What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

I got a 2014 Red Carbon diesel, got some starter questions and comments

VirtuaIceMan

Reaction score
1. Is the car meant to have front parking sensors, as well as rear? Not had any beeps from the front when getting close to things.

2. The shocks seem to be knocking a bit over any kind of road imperfection. I've seen people mentioning this as a known thing with RCZs, if it's never been fixed yet, any tips what to ask Peugeot to do/check?

3. Front brakes on hot days squeals loudly when braking gently. I had this on a Celica GT 2006 before, am hoping it's not a warped brake disc, as I suspect they're a bit pricey?

4. I noticed that when turning wheel from lock-to-lock there's a slight "chirp" sound as you spin through the centre position. I'm not sure if it's the steering column or elsewhere in the steering, any ideas?

I'm also finding it hard to get comfortable, with pain in right-shoulder, despite trying chair high, low, in-or-out! I seem to have to drop steering column so low the wheel obscures the temp/fuel gauges to help a bit.

Finally, is the clutch meant to feel rather heavy and a little notchy? You only need to seem to depress it about halfway to change gears, or should it be pressed to the floor every time? I'm becoming a king of nearly stalling and/or bouncy 1st-to-2nd changes!

Oh and beware of trying to fit ISOfix seats in the rear; I caused a little damage to the seat lining trying to get it unlocked again, it's rather tight!

Pedro

Reaction score
parking sensors were fitted to the 200 GT-Sport but were an optional extra on the "R"
Continuous brake squeal usually means cheap brake pads
If your getting a slight slurping noise on the full lock check the power steering fluid for no leakage?
The seating positions are not to everyone's taste especially taller people
The clutch is a dual mass system & does feel a bit lumpy & depending on how you drive can be unusual to a new owner but you will soon get used to it

VirtuaIceMan

Reaction score
Cheers, sounds like the Red Carbon, despite having the aluminium gear knob and pop-up screen, may lack the front sensors?

The chirp sound I hear when turning lock-to-lock e.g. navigating at slow speed round estate. seems to be in the middle of the wheel turn, just a brief chirp.

Shocks popping over potholes seems to be fronts only, I guess ask Peugeot to have a look on that one?

Pedro

Reaction score
Your drop links would make a knocking noise over bumps The strut mount bearings were a problem on the earlier variants but not on later models don't forget the suspension on these cars is hard as nails so it takes time to get used to the ride

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If you have front parking sensors fitted, they should be visible. I have highlighted a couple of mine for you so you know where to look 👀

28BAB862-94DC-4D5B-83C9-DE58C727F38D.jpeg

nigelb

Reaction score
1. Is the car meant to have front parking sensors, as well as rear? Not had any beeps from the front when getting close to things.

2. The shocks seem to be knocking a bit over any kind of road imperfection. I've seen people mentioning this as a known thing with RCZs, if it's never been fixed yet, any tips what to ask Peugeot to do/check?

3. Front brakes on hot days squeals loudly when braking gently. I had this on a Celica GT 2006 before, am hoping it's not a warped brake disc, as I suspect they're a bit pricey?

4. I noticed that when turning wheel from lock-to-lock there's a slight "chirp" sound as you spin through the centre position. I'm not sure if it's the steering column or elsewhere in the steering, any ideas?

I'm also finding it hard to get comfortable, with pain in right-shoulder, despite trying chair high, low, in-or-out! I seem to have to drop steering column so low the wheel obscures the temp/fuel gauges to help a bit.

Finally, is the clutch meant to feel rather heavy and a little notchy? You only need to seem to depress it about halfway to change gears, or should it be pressed to the floor every time? I'm becoming a king of nearly stalling and/or bouncy 1st-to-2nd changes!

Oh and beware of trying to fit ISOfix seats in the rear; I caused a little damage to the seat lining trying to get it unlocked again, it's rather tight!
1 I had my front parking sensors stop working and it was bec I messed with something on the dash. Played about with settings or buttons and all back again

VirtuaIceMan

Reaction score
Following up, after taking car to Peugeot dealership (£120 for them to check over it)...

1. I don't have front sensors, checked (thanks @DKZ5745).

2. The knocking is ongoing; realised it goes "pop pop" as front and rear go over an imperfection in the road. Is this just how these cars are? Peugeot said it all looks okay underneath, their suggestion of a first thing to try would be to spend £600 replacing front shock absorbers... which might not fix the issue. You could say I'm a bit reticent on trying this!

3. Peugeot said a front disc is down to 23.8mm and they said 23mm is the limit, does this sound correct? Price is £229 fixed rate replacement (discs and pads).

4. The chirp sound (as the steering wheel moves through the centre position) they said might be related to suspension?! Sounds a bit suss to me. Not a major issue for me, but was more curious about it.

Is it worth going to a main dealer for work on an RCZ? I'm in the depths of North Devon so options are a bit more limited I'd suspect.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think this is a case of you pays your money and takes your choice.

Main dealers are always know, whatever the brand, to overcharge for the same service (sometimes not even as good a service) that you could get from a decent indie.
The only plus is that their mechanics should be more familiar with the car.

I used main dealers until last year. I had a Peugeot extended warranty and a service plan, so the car just went in & anything it needed it got.

I now use a recommended local indie garage as they are doing the same things as the dealers for a fraction of the price.

I would be tempted to find a well recommended local(ish) indie garage and ask them to check the points mentioned by your dealer. Tell them you’re looking for a reliable garage to do all your future services etc (they are less likely to rip you off if they think you might be coming back to them). See if they agree about the shockers/discs etc & if so, get a price from them & compare.

Let us know how you get on & what you decide.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
As for the “chirp” while turning the steering wheel, I would have thought it could be related to the power steering so that would be worth investigating too 🤔