What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Leather seat sagging

Ricardogeorge72

Reaction score
Hi all I am looking for a bit of advice please. I am looking at buying a RCZ GT for a weekend car to share with my daughter, but everyone I have looked at seem to have lots of sagging in the leather seats. Is this a common fault and can it be rectified without a huge expense. Many thanks in advance.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s something that has come up recently and to be honest I haven’t really noticed but I suppose if you scrutinise then yeh it’s common but I don’t think it detracts from the car at all

Ricardogeorge72

Reaction score
It’s something that has come up recently and to be honest I haven’t really noticed but I suppose if you scrutinise then yeh it’s common but I don’t think it detracts from the car at all
Hi Neil thanks for getting back to me. I have read that dampening the leather and then applying heat can restore it but knowing my look I would burn a hole in it.
On another subject can you recommend any tyres please that don't cost the earth. Thank you

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Neil thanks for getting back to me. I have read that dampening the leather and then applying heat can restore it but knowing my look I would burn a hole in it.
On another subject can you recommend any tyres please that don't cost the earth. Thank you
Now tyres there’s a subject! When I bought my car it had Accelera tyres on which I ran for about a year and replaced with the same as I we’re really happy with them and I know at least two other owners running the same and they’re very happy with them too but recently some members have brought up tyre tests that have slated them but they’re a Y rated tyre speed tested to 186 mph so they can’t be that bad 😂 they’re about £70 a tyre but some pay up to £200 a tyre for the so called top stuff.

Logikmaster

Reaction score
Tyres as Neil suggests are varied and can be an emotive topic, but ultimately it’s an individuals own circumstances and preference that tends to dictate the choice. I am in my own opinion am someone who saves for the best tyre as it’s the contact surface between car and road thereby always buy a premium branded tyre, such as Michelin PS4 or PS4S (depending on size) or perhaps a Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport would be at the higher end of a budget if needing 4 at once. Albeit the GY Eagle are cracking tyres and can be bought for sensible money at circa 90 per tyre. The Michelin’s are right at the top of budget at circa 140 per tyre but there are suitable cost alternatives from budget at 60-70 (Chinese branded) or if you run a slighter lower profile in say 18” and a 40 profile then the costs drop a wee bit more because it’s a more common sizing as opposed to the 45 on the RCZ. Black circles or Camskills online will offer tyres by size or registration for a good comparison on what’s available and with good pricing, or if you have or know someone with a Costco card then they offer Michelin’s and Goodyear brands with offers on usually such as 80-100 off 4 or 50 on two etc. The old adage is still true - get the best you afford 👍

Ecrivain

Reaction score
I'm still shopping for a car, and I've been to look at 4 RCZ's in the last week at various dealers and all have had brands I've never heard of...
Google tells me they are all Chinese, which may or may not be an indication of quality...

I've used Cooper Tires for years on other cars, simply because they were recommended as a good mid-range option by a then-local garage, and the location (walking distance from the city shops) is convenient and I have never had problems. That said, google told me they come in at about £150 each for an RCZ... They are a big US brand (hence the spelling of tire!), but nobody I know has ever heard of them here - the UK website with stockists and a search engine for tyres/tires is here: Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Official Cooper Tires ® website

EDIT: Though I now read on Wikipedia: "in 2007, Cooper started manufacturing in eastern China with Kenda Rubber Industrial Company, a company based in Taiwan. Cooper generates 25% of its global sales in China...."

Last edited:

Ecrivain

Reaction score
All of the leather ones I've looked at have had wrinkled driver's seats, to some extent - I guess if there was an easy way to rectify it (even if it were only temporary), secondhand dealers would do it...?
The other was a Sport, with cloth seats which, while not as luxurious, and with no embossed lion, looked surprisingly sporty and attractive, I thought. (Especially for vegans, presumably... )

Logikmaster

Reaction score
All of the leather ones I've looked at have had wrinkled driver's seats, to some extent - I guess if there was an easy way to rectify it (even if it were only temporary), secondhand dealers would do it...?
The other was a Sport, with cloth seats which, while not as luxurious, and with no embossed lion, looked surprisingly sporty and attractive, I thought. (Especially for vegans, presumably... )
Leather seats in cars are like leather sofas to the same degree in that people overlook the fact that as it’s a hide and in dry (hopefully) warm environment it will dry out over time and this in turn leads to cracking/splitting and wrinkling, which to counteract and ensure it looks it’s best is to ‘feed’ it with any good quality products and also to clean the leather before doing so with just warm soapy water and a clean cloth, then once fully dry apply the leather cream/restorer product and really work it in, buff off and leave to dry off fully. Steaming is a bit of a skill and really only used to mould leather to shape it when building seats or repairing them and is usually in my experience best left to the pro’s. If leather is looked after it will give years of good performance and usually it’s the foam internals that fail first, that said some OEM’s have been using ‘man made’ leather for a number of years (Merc to name one) that does not last as long as the real McCoy. I have a sport with the fabric seats and I find them supportive and well suited to the job and having had leather interiors in the past tend to opt for fabric as they are easy to clean and don’t end being freezing in the winter and burning in the summer 👍 but that’s just my opinion & no i’m not a vegan 😂

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Leather seats in cars are like leather sofas to the same degree in that people overlook the fact that as it’s a hide and in dry (hopefully) warm environment it will dry out over time and this in turn leads to cracking/splitting and wrinkling, which to counteract and ensure it looks it’s best is to ‘feed’ it with any good quality products and also to clean the leather before doing so with just warm soapy water and a clean cloth, then once fully dry apply the leather cream/restorer product and really work it in, buff off and leave to dry off fully. Steaming is a bit of a skill and really only used to mould leather to shape it when building seats or repairing them and is usually in my experience best left to the pro’s. If leather is looked after it will give years of good performance and usually it’s the foam internals that fail first, that said some OEM’s have been using ‘man made’ leather for a number of years (Merc to name one) that does not last as long as the real McCoy. I have a sport with the fabric seats and I find them supportive and well suited to the job and having had leather interiors in the past tend to opt for fabric as they are easy to clean and don’t end being freezing in the winter and burning in the summer 👍 but that’s just my opinion & no i’m not a vegan 😂
Thanks very much for all this - I've never had leather seats, but my sister (a Motability driver with a brand new Vauxhall Mokka) just got them and your temperature comments echo hers.

