What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Learning to drive the R

Claret63

Reaction score
Taking a driving course is not a bad idea. I did that too. It was more about safety but they put us on a skid pad too. That was a lot of fun!

The R is also very well suited for heel-to-toe driving technique. The pedals are nice levelled and throttle response is quick enough to blip that engine on downshifts. Makes a lot of sense as well as you will save the flywheel and the clutch from premature wear. When you get used to it, you just do it without even thinking. Takes a bit of practice, but pays off dividend.

I have been reading some of your back catalogues about driving the R, so interesting, especially with you racing the TTs on the autobahn.

We have a TT just an average TDI and it feels heavy, but I do prefer the driving position to the R, the R seats don’t go low enough in my opinion but that’s only a small criticism, also I do like owning both.

I am thinking of getting an RS for a daily, how do they compare to the R at real world speed? am not talking from lights, but when moving and on the twisties?

I am assuming you chose the R over the TT for a very valid reason, I want to hear more of your adventure, so interesting….

Can I also just add in the UK I feel absolutely invincible in the R on any road, I-have never felt that with any car I have owned.

Last edited:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
When you refer to the RS I assume you're talking about the TT RS.
I only have some experience in the 2nd gen TT RS, from around 2011 or 2012, I do not remember exactly the year any more. And some driving experience on the RS3 from 2019.
For me the TT always felt heavy on the front. This resulted in some understeer when attacking corners under heavy breaking and applying power before the apex. Quattro was not able to cure that behavior. The engine is quite good on those and you can push it to higher power ranges without any issues. But the whole chassis does not live up to the engine's greatness.
Driving the TT was like, step on it hard when you are on a straight, then remove speed way ahead of the corner, let it roll through the corner, wait for the exit and then apply power again.
But if you tone it down by about 50% percent, means you still maintain a higher speed then the usual sunday driver, then it works. You just should not push it really hard.

I picked the RCZ R over a TT S. The TT RS was way out of the price range. The TT S is really boring compared to the RCZ R in terms of driving thrills, the so-called connection between the driver and the car/tarmac.

All those TTs I chased over autobahns were either old V6 TTs or those TT S from second and third gens. They were not a match for the chassis setup of the RCZ R. You could see how the car wobbled over bumps and got unsettled at higher speeds. It seems to me those Audis were never built to be pushed to its limits.

The RS3 from 2019 I drove quite a bit on all types of roads, up to limited 155MPH, was the first to show some serious improvements on this understeery tendencies. You could have some fun with it in the Alps chasing a boxster. But still, far away from the lightness and playfulness of a well set up chassis, like the RCZ R. I admit, the damping was bit better on that RS3 compared to RCZ R. But then those RS seats, ahh, back pain after few hours of driving.

Marmite

Reaction score
I have been reading some of your back catalogues about driving the R, so interesting, especially with you racing the TTs on the autobahn.

We have a TT just an average TDI and it feels heavy, but I do prefer the driving position to the R, the R seats don’t go low enough in my opinion but that’s only a small criticism, also I do like owning both.

I am thinking of getting an RS for a daily, how do they compare to the R at real world speed? am not talking from lights, but when moving and on the twisties?

I am assuming you chose the R over the TT for a very valid reason, I want to hear more of your adventure, so interesting….

Can I also just add in the UK I feel absolutely invincible in the R on any road, I-have never felt that with any car I have owned.
R’s are quick like a tts but seriously won’t get a look in against a Ttrs except on a c road an some b roads in my opinion as I got left for dust by one when I had my R

Claret63

Reaction score
R’s are quick like a tts but seriously won’t get a look in against a Ttrs except on a c road an some b roads in my opinion as I got left for dust by one when I had my R

Yes obviously I know that, I was burned many times in the Monaro running 500 bhp by many R/S audi’s I think my post has been misunderstood regarding the R, I meant to say the R makes you feel good not that it’s the fastest car I’ve owned.

Marmite

Reaction score
Yes obviously I know that, I was burned many times in the Monaro running 500 bhp by many R/S audi’s I think my post has been misunderstood regarding the R, I meant to say the R makes you feel good not that it’s the fastest car I’ve owned.

sorry about that I have to agree. had a rs 4 an I still think the R was a better drive

RCZ-R

Reaction score
On a straight you stand no chance against a TT RS. They pull under 10 sec from 100-200 where a healthy RCZ R does that in about 14 sec. Not even mentioning the traffic lights stand offs.

My post was also referring to the way how the car handles on B roads.

Kerr

Reaction score
I've driven a few Audi RS models and none of them have been exciting. They are fast, but they aren't fun to drive.

Claret63

Reaction score
Recently drove the car to work for the first time, being as the weather is nice, my round trip is 100 miles per day which is why I use the diesel for work and not the R.

Its been my first chance to really stretch the car on mainly motorway miles, couple of things I noticed at lower speed throttle response is slow in my opinion, at higher speeds its fine and in my opinion the car is very brisk and nimble, I think that is where the R excels at higher speeds, I also think the engine sounds fantastic at high revs, not so at certain cruising speeds, think that maybe the exhaust rather than the engine.

