What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Moving from the RCZ R towards 308 GTi?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Time is running and my R is in its 4th year of chasing diesels on the autobahns. And goats in the Alps. And many other things like teaching all of our kids in the family how to drive a car.

This year is going to be a change in my daily driver garage.

I had many options on my mind, like Volvo S90 (what? how does that fit you? you like sports cars!... was all I got from my friends&family), Beemer 530e (yes, the hybrid, because we get some money from the gov.), Kia Stinger V6 biturbo (nice ride, but big and currently not easy to calculate the running costs) or the Hyundai i30 N (it is tempting, in my opinion).
Those are only few picks from a long list. Mainly I want to stick to a fast car as long as it is possible. Possible by regulations and traffic conditions. Maybe my next ride will be more electrifying. But not yet.

So, of course the facelifted 308 GTi came into my attention as well. I test drove the pre-facelift model two years ago and I liked it a lot. Quite not the same piece of cake as the RCZ R but still a very capable and fun to drive car. Excellent work done by Pug Sport.

Now I'm tempted to try out the new 308 GTi as they have fixed few annoying details with the new iCockpit system which would have put me off in the previous version.

What are you thoughts? :greetings-wavingblue:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I can see the very obvious attraction, and I know that I will upset some people, but to me, it is another “hot hatch” all be it a very nice one.

The thing that first attracted me to the RCZ was its looks. I was then very pleasantly surprised by the performance.

I am not particularly attracted to the GTI, although I know that the performance would be everything I wanted.

I have no idea what my next car will be, I honestly just can’t find anything that I like anywhere near as much as my Z. I realise that there will come a time - like you, that I will have to find something. I have already kept my Z longer than I expected to when I bought it, but for now, it’s going nowhere, and my dilemma is put on hold.

renegade79

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Hi guys,

Time is running and my R is in its 4th year of chasing diesels on the autobahns. And goats in the Alps. And many other things like teaching all of our kids in the family how to drive a car.:
:lol:

RCZ-R said:
What are you thoughts? :greetings-wavingblue:

As a 308 GTi owner I will give you my biased opinion :D The GTi is basically an R with more doors. You get all the practicality of a hatchback and all with 270bhp.
The i30N is a marvellous achievement for Hyundai but Peugeot have a lot more pedigree when It comes to performance cars and rallying.

The Kia stinger will be worth about €5 after 3 years of ownership. Nice looking machine though.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
My wife has one and they're awesome cars. Performance would be similar to your RCZ-R, but more practical with the usable rear seats!

If you don't need the practicality though, there isn't much around that competes with the RCZ for looks vs performance. I think the 308 is a fantastic looking hatch, but it is a hatch, not a two door coupe. The Alpine A110 looks awesome, but it's in a different price bracket. Similary a second hand Alfa 4C might be similar priced by now, but they're not a great drivers car. Depending on how hardcore you want to go a second hand supercharged Elise would be a heap of fun!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I can see the very obvious attraction, and I know that I will upset some people, but to me, it is another “hot hatch” all be it a very nice one.

The thing that first attracted me to the RCZ was its looks. I was then very pleasantly surprised by the performance.

I am not particularly attracted to the GTI, although I know that the performance would be everything I wanted.

I have no idea what my next car will be, I honestly just can’t find anything that I like anywhere near as much as my Z. I realise that there will come a time - like you, that I will have to find something. I have already kept my Z longer than I expected to when I bought it, but for now, it’s going nowhere, and my dilemma is put on hold.

That is the issue. There is nothing on the market which could replace the RCZ. I mean, the same price range, visual appeal, performance, exclusivity. Nothing.
My R is my daily driver. Therefore it has to be somehow "practical". I cannot use a racing car every day. I'd like to though, haha. But sometimes you need to pick up things, people, do over 500 miles in a day, listen to music, etc.

The RCZ R is for me the perfect combination of performance and usability.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
As a 308 GTi owner I will give you my biased opinion :D The GTi is basically an R with more doors. You get all the practicality of a hatchback and all with 270bhp.
The i30N is a marvellous achievement for Hyundai but Peugeot have a lot more pedigree when It comes to performance cars and rallying.

