What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Limp Mode

boatdriver

Reaction score
I was doing about 65-70mph when the engine went into limp mode. When I eventually got home, the cooling fan was still going when I stopped the engine and the top radiator hose was 'cool' to touch. Is this a thermostat problem or could it be some else.

Any advice please

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
The fans will run like that upon many faults occurring, it’s like a default to cool everything down to stop major damage chances are it’s a coil pack easy cheap fix but could also be a HP fuel pump which is a common issue but more costly to replace.
You need the codes to be read to give a reference point.

boatdriver

Reaction score
I took the coil packs out and reinserted them and reconnected the leads making sure they were properly seated and the holding clips secure.
The fault has cleared and the engine is running as it should. It could have been a loose lead on one of the coils, but I'll still get a diagnostic check done next week and just hope the HPFP codes come up.
Once again, thanks for your advice.

thornebt

Reaction score
If your temperature gauge stays at about half way then there shouldn't be a problem with the thermostat. If the fuel pump is at fault it's most likely that you will have poor running when you first start it and the engine fault message come up almost straightaway. You say that you hope that the HPFP codes come up. It's quite an expensive item to have done unless you can replace it yourself.

I had a few random fault codes come up over the years. It seems to be a thing with RCZs! My wife's car has never produced any engine faults and she's had it for years. If you want to read the codes yourself you can get a fault code reader that you plug into the OBDII socket behind the ashtray - much cheaper than paying Peugeot £100 a time.

Cheers. Bruce.

boatdriver

Reaction score
Hi Bruce, should have said 'I hope the HPFP codes DO NOT come up'. Lockdown etc and mind elsewhere.

Cheers James

ianGT156

Reaction score
Phew, I too was perplexed by that desire for a HPFP code!

I think my own HPFP might be going. Peugeot told me it was but due to all the other expensive work I had to pay for, I decided to live with it for now. Now I seem to think other owners have repaired the HPFP seals and a whole new pump isn't necessarily required? The occasional misfires I get when I drive the car are very easy to live with.