What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

My new BMW 440i Gran Coupe

Abzynthe

Reaction score

I'm not that great at reviews, so hopefully this isn't too boring lol.

As some of you may know. I recently purchased a brand new BMW 440i Gran coupe to replace my RCZ R and BMW 420d Gran Coupe. (We only need one car, so thought we would 'merge' the two.)

Here are some of the tech specs:
2017 BMW 440i Gran Coupe M Sport auto Stats:

Price: £44,495
Engine size: 2998cc twin scroll turbo petrol
Transmission: 8-speed ZF automatic
Power: 322bhp
Torque: 332lb ft
0-62mph: 5.1sec
Top speed: 155mph
Fuel economy (official combined): 41.5mpg
CO2: 159g/km

This car comes quite well equipped as standard, but misses a lot of things that some cars come with as standard. The BMW does not support speed camera locations, and Speed Limit information is an optional extra.
When we went in to order the car, I managed to get a 16% discount through car wow, plus they were offering £4,500 deposit contribution. So, all in all, I got a 99% full spec car for the price of a base spec version. Below is the spec I went for.

M Sports package
BMW LA wheel double spoke styling 704M
Steering wheel heater
M Sport brakes
Sport automatic transmission
Tire pressure display
Adaptive M suspension
Variable Sport steering
Deleted, model lettering
Comfort access
Reversing camera
Delete extra external lettering
Glass roof, electrical
Sun protection glazing
Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
Interior mirror with automatic-dip
Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
Through-loading system
Sports seat
Storage compartment package
Seat heating driver/passenger
Al carbon dark acc.pearl luster chrome
Park Distance Control (PDC)
Cruise control with brake function
Adaptive LED headlight
Light package
LED Fog lights
High-beam assistant
Lane-change warning
Driving Assistant
Surround View
Park Assistent
Navigation system Professional
Head-up display
DAB tuner
Harman/Kardon Surround Sound system
Connected Drive Services
Real-Time Traffic Information
Remote Services
Online Entertainment
Phoning with wireless charging
WLAN Hotspot
M leather steering wheel
M Aerodynamics package
High gloss shadow line
Headlining anthracite
Road sign detection

For the power and gearbox. I am in love! the engine is so smooth compared to all of the 4 cylinder engined cars I have owned. The gearbox is seemless, but can also give you that satisfying jerk in manual mode under acceleration. I love using the flappy paddles, makes me feel like an F1 driver :lol:
I took the car on a rolling road, and although it only had 800 miles on the clock, it was producing 337bhp, which is 15bhp over the quoted figure. Once the engine loosens up a bit, it should produce even more than that.

As for fuel, this engine is both really thirsty, and economical lol. Under spirited driving, it can average anything between 8-17 mpg. Under normal town driving, it will return about 22-23mpg and on the motorway it returns 38-40 mpg. My overall average is about 25ish.

After a week of ownership. Someone decided they didnt want to respect my property, so opened their car door onto mine. And it wasnt a love tap! as you can see from the pic below. No details were left, so I had to pay out £350 to get that fixed :(

Overall, this is a great car! It is the first high performance of the B series engines. Feel free to look up the B58 for some light reading.

My plans for the future involve getting the M Performance kit for it, so that the looks match the grunt, and also a power and sound kit, so it also has the sound lol.

Im not really sure what else to say, so if you have any questions, feel free to post :)

You can see some more pics on my instagram

I also have a few videos on youtube.

renegade79

Reaction score
questions questions questions... here goes :eusa-whistle:

Is that a camera I see beside the near side front wheelarch?
Whats the harmon kardon sound system like?
any ideas why the bhp figure is higher than specified?
whats a power and sound kit??

I have to say its a gorgeous looking machine. Best of luck with it. :beer:
shame about the car park dent. these things happen I suppose.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
questions questions questions... here goes :eusa-whistle:

Is that a camera I see beside the near side front wheelarch?
Whats the harmon kardon sound system like?
any ideas why the bhp figure is higher than specified?
whats a power and sound kit??

I have to say its a gorgeous looking machine. Best of luck with it. :beer:
shame about the car park dent. these things happen I suppose.

Haha. Thanks, I'll answer as best I can.

Yes, there is a camera and a parking sensor in front of the whee arch. These are part of the surround view and parking assist. The camera is mainly used so you can see round corners when you poke your nose out of a junction or parking space. The sensor is used to measure potential parking space sizes for one that the car will fit into. It will then notify me when it finds one, and it can then proceed to do the steering for me when parking in that space.

The Harman Kardon sound system is brilliant. It has the ability for you to fine tune it as you would an aftermarket sound system. I have the added benefit of knowing how to 'hack' the car so I have activated the Bang & Olufsen equalizer which makes the sound quality slightly better when tweaked. I have also activated the Rolls Royce tones for parking sensors and warnings as they are a lot less harsh on the ear. (Rolls Royce use the same hardware as BMW.)
The system has 16 speakers, so has really good surround sound for all passengers. Two of these speakers are subwoofers under the seat. They arent as punchy as a 10" in the boot, but for normal everyday listening, they are brilliant. The range is so much better than that of my RCZ.