I guess the heated seats in the RCZ help one part of that, though having tried it on a rather chilly test drive last week, it did seem to warm the bum without warming the rest of you - I then realised the AC was on full blast (which at least proved it worked, unlike another car I test drove).

Presumably there is no heating element in the back of the seat? (Can anyone else confirm? It may just have been not working, I suppose...)

I'll pass on your comments about caring for the leather, though my sister only has the car for 3 years, of course, so motivation may be lacking...

I'm not a vegan either - married to a veggie (well, technically, a pescatarian...) so don't eat as much meat as I used to.
Kind of agree with the vegan principles, but still like the occasional steak and and trimmings... 😂

Jumper

Reaction score
My drivers seat has two ripples in it but the passenger one is fine. I'm not sure if the constant heating and cooling of the leather by the heated seat element is the cause or just poor manufacturing. My previous cars with leather were definitely not as bad. I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near with a heat gun I'd be too worried about scorching or even burning the leather like some c,owns on YTube. I think it's a minor frailty TBH. The leather seats just look so much better than the fabric ones. They can crack but there is plenty of leather treatments on the market to refurbish them. You can also get Dye's to fill in bigger cracks.

Marmite

Reaction score
Just got my seat back after a repair should be good for another 7 years you can contact him through face book
His name is Wayne Harrison

Attachments

• E43892AB-024E-4870-B9DF-A09A801B3327.jpeg
    E43892AB-024E-4870-B9DF-A09A801B3327.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 896BD2B2-BA01-4E93-9750-8BB34D1B14D1.jpeg
    896BD2B2-BA01-4E93-9750-8BB34D1B14D1.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 7E322A35-FA94-4F45-B33A-E3391CC91573.jpeg
    7E322A35-FA94-4F45-B33A-E3391CC91573.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 25
  • A08619D3-F132-4833-AD48-424E30540E33.jpeg
    A08619D3-F132-4833-AD48-424E30540E33.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 58996F9B-F8E8-4929-8C9E-8DEE71322209.jpeg
    58996F9B-F8E8-4929-8C9E-8DEE71322209.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 25
  • 1C636DFA-68CF-4008-9F62-250458B9750A.png
    1C636DFA-68CF-4008-9F62-250458B9750A.png
    156 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Woodso

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all this - I've never had leather seats, but my sister (a Motability driver with a brand new Vauxhall Mokka) just got them and your temperature comments echo hers.

I guess the heated seats in the RCZ help one part of that, though having tried it on a rather chilly test drive last week, it did seem to warm the bum without warming the rest of you - I then realised the AC was on full blast (which at least proved it worked, unlike another car I test drove).

Presumably there is no heating element in the back of the seat? (Can anyone else confirm? It may just have been not working, I suppose...)

I'll pass on your comments about caring for the leather, though my sister only has the car for 3 years, of course, so motivation may be lacking...

I'm not a vegan either - married to a veggie (well, technically, a pescatarian...) so don't eat as much meat as I used to.
Kind of agree with the vegan principles, but still like the occasional steak and and trimmings... 😂
Yes there are heating elements in the back support, goes up about 10 -12 inches, the wife loves it sat in the passenger seat, she thinks it's like therapy.

I find that as much and as many different leather product's as I use, there is one area (rounded bit) that still is showing signs of wear and loosing it's colour.

Can anyone recommend a good light grey restorer/dye?

Ecrivain

Reaction score
By 'the rounded bit', do you mean the door side edge of the drivers bucket seat? I've seen a few both online and ones I've been to view where this is worn to a greater or lesser extent. I presume it wears quickest because people - especially bigger drivers - rub it as they get in and out.

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Just got my seat back after a repair should be good for another 7 years you can contact him through face book
His name is Wayne Harrison
Sorry I missed this earlier. Looks great. And he's based in Norwich, according the Fb page! Will keep that in mind...

Was it a whole seat restoration? Did it get rid of 'SSS' (Saggy Seat Syndrome :( )? And do you mind me asking what it cost?

Marmite

Reaction score
Never had a saggy seat it was just the padding an the stitching on the the seat back / bolster , he does it from a work shop at the back of his house in Thorpe it cost £ 120 an I’m more than happy

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Never had a saggy seat it was just the padding an the stitching on the the seat back / bolster , he does it from a work shop at the back of his house in Thorpe it cost £ 120 an I’m more than happy
Useful thanks. Sorry - misunderstood - the first pic is 'before', and the second last is 'after'?

The one I'm looking at is worse - worn leather on the drivers right hip, from getting in and out. I've sent him a pic, but I suspect it would cost a lot more to repair - presumably they'd have to unstitch and replace a whole panel... :( Dealer 'will tidy it up at the valet', so possibly (were I to buy...) it might be better when I got it....