The Kia stinger will be worth about €5 after 3 years of ownership. Nice looking machine though.

I find the 308 GTi appealing. But it lacks in some areas where the RCZ excels. For example the top speed stability is much better in the RCZ. I have been test driving the 308 GTi up to 140 MPH and it is a bit nervous up there. Nothing to worry about but it doesn't give you that soothing sensation of a planted car like the R gives you. Criticism at a very high level, I know.
I will be test driving the facelifted model soon so I'll be able to comment on that. Back then the test car had way too much pressure in those PSS tyres which significantly affected the ride quality. This time first move is to release pressure from tyres down to about 31 PSI.

As you have moved from RCZ to the GTi what are your impressions since then?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
SilverGTi_6 said:
My wife has one and they're awesome cars. Performance would be similar to your RCZ-R, but more practical with the usable rear seats!

If you don't need the practicality though, there isn't much around that competes with the RCZ for looks vs performance. I think the 308 is a fantastic looking hatch, but it is a hatch, not a two door coupe. The Alpine A110 looks awesome, but it's in a different price bracket. Similary a second hand Alfa 4C might be similar priced by now, but they're not a great drivers car. Depending on how hardcore you want to go a second hand supercharged Elise would be a heap of fun!

Yes, more practicality, indeed. When I think about the kids, they still love to ride in the RCZ (they are up to 11 years old). But a 4door car would make things easier.

You picked here some cars which were or still are on my list. That new A110. I still regret not having put my name on the pre order list back then. Now I will wait for the "new" version which should arrive around summer. Maybe this car will become my personal escape.

Alfa is a bitch over here in Germany. I mean, the dealers don't give a damn about sales. I have put my name twice for a test drive for the 4C and now for the new Giulia. But no one ever bother at Alfa to call me back or arrange a drive. I don't think my appearance has put them off if even Ferrari was so kind to offer me a test ride (which I didn't take cause I don't want sleepless nights afterwards).

A Lotus would be a lovely addition to the garage but currently it is a no go. Too extreme and a weak dealers network over here. My neighbor had a new Exige so he was able to tell me some stories first hand.
Lovely, lovely cars but here in Germany, in the so-called "driver's nation" (I have to ROFL each time I hear people say it) sports cars have a hard time. Both financially and socially. The only sport car accepted here is the 911. If you have one you can drive like a di.. and people will applause. Do the same in a RCZ, they lynch you. That is Germany.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
ONLY AEK said:
just go and test drive the new megane rs

I hate the interior on the new Renaults. This cheap iPad-like screen with all the touch buttons drive me mad. I tried one and I gave it back. Quickly.

BTW: I had a Megane Sport before and I loved that car. Driving sensation per excellence for this money!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I came from the Megan CC to the RCZ, and I have to say I loved the car, all except for the performance. The engine was very underpowered and the car was very heavy with the all glass folding roof system.

The drive was very good, a lot softer than the Z and we did in fact end up keeping it a lot longer than normal from new.

It did end up costing me quite a lot over the years in garage bills.

I do quite like the newest incarnation of the Megane, the RS Red-bull in particular is a good looking car, for a hot hatch, but I doubt that I will be tempted down that line.

renegade79

Reaction score
Well I went from the diesel RCZ to the 208 GTi. I loved my RCZ. It was a heavy car with that HDi lump so at high speed it felt very planted. I bought this car because I was commuting long distances and I needed a diesel. the engine was bullet proof but It kinda left me wanting a bit more power so I changed over to the 208 GTi and that was a lot of fun and fast too.
then the dealer got the 308GTi in and he gave me two test drives in it and I had to have it. the first time I drove it I could really feel that LSD working away underneath. there is plenty of power and it feels solid under acceleration and I would have confidence to push it hard if we had un-restricted motorways here.
when you press the sport button there is a nice growl coming through the speakers but if you just want a relaxed drive to the shops then you can drive in normal mode and there is no shouting exhaust or growling engine making your ears bleed.
honestly its the best car I've ever owned and driven. its not as stunning as the RCZ but I need a bit more practicality as I will become a daddy in June and I will need more room!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Yes, the previous generation of Megane Sport is a cracking car. It just feels soo good when you drive them. Just within few meters of driving you sense this serious nature of this car. No BS, just pure driving fun. I love them.

