What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Intermittent acceleration issue

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to ask for some advice, have an issue on my 200 which seems to be boost related and only seems to happen once the car has warmed up.

As i have an intake fitted the turbo spool up is quite loud plus the blow off sound and it sounds like the car is trying to dump boost constantly when trying to accelerate normally at times. It doesn't feel like a misfire but like the car is holding back every half second or so.

The issue is happening more frequently now but the car runs fine otherwise and accelerates fine at times.

Link to some vids to show how it sounds, may need to put volume to hear how it sounds.

Peugeot RCZ 200 boost issue - Windows up

Peugeot RCZ 200 boost issue - Windows down

Peugeot RCZ 200 boost issue - Shows how it does accelerate fine at times but right after same issue

Could this point to a boost leak etc?

Appreciated!

Pedro

Reaction score
Poss Overboosting this occurs when the Turbo runs at high pressure which is a symptom of too much forced Air into the Engine
Overboost happens Automatically when the car is in a certain gear/revs & is not controlled from the Throttle pedal!
The ECU reads the input pressure & adjusts the fuel/air mix to give the correct combustion ratio if its wrong this will probably affect the timing etc

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Seems to happen in every gear, even when taking off in first as normal you can hear it stuttering but not all the time, boost solenoid maybe?

Pedro

Reaction score
Numerous issues could arise when you have upgraded the Air intake obviously the more air you pump in the more fuel is needed you could be experiencing a Fuel Air mixture problem if the fault is from start off & through the gears during acceleration
The boost solenoid is a pointer but the Turbo wastegate is also a known to stick open which will affect the boost performance
You could be brutal & take off the intake & return it to stock parts then see if the fault occurs thus it will rule out Turbo malfunction the other one to watch for is the Turbo diverter valve a leaking or blown seal will affect the function of the Turbo system

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve heard of quite a few owners that have returned to stock after installing intake kits because of poor running.

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
I've had intake on for over a year and its been fine since i had it mapped so can't see it being that, i do have a gfb dv installed might check that

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Also it does drive fine at times and no fault codes but the issue will randomly start mostly when driven for awhile and its up to temp which is making it difficult to diagnose

Pedro

Reaction score
You are aware the Remap can affect the fuel delivery/pressure system & this is controlled via the ECU

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
You are aware the Remap can affect the fuel delivery/pressure system & this is controlled via the ECU
I know but ive had the map for over 30k miles and its been fine so cant see why it would be that, probably just get it looked at by a tuner or mechanic, needs proper diagnosis

Flanners

Reaction score
Well it's fuel, air or spark.....and you seem to have altered all of them on your car.

My advice would be to return to standard especially junk the 'custom air intake' and have a 'reliable car' but failing that go to a tech and mapper that know what they are doing as could be multitude hpfp, the DV failing, wastegate, turbo hose leak etc. What codes have you got?

Pedro

Reaction score
Smoke test will find anything leaky with the Air intakes you now have the age old problem of trial & error & a process of elimination

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
The eml has never come on since it started and ive tried scanning but no codes. It happens when the car is warming up now and drives quite rough but not as bad when up to temp. Feels like a misfire as when i hold revs you can hear a constant pulsing so dont think its boost.

Annoying as you'd expect eml to come on with a issue like this

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
it could be many things
you should go and check it
but from your description i would start from westagate and the ignition coils

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Finally managed to sort this, turned out the aftermarket vanos solenoids i fitted recently was the cause. Fitted genuine solenoids and car drives perfect again.

Buy genuine if you need to replace vanos solenoids