous

It seems the problem with the multi-display screen and the eventual remedy varies from one instance to another. Whilst I accept that the screen could conceivably fail it would appear that most of the faults could be as a result of the cabling and in particular the LVDS cable linking the unit to the back of the radio. Now here is the rub, my local dealer has told me that the cable is part of the screen and cannot be fitted or bought separately. Ironically they showed me a unit that had been replaced under warranty with the cabling intact. I immediately asked what was to be done with the unit as the cable, to all intent and purposes looked fine, and apparently on the the say so of Peugeot it would be 'binned' I immediately offered to buy the unit but, at the moment, they are not in a position to sell it although there is a slim chance it may become available.
If anyone has succeeded in having the cable changed I should be extremely grateful if they could let me know via this forum as I would then pursue a positive result with that in mind. As previously mentioned, the cost of the cable should be insignificant compared the amount necessary to replace the whole screen. Having dis-assembled the unit as far as the LVDS cable, I must admit it does look like the cable disappears into the unit making it extremely difficult for the amateur to disconnect it. Any comments gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

hanswuk said:
Gyxx, I've looked at the Peugeot parts list and it looks like the cabling to the SatNav unit is part of the fascia panel wiring harness which is not good news as it means it isn't available as a separate part. Can someone check me on this? If I'm right I guess you'd have to do an 'unofficial' repair to that part of the harness.
Not a good news indeed ..... so I hope to unrestand how was it made and try to fix or replace .... does somebody know where / how to disassemble the lower part in order to remove the screen from the car ?

Geppi111 said:
Similarly, my multi display screen has an intermittent fault and on the strength of all the posts regarding this issue I removed mine from the dashboard today. I too was convinced it was a cabling issue so where the cable enters the unit on the drivers side of the screen ( it seems to do a tight loop which becomes quite taught) I cut the outer protective plastic on the cable to find two of the wires, which resemble a telephone cable, completely severed. This would explain the intermittent fault and flickering display. The problem now arises as how to progress to a solution as I can't think it is going to be as simple as replacing this small length of cable. I will approach our local dealer this week to get Peugeot's view on it but if the cable is able to be purchased, if may be worthwhile seeking out a local auto electrician whose rates are possibly a little less expensive. If anyone has sourced one of these cables I should be grateful if the supplier name could be posted on this site. Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday.
Dear Geppy,

can you post a photo of the "opened" cable ?

Maybe we can find out what kind of s..it is made of and think about replacement / fitting another one.

From your description it seems to me that is like a class 5 network cable or some sort of it, in that case maybe we can adapt some comemrcial network solutions .....

I'm near to be a guinea pig for that .....

cheers

Gyxx

A

Anonymous

Hi Gyxx,

I have temporarily replaced the unit for the moment, but when I have chance I will take a pic. In the meantime I will attempt a description.
The cable comprises about 6 or 8 wires similar to telephone wires and is covered by a coaxial/mesh sheath similar to that in a TV aerial cable. Two of the wires in my unit were severed.
I have attempted a quick fix but the break is so near the screen itself it is difficult to make an effective connection. I am not sure how the cable is terminated at the screen but previous posts seem to suggest that the cable can be removed from this end. The other end is more simple once the radio unit is removed.
I have contacted Peugeot to find out if a cable can be purchased but am still awaiting a reply. Also, I do feel that the exorbitant price of curing this fault which is prohibitive, should warrant a contribution from Peugeot as the system really is not 'fit for purpose' and should last longer than a few years.- I have also suggested this to the customer care team.
You are obviously more familiar than I am with this type of cabling and I really am not sure of the best way to join the outer sheath together. Hope this is of some use.

A

Anonymous

Geppi111 said:
Hi Gyxx,

I have temporarily replaced the unit for the moment, but when I have chance I will take a pic. In the meantime I will attempt a description.
The cable comprises about 6 or 8 wires similar to telephone wires and is covered by a coaxial/mesh sheath similar to that in a TV aerial cable. Two of the wires in my unit were severed.
I have attempted a quick fix but the break is so near the screen itself it is difficult to make an effective connection. I am not sure how the cable is terminated at the screen but previous posts seem to suggest that the cable can be removed from this end. The other end is more simple once the radio unit is removed.
I have contacted Peugeot to find out if a cable can be purchased but am still awaiting a reply. Also, I do feel that the exorbitant price of curing this fault which is prohibitive, should warrant a contribution from Peugeot as the system really is not 'fit for purpose' and should last longer than a few years.- I have also suggested this to the customer care team.
You are obviously more familiar than I am with this type of cabling and I really am not sure of the best way to join the outer sheath together. Hope this is of some use.

