What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

MOT Mileage Record

thornebt

Reaction score
Sorry, not RCZ related but I'm going to look at a Fiat Panda 100HP today and I have a slight concern about the mileage. It has 51k approx on the clock but when I've checked the MOT history online it shows 56k. The seller seems a genuine sort of guy and I don't think he would clock it to take just 5k miles off - or even if it is possible to clock cars these days.

My concern is that if I buy it and take it for the next MOT will it be flagged up that the mileage is lower - assuming that I do less than 5k before then - Aug 2021. I think it is most probable that the MOT tester punched the mileage in incorrectly when he did the paperwork.

Maybe the mileage does not have much importance attached to it. I guess there will sometimes be discerepancies if speedos are replaced etc.

Or I could, of course, make sure that I do at least 5000 miles before the next MOT! (I don't do a lot of miles these days)

Cheers. Bruce.

Kerr

Reaction score
Cars are still clocked all the time. I doubt it'll be any issue on an older Fiat.

5k isn't worth wiping off, especially if the mileage is documented on the MOT test or service history.

Can the owner not explain the discrepancy?

thornebt

Reaction score
Cars are still clocked all the time. I doubt it'll be any issue on an older Fiat.

5k isn't worth wiping off, especially if the mileage is documented on the MOT test or service history.

Can the owner not explain the discrepancy?
I haven't asked the owner yet. I'm going to see the car later this afternoon. The car is 2009 model so mileage is really low whether it's 51k or 56k. Cheers. Bruce.

Jumper

Reaction score
It is still possible to do all kinds of shit with a cars mileage even now. Yes ask the owner to explain it after that it's up to you to take a chance or not. I bought a nine year old Corsa last year with 17k on it all genuine and recorded on MOT site plus the interior was like new and hpi check fine. So its rare but low milers are still out there.

Pedro

Reaction score
That mileage is now "Frozen" on the MOT record data held by VOSA but the owner had it from new they should know or have some idea why its wrong & almost all cars have to be plugged in to change the mileage as its stored in a chip in the dash