BMWs are often known for understating their power outputs. This engine is their new high end engine that will also be in the new Toyota Supra. I think with my particular car, it may be that I have only ever run it on 99RON petrol and have installed a K&N Panel filter. Both in themselves probably doesnt give a lot extra, but together seems to be doing the trick.

The Power and Sound kit is a dealer fit option that swaps the 2.5" exhaust system with a 3.0" system to give a much louder burble, and a couple of my friends have even managed to get the exhaust to pop when downshifting. With this, the dealer also remaps the engine to take it from 326bhp to 355 bhp. But some people have had the dyno show 380bhp.

Thanks, I really do like it. Im hoping it will look even better when I'm done with it lol. I'll be taking it down the strip at Santa Pod in the summer also :D

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
happy new car Abz :thumbup: what a bummer you had some Tw*T slamed their door into your new pride and joy I just can’t believe some folk! That was not just a little tap!

Hopefully you’ll have more luck from now on. :beer:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
happy new car Abz :thumbup: what a bummer you had some Tw*T slamed their door into your new pride and joy I just can’t believe some folk! That was not just a little tap!

Hopefully you’ll have more luck from now on. :beer:

Yeah, I was fuming! I would have been no matter how long id had the car, but to have it a week and it happen, it really put me off parking it anywhere :(

Abzynthe

Reaction score
I haven’t posted for a while. I thought I’d share a recent pic of my car after some mods :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abzynthe

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
so how near to the 41mpg figure have you been getting????? :D

I’m averaging 17! :lol: But I’m also only driving on average about 17 miles a day also! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Great motor!

A buddy of mine has the old 335i, E92. The true biturbo 6pot engine by BMW. The RCZ R goes head2head up to about 140 MPH and then the beemer starts to pull slowly away. But nothing extraordinary. More like the typical motorway scenario of two lorries racing each other.

But the new version of this engine, the one you got under the bonnet, pumped up to indicated 320ish bhp and pushing north of 330bhp, is another piece of cake. No chance for me to keep up above 140 MPH.

Although beemer has soften down the ride and taken some of the driver's input away compared to previous incarnations of this car, it still delivers. A great autobahn miles eater this is :clap: :clap:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Great motor!

A buddy of mine has the old 335i, E92. The true biturbo 6pot engine by BMW. The RCZ R goes head2head up to about 140 MPH and then the beemer starts to pull slowly away. But nothing extraordinary. More like the typical motorway scenario of two lorries racing each other.

But the new version of this engine, the one you got under the bonnet, pumped up to indicated 320ish bhp and pushing north of 330bhp, is another piece of cake. No chance for me to keep up above 140 MPH.

Although beemer has soften down the ride and taken some of the driver's input away compared to previous incarnations of this car, it still delivers. A great autobahn miles eater this is :clap: :clap:

My friend had the F30 335i (think it had the same engine as the E92?) and he didnt believe me that the 0-60 time of the RCZ-R was nearly identical. The car I have has about half a second less 0-60 time to that, so like you say, probably more difficult to keep up.

All I've got to say is this engine is amazing. It has great mpg for the power, and a decent power band. Im taking it on the Strip in July so will see how good it is there lol.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Yes, that is a proper motor. I had the 340i and 440i also on the radar as replacement to my R but I cannot afford this car on the conditions I run my cars. I need to "downgrade" with my next choice to stay afloat :lol:
But I'd love to push this motor day by day over the autobahns. I'd remove the limiter to enjoy speeds above 155. It is indeed a very comfortable car to use on daily basis, both the chassis and the drivetrain.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Yes, that is a proper motor. I had the 340i and 440i also on the radar as replacement to my R but I cannot afford this car on the conditions I run my cars. I need to "downgrade" with my next choice to stay afloat :lol:
But I'd love to push this motor day by day over the autobahns. I'd remove the limiter to enjoy speeds above 155. It is indeed a very comfortable car to use on daily basis, both the chassis and the drivetrain.

I think id be terrified to go much over 100 on public roads let alone remove the limiter :lol:
I agree though, its a great car as a daily. I have adaptive suspension and variable steering aswell, so comfortable around town and tight when pushing it :)

Abzynthe

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMjVCDSfk0&t=71s[/youtube]

I wish my RCZ sounded like this back in the day haha.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds great :thumbup: I’ve got my Z to sound very similar with a custom quad exhaust :thumbup:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
Sounds great :thumbup: I’ve got my Z to sound very similar with a custom quad exhaust :thumbup:

Nice! Do you have any clips?
The R had a nice sound to it, but would have loved a few crackles lol