Dear Geppi111,

from your description seem a shielded twisted pair UTP network cable like a normal cat 5e / cat 6 cable.

See below if it does fit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pa ... cable3.jpg

If it is so, it would explain pretty easily why the signal does degradate with prolonged bending, and the fix can be also not so much expensive, cable itself is less than 1 eur per meter and there are kit for fixing broken wires that can be adapted.

Please let me know if this is the case.

Ciao

Gyxx

A

Anonymous

Hi Gyxx,

Looking at the photos, the cable does resemble a Cat5e/6 shielded cable. The problem is the break in my cable is so close to the screen that I haven't got enough cable to join the two ends together. I will have to try and disconnect the cable from the screen itself but that all looks a little tricky. I hope the cable in your unit is easier to fix than mine. I have looked at the internet to see how to join two Cat 5e's together. Is the outer sheath purely a screen and has that got to be joined as well?

A

Anonymous

Geppi111 said:
Hi Gyxx,

Looking at the photos, the cable does resemble a Cat5e/6 shielded cable. The problem is the break in my cable is so close to the screen that I haven't got enough cable to join the two ends together. I will have to try and disconnect the cable from the screen itself but that all looks a little tricky. I hope the cable in your unit is easier to fix than mine. I have looked at the internet to see how to join two Cat 5e's together. Is the outer sheath purely a screen and has that got to be joined as well?

In theory, you should join each wire, included the outer sheath screen, else there's no shielding effect ..... but if in trouble you can utilize any mechanical trick to do it ... thermo retracable tubing can usually help also .... post some photo and we'll give some idea on how to do it ....

ciao

A

Anonymous

Just received this email from Peugeot, it's extremely polite but it looks as if we are are on our own regarding this issue.

"Thank you for your email received on 1 September.

I was sorry to learn of the issue you have reported with your RCZ regarding the screen flickering and can understand the frustration this may have caused you.

I have spoken with the Service Department at your local dealer, who have confirmed that they have not seen the vehicle for the issue you have reported. Until a Peugeot dealership has investigated the issue it is hard to comment on why it has happened.

With regards to the LVDS cable, I can confirm that this is manufactured as a whole unit and cannot be supplied on its own. As the warranty on your vehicle as now expired Peugeot would be unable to assist with any costs.

I am sorry I cannot be of any further assistance. Thank you for taking the time to write to Peugeot Customer Relations."

A

Anonymous

Hiya just wanted to pass on some information regarding RCZ sat nav screen flickering/not working.

I run a 2012 HDI gt sport fully spec'd, about 1 month after warranty ran out I noticed my sat nav display doing some strange things firstly I would get occasional green flecks appearing where display would normally be white, then when opening the screen on start-up display would flash, this gradually got worse over a couple of weeks to the point where pot holes would cause the screen to go blank, closing and re-opening would re activate the display,
I contacted my dealer whom sold me the car, (Peugeot main dealer) who said as the car was out of warranty they weren’t obliged to fix it free of charge, but would possibly replace it as a token gesture at a 50% reduction, but I would have to pay 85 quid to have it diagnosed first then wait for Peugeot to decide. Considering the replacement unit is about £1800 I wasn’t t happy.
so I read a couple of posts on the problem and decided to look at the wiring to the display myself, when the display unit was removed there was no signs of damage, however when performing the wire wiggle test the display went ape shit.
Bingo, on the right hand side of the unit there's a grey wire which connects the display to the stereo unit this has a small cable tie holding it in place this cable tight is very tight thus restricting the cable from moving when the screen goes up and down causing the wires inside to stretch and snap over time.
I took the car to a local motor electronics place I know and showed them the issue with the screen in situ but not fasten down.
He agreed with my prognosis and I lelt the display unit with them.
1 day and 35 quid and the unit is back working perfectly.
I’m in Leeds west Yorkshire the guy’s that sorted my display are in Bradford, they were very interested to see this issue as they hadn’t seen it before, but did say early 3 series bemers suffered a similar fault.
Pisses me of that I can have it fixed for 35 quid but Peugeot just wanna replace the whole unit and sting you for it.
The link for the guy’s that sorted mine is below.
http://www.revtronic.com/
just wanna say that apart from this issue I love my RCZ, thinking of having it re mapped later this year, wondered if anyone had gone down this route and what your thoughts are.

cheers