Things I defiantly don't like about owning an R is having to deal with the MD, they are simply stupid don't care and don't have facility to even jack the car up without damaging it, they have no time for people with RCZs sadly, I had to drag the service manager round mine to do a pre-inspection before service, I could see him biting his lip.

I need a good indie moving forward but as I am under warranty not sure for now.

I would like to drive the R flat out one day, preferably in Germany to see what it can really do and how it really compares to other cars at real speed.

Finally I have debated whether the R is a fast car, after 12 months of ownership I think not, quick brisk and nimble it certainly is, but in my opinion it just doesn't have the engine capacity to make it a fast sports car.....

Dingers

Reaction score
I'd have to agree Claret - I've given up on my local Peugeot dealer. They're either weeks to get booked into, slow to update you on any issues/progress or downright useless at simple communication. Parts takes ages to arrive and then skin you for the 'privilege'.

For me the R is coming to the end of its time with me. I've been incredibly unlucky with this car and had to pay out over £5k in two years, just to keep it on the road. Yes, on the right road (smooth, winding & traffic-light) it can be a real pleasure to drive. But I'm done with wincing at every rut or ridge in the road, emptying my wallet every 4 or 5 months and the excitement of owning one has long since departed. I bought my dream car & it turned into a nightmare financially.

I'm not saying all this to be a party-pooper for anyone, it's simply the truth ! There's no point sugar-coating my disappointment, it's just the way it is.
I hope you guys n' gals have much more luck than I've had and get to enjoy them to the full.

So, nice car ? Yes, absolutely. But for me a poisoned chalice .....

Claret63

Reaction score
I'd have to agree Claret - I've given up on my local Peugeot dealer. They're either weeks to get booked into, slow to update you on any issues/progress or downright useless at simple communication. Parts takes ages to arrive and then skin you for the 'privilege'.

For me the R is coming to the end of its time with me. I've been incredibly unlucky with this car and had to pay out over £5k in two years, just to keep it on the road. Yes, on the right road (smooth, winding & traffic-light) it can be a real pleasure to drive. But I'm done with wincing at every rut or ridge in the road, emptying my wallet every 4 or 5 months and the excitement of owning one has long since departed. I bought my dream car & it turned into a nightmare financially.

I'm not saying all this to be a party-pooper for anyone, it's simply the truth ! There's no point sugar-coating my disappointment, it's just the way it is.
I hope you guys n' gals have much more luck than I've had and get to enjoy them to the full.

Yes have to agree, feel your pain with the spend, these cars need to be under warranty and that is not cheap, or not available to some because of the age.

The price of parts is eye watering to say the least, we have a TT also and parts are so cheap in comparison and much easier to get.

I would never even consider running one for a daily as I think they are simply not up to the job, as they are so highly tuned, much better as a garage queen sadly.

Cars that are for sale now need money spending on them, and given the asking price for the R it's simply not a good proposition for many.

I like you have spent thousands since I purchased, some of it was factored in, but I was caught out due to the extortionate prices for simple bits on the car.

I have had no engine problems but I attribute this to the tiny mileage I do and the fact mine sits in a dehumidified garage.

There are also many garages that don't want to deal with the R where I live, that is not the case with the TT.

Flanners

Reaction score

What have you had to replace on the car? What's the history of the car/mileage?

I'm used to firm cars as I have older ones...consider the R to be quite well damped really...

I have paid nothing on mine apart from servicing (just rear calipers as couldnt be arsed with a Warranty claim hassle, oh and have brand new front discs ready when needed); Warranty has covered other issues; wasn't going to bother to renew it will take car up to nearly 11yrs old) but you have changed my mind on that!

End of the day the R was a Halo bespoke model and £32K brand new and as such it is still a £32K car to maintain, like the Porkers BMWs Lotus etc

Coat of wax this morning before the sun and then out for a quick blat (gratuitious photo with old plate on her)

Attachments

• 20190516_195635.jpg
    20190516_195635.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Claret63

Reaction score
What have you had to replace on the car? What's the history of the car/mileage?

I'm used to firm cars as I have older ones...consider the R to be quite well damped really...

I have paid nothing on mine apart from servicing (just rear calipers as couldnt be arsed with a Warranty claim hassle, oh and have brand new front discs ready when needed); Warranty has covered other issues; wasn't going to bother to renew it will take car up to nearly 11yrs old) but you have changed my mind on that!

End of the day the R was a Halo bespoke model and £32K brand new and as such it is still a £32K car to maintain, like the Porkers BMWs Lotus etc

Coat of wax this morning before the sun and then out for a quick blat (gratuitious photo with old plate on her)
Car looks stunning Flanners, I think the attention to detail on R is Key, especially with the alloys and brakes.

With reference to Dingers, I have followed him on FB and he really has had to spend a lot on his car, brakes HPFP, it is a substantial list, he has listed the spend mileage etc in the RCZ R prices yesterday.