But if aiming at a Megane RS then I can stay with the 308 GTi. What I like about the 308 is its oversteer tendency. The RCZ R does that too but not to this extent. In the R you have to provoke it before the rear starts to slide. In the 308 it is a matter of "considering it" and it get done by the car. So much fun.

I'm pretty sure the new Megane RS will be a master piece. But again, I cannot find peace while sitting in the cabin. It just makes my eyes bleed.

renegade79

Reaction score
I would suggest taking another GTi for a spin as you might have a different experience than from your first drive!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
I would suggest taking another GTi for a spin as you might have a different experience than from your first drive!

Another test drive is in planning. Waiting for the demo car to arrive.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
The demo 308 is available and I will take it for a ride coming week. Let's see what the facelift has done to this great car.

The stance is great with the updated front. But I'm spoiled by the sleek, low side line of my RCZ so I'd like the 308 GTi to drop another 10-20 mm.

renegade79

Reaction score
I like the new front grille but there's probably little in the way of mechanical upgrades (e.g engine etc) but I think the touchscreen gets an upgrade so it can now support apple airplay. I have my GTi now nearly 5 months and I find the touchscreen okay to use. it is a little slow and probably not ideal having the heater controls buried away in it. Nearly every journalist who reviewed this car moaned about it - It works fine for me and I don't have any problems with it so they must be stupid!! Anyway, what do journalists know about reviewing cars... some of them couldn't write an obituary. :eusa-whistle:
check out the rubber. I presume they are still riding on Michelins 235/35/19. The R runs on Goodyear.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
I'm yet to see one in the metal, but not sold on the bumper upgrade in the pics. I think the bottom grille section makes the car look thinner. The S1 grille was quite wide and slim which gave the car a bit of width from the front. Oh well, only my opinion. I'll hold out till I see one in the metal.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
I like the new front grille but there's probably little in the way of mechanical upgrades (e.g engine etc) but I think the touchscreen gets an upgrade so it can now support apple airplay. I have my GTi now nearly 5 months and I find the touchscreen okay to use. it is a little slow and probably not ideal having the heater controls buried away in it. Nearly every journalist who reviewed this car moaned about it - It works fine for me and I don't have any problems with it so they must be stupid!! Anyway, what do journalists know about reviewing cars... some of them couldn't write an obituary. :eusa-whistle:
check out the rubber. I presume they are still riding on Michelins 235/35/19. The R runs on Goodyear.

I rarely give a dime about car reviews. If, then only from selected petrol heads where I know they see cars in a similar way as I do.

I already played a bit with the new interface. It is much faster than the old one. But the graphics on the navigation look like a cheap SVGA game from 1998. But that is due to Tom Tom. Honestly, I prefer the clear graphics of my "old" wipcom 3D. I often need to quickly zoom out or into the map while driving. So having a jog dial at my hand is the perfect solution to do that. Instantaneously. In the 308 I need to touch the nav icon, wait for the screen to change, then touch zoom "button" few times to zoom out or in and then vice versa. That is not an improvement to UI.
But I do get the "idea" behind this, or shall I say pressure to do it this way. I see this in many IT projects I cover. Often simple solutions are dropped for others only because they look nicer. It is about the look & feel, not about usability. Stupidity it is, in my opinion.
I'm not ranting here especially about the 308, I can forgive him that as I forgive my R for a too high sitting position.

Not having buttons for quick access is a big step back. But I can accommodate to that. I still will not consider it to be better than before but I also will not allow this to spoil the ride.

Can you use the screen with gloves on?

Tyres will be checked before. The car is still on summer tyres so I agree with you, it most probably will be rolling on Michelin PSS. Pressure will be released down to 30PSI.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
SilverGTi_6 said:
I'm yet to see one in the metal, but not sold on the bumper upgrade in the pics. I think the bottom grille section makes the car look thinner. The S1 grille was quite wide and slim which gave the car a bit of width from the front. Oh well, only my opinion. I'll hold out till I see one in the metal.

The stance is really good with the new front. I will try to make good pictures of it. Cannot promise as we have grayish weather over here since like months. I forgot how sky's blue looks like :thumbdown: