What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

MOT and side lights 156GT

ianGT156

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing basic checks ahead of my MOT which is due in two weeks.

My sidelights don't appear to work at all. When the stalk is on the single bulb setting (after auto) then no bulbs illuminate, just the DRLs. I can see very small bulbs in a housing which are the main beam bulbs. In the same housing is a big round bulb that never illuminates.

So, as far as the MOT goes, do my DRLs make the sidelights redundant? I've noticed that when I have the DRL setting ticked in vehicle parameters, the DRLs are on all the time. When that box is unticked, the DRLs only come on when just the sidelights are switched on.

I think all is well. Anybody disagree?

Ian :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
All is well, worry not :thumbup:

The bulbs are a redundant feature. When you select sidelights, the DRL’s are on dimmed. During daytime use, they are on bright. When the dipped beam comes on, the DRL’s are dimmed again.

Your car will pass it’s MOT, unless you get some numpty like I once did from a previous car who gave me a fail for a non working feature that my car didn’t even have :eusa-think: :wtf:
The decision was reversed when I spoke to his manager and pointed out the error of his ways :eusa-whistle:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
WAFFLE on conformance:
This might put your mind at rest, based on personal experience importing a vehicle into an EU country from another EU country.
All cars sold by the major manufacturers get type approval of a model and significant changes thereafter.
Once Type Approval has been granted then using a formal document for the vehicle called a EuroCoc (EU Certificate of Conformance) it can be sold and moved anywhere within the EU and be given unhindered registration.
So what has all that to do with the RCZ lights.
Well, the original and facelift RCZs will have had to obtain Type Approval, with all lighting operating and conforming to standards.
If the lights work as they came out of the factory, then Type Approval and the EuroCoC, govern anything from plod questioning the way your car is, to the MoT.
Hope that helps.
:ugeek:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
On the mk1, Sidelights and drl are a single, double filament bulb.
Maybe the 5w filament has blown in both bulbs?

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
DKZ is right the MK2 doesn’t use the sidelight bulbs even though they are there,the drl’s are the sidelights :thumbup:

ianGT156

Reaction score
Wow Chaps!! I'm overwhelmed by all the advice, and so quickly too.

Thanks, DKZ5745, stewartwillsher, RCZIain and neilgsxr69.

So my hunch that the bulbs were redundant was right. Also Iain, I had a horrible thought that both bulbs were blown or I had an impossible wiring fault to find. Mine is a MK2 by the way.

Sighs of relief,

Ian ;O)