What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

It had to happen at some point. New engine required....

misterx

Reaction score
Well, after 154,000 miles my RCZ R engine has failed and I have bitten the bullet and ordered a replacement engine. It will be an exchange engine which I am told is so similar to a new one that the saving on cost is worth it. All I have to do now is look down the back of the sofa for all the money I have commited. Has to be done, there is no car so good looking and untill they put a concept car into production I am wed to my RCZ R.

Flanners

Reaction score
WOW! Cam chain went? What happened? Fair old wedge for a new lump reckon £3-4K for exchange?

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
According to the Peugeot service Data the chain can last for up to 100.000 miles assuming that the Engine is serviced correctly & the correct oil & fuel were used throughout its lifespan so if that's the original Engine components they have surpassed their expiry date by another 54.000 mls ! 👏👌:)

Marmite

Reaction score
Well, after 154,000 miles my RCZ R engine has failed and I have bitten the bullet and ordered a replacement engine. It will be an exchange engine which I am told is so similar to a new one that the saving on cost is worth it. All I have to do now is look down the back of the sofa for all the money I have commited. Has to be done, there is no car so good looking and untill they put a concept car into production I am wed to my RCZ R.
How much did that engine cost? 🙄

You could try a go fund me page 😇

Ian J.

Reaction score
Fair play to peugeot for designing a 270 BHP engine that can get close to 154,000 miles
I'm assuming there must be some major differences that means it doesn't suffer the same mechanical issues as the 156 thp

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think just about the only thing that’s the same is the Peugeot Badge.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s true dedication I take my hat off to you sir 👏👏👏

misterx

Reaction score
I'm not particularly technical but they said I would need a new top half and the cost of that was not far off the price of getting an exchange unit over from Peugeot in France. To dissasemble the engine, replace the top half etc would be labour intensive but to simply crane out the whole thing would cost more in the parts but far less in the labour. The old one has a trade in value. The replacement comes with a 12 month warranty.

The cost is mixed up with a routine service cost (it was due for service in 2000 miles so I said do that now) new brake pads and a few other bits. For example a new clutch as they will do that without a labour charge given that the engine will be out anyway! Bottom line is around £6k and I know people on here will say I could have saved £££s by doing other things or not using the main dealer but I am comfortable with it.

The car had just got past its seventh birthday so if I can get anywhere near seven years from the exchange engine I will be more than happy. If I had bought a new car it would depreciate by £6k in a year anyhow so I justify it to myself on costs grounds. Also better for the environment to reuse rather than buy from new. I have convinced me, but may not convince all you lot!!!

The game changer has to be that there is no better looking car than the R and to buy a replacement would have cost me more. Besides, there's still 6mm of tread on the tyres.

Flanners

Reaction score
Good Man Maths! Nice to know Peugeot still have a few exchange R engine's knocking about.

Woodso

Reaction score
Good job it is an R. I don't think I could get away with the cost of a new engine on mine, by saying to my missus that there was 6mm left on the tyres. There again, she doesn't believe that a car should have a service anyway.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Good job it is an R. I don't think I could get away with the cost of a new engine on mine, by saying to my missus that there was 6mm left on the tyres. There again, she doesn't believe that a car should have a service anyway.
+1 on that 😂

RCZ-R

Reaction score
That is truly bad news. I'd like to know what exactly happened to the top half of the block. Cracked head? Don't think so. Valves burnt out? Don't think either. Warped head due to heat? Maybe.

I wonder if the engine on mine would have gone at about 150k. I did close to 140k if I still remember correctly.
By the way, do you keep the failed engine or does it become part of the deal?

Flanners

Reaction score
it goes back to Peugeot on exchange basis

Top end.....oil issues? Oil pump failure, low oil........don't think it would be excessive wear given forged block/Mahle pistons......agree though on the R heat is definitely an issue so keeping tabs on oil and coolant important.

Pedro

Reaction score
Oil failure is a classic death sentence on direct injection engines that's why always check oil levels & have low mileage regular oil services even filthy oil will destroy an engine !

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Oil failure is a classic death sentence on direct injection engines that's why always check oil levels & have low mileage regular oil services even filthy oil will destroy an engine !
Yep. I might sound like a broken record but; keep the oil level on your RCZ petrol engines always at MAX! Don't trust the dashboard status on oil. Dive under the bonnet and give it a check every other 2000 miles.

!Keep.it.at.max!

I have kept mine always at MAX levels. The oil consumption was moderate and only under long-lasting full load the consumption was visible (about 0.5 Liter per 1000 miles)

Woodso

Reaction score
Whilst saying keep the oil at max, the dipstick is bloody impossible to trust. You cannot tell if it is at max or min, the dash warning is the only accurate indication. I have found that out by experience, thought I had oil in until the light came on, dipstick is unreliable.

Kerr

Reaction score
The dipstick on the